It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 am

Post subject: Change bank by midi?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:32 pm 

Hi all!

I intend to buy the 555, but I would like to know if it really can do what I need:

I want to use it behind the stage and controll it by a self-made analog-to-midi-foot-switch with 16 buttons. Each button will be linked to a pad of the 555, so at the end each button will play a sample when pressed. Between the songs I have to change the samples that are linked to the buttons, to have new sounds available in the next song.

The problem is, that I can not go behind the stage to change the bank, I need to be able to do this on stage. I could use 1 (or 2) of the buttons of the midi-foot-switch to change the bank. But: Is it possible to change the bank by midi? If not - is there another way?

Looking forward to reading your inputs and wisdoms.
Thank you.
One&Only

Post subject: Re: Change bank by midi?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:37 pm 

You can't change banks by MIDI. The way that the 555 (and most of the SP series) works is a MIDI Note is assigned to each Pad starting from Pad 1 in Bank A and ending on Pad 16 in the last bank. Therefore, let's say Pad 1 Bank A is Note 37, Pad 1 Bank B would be 54, Pad 1 Bank C would be note 70.

I trigger samples on my 404 with a Behringer FCB1010 and I just have to link each footswitch to a different note. The FCB1010 has it's own footswitch banks so once I change to Bank 2, I sync up all of the notes on the footswitches with the notes on the 404.

This shit is pretty confusing and took me like two years to figure out how to do it. Basically, you need a footswitch that sends Note On commands (and I hacked the Behringer with a custom OS that you can buy online to send full velocity note on commands).