It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 am

Post subject: MPD24 controlling SP-555?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:37 am 

Alright well I have researched this question and forgive me if it has already been addressed but I was not able to locate the answer in these forums or on the net but got something in the manual.

Can I hit the pads of my MPD24 and trigger the relative pads of the SP-555?

The reason being is that I am used to the MPC 4000s pads and have been playing live with Logic's ESX24 and the MPD since it first came out because I hate taking the 4k out live. But taking a computer has had very tragic reliability problems and since my mac is out of warranty it has cost a fortune and I have lost many projects I was working on. Earlier today I got a great deal on an SP-555 on ebay to use live instead of either the 4k or my computer. I have used the 555, 404, 303, 505, 606 before and have always just felt more comfortable on akai's pads. And since I have been using the MPD I now don't even like the 4k's pads as much and run the MPD through the midi to control the MPC. I know most people disagree with that and think the SP's pads are even better than than the MPD but its personal opinion I guess.

So I plan on running midi out of the MPD24 into the 555. I know the pads are in chromatic order and you cannot change the midi note, also have thought about dealing with changing the midi channel live to access the upper banks but I think I can deal with that for comfort. I also know how to program the MPD24 so that all the midi notes line up.

My problem though is that I am not sure if the 555 RECEIVES midi notes well. I have read a lot about using it as a controller sending midi notes but have not been able to find anything on its ability to RECEIVE them from a midi keyboard, trigger finger, mpd... you get the picture.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: MPD24 controlling SP-555?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:40 am 
Most Creative Producer of the Year '09

yea the sp 555 receives midi notes

if you can program you mpd make several scenes or presets that go in chromatic order to the notes of the 555

ive achieved relative sucess with my trigger finger doing it, but i deleted the preset on accident

im pretty sure it receives on two channels tho im not too sure

but if you try you'll get it

Post subject: Re: MPD24 controlling SP-555?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:48 pm 
555 Award Winner '09

just get used to the 555's pads youll see they are dope just got to have tooth picks for fingers lolz naw ... i got used to it pretty quick i had a mpc 500 before this for a short time and 555 prooved itself time and time again haha alright nuff my bull shite ....lol peace!!!!