It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 am

Post subject: Is the 555 still useful without a computer?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:35 pm 

I I've been trying to use the 555 to arrange songs with all the separate parts on different pads. I can't get any of them to sync up 100% because I haven't figured out all the start/end point stuff. I don't have a decent computer to use with the 555 so I'm hoping I can solve all these problems on the machine itself. I've tried recording loops on live capture in every way possible. In free mode, 2 measures, 4 measures, and any other possible way, and I still can't get any of the loops to sync up.(I've tried both with and without a metronome) Is there a way I can fix these small errors without too much mess or work?

thanks,

Post subject: Re: Is the 555 still useful without a computer?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:02 pm 

Are you setting the BPM for each loop you are trying to record?

Gear:
Macbook, SP-555, Reason v.4, SH-201, MPC 1000, Serato Scratch Live, Ableton 8, MPK 25, Ernie Ball Musicman, and a pair of Technics = Loving life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:31 pm 

My process is something like this. I have my keyboard plugged into the mic line. I set the metronome, set the measure, and record a loop. Then I do this with another keyboard or guitar part etc. Then I try to play them together and they eventually stop syncing up rhythmically over time because they aren't perfect when I punch in and out with the foot switch. Is there a way to check the pads against each other so they work or should I try to use a different machine for what I want to do?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:00 pm 
Most Creative Producer of the Year '09

don't punch out unless you have to...

and if you do, resample the loop back into the loopcapture with the measure set right to the right bpm. if you let the measure mode end the loop they will not drift. ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:02 pm 

"resample the loop back into the loopcapture with the measure set right to the right bpm."

This sounds right but I'm not totally sure how to do this. Could you go into a little more detail on how to do this?

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:20 pm 

after the loop is saved to a pad. Goto the loop capture make sure the area is lit that says pads + Ext. ( it maybe a blinking light, I cant look right now) hit the measure length and hit rec. (not auto start.. That could also be your problem)

From there it will record your loop again, make sure you dont stop the recording early cause that will cause the drift as well.

Gear:
Macbook, SP-555, Reason v.4, SH-201, MPC 1000, Serato Scratch Live, Ableton 8, MPK 25, Ernie Ball Musicman, and a pair of Technics = Loving life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:23 pm 

get the sample you want

hit record on the loopcapture and start the sample at the same time

if you set the bpm, and the measure length right

it will square off and not drift

i wish i had a video camera... i would be doing these things alot easier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:26 pm 

I think I get it then. I'll try it out and post some results. Thanks for the help. Also, is there a way to set the measure lengths for stuff in 3/4 and other time signatures?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:42 pm 

smashatoms wrote:
I think I get it then. I'll try it out and post some results. Thanks for the help. Also, is there a way to set the measure lengths for stuff in 3/4 and other time signatures?

no but you could do the math, or if you just punch in and punch out correctly the first time, sample everything else at that tempo... but the metronome will be in triplets relatively

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:40 am 

just a tip,
... line input is more suited to keyboard levels than the mic input, and then u can play stereo sounds in too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:55 am 

cartesia wrote:
just a tip,
... line input is more suited to keyboard levels than the mic input, and then u can play stereo sounds in too.

Not for all synths. Most pro gear require a preamp.

I bought FS5U boss footswitch and now I can start/stop recording
hands free... if you are recording guitars it is very usefull.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:33 pm 

also if the source is too quiet record into the loop capture with a higher internal proccessing level up to 12db from 0db (cancel + start/end/level + ctnrl 3 knob) then after you record turn in it down to -3db and you have essestially boosted the signal 15 db. but press save to pad then PLAY and watch the LED to make sure it doesnt clip and turn the ctrl 3 knob until it doesnt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:37 pm 

crumbsucker wrote:
cartesia wrote:
just a tip,

Where did you read that? I've never heard of a synth that does not output at line level. (or higher!)

Certainly every synth I've ever used has never needed a preamp or mentioned anything about using one in the manual.

Preamps, and other kinds of amps are mainly just used to colour the sound if the effect is desired. if you want a plain, clear recording though, there is no need to use a preamp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:14 pm 

Thanks for all the help. Everything is working great now. I still can't quite figure out the math for other time signatures while using the live capture and measure stop at the same time though. But nevertheless I'm getting things done finally.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:06 am 

cartesia wrote:
crumbsucker wrote:
cartesia wrote:
just a tip,

Where did you read that? I've never heard of a synth that does not output at line level. (or higher!)

Certainly every synth I've ever used has never needed a preamp or mentioned anything about using one in the manual.

Preamps, and other kinds of amps are mainly just used to colour the sound if the effect is desired. if you want a plain, clear recording though, there is no need to use a preamp

Hmm I can't agree with that. For me, line level is level a nominal level of -10db that can be directly connected to amplifier (hi-fi amp or active monitors)... SP 555 for instance, Roland D2 groovebox Waldorf Microwave XT...
When you connect those devices to mixing desk they are inserted in stereo channels without coloration.
Speaking about instruments that require preamplification... I mean devices with outputs from +6 and +4 dbu, they need to be inserted in channels with gain controll (microphone input)... those are many many... most of 80's polysynths, my Roland JX-8P, Korg Electribe EA-1 Roland TB303 to name just a few.
In the manual they usualy are wired to a guitar amp-look-a-like box.
Guitar/key/bass amps first stage is pramplifier that adds gain/distortion if you want...
Not only standalone preamps and channel strips are preamps, preamps are also in the mixing consoles ya know.