It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

Post subject: Getting loops in sync with each other
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:37 am 

Ok so I've had my sp-555 a few days now. I was messing around with the save to pad workaround that someone just recently pointed out. I feel like I'm trying to use the sp-555 for something it just doesn't do. I was hoping to be able to lay down a beat, save to a pad, then lay down some bass, and save to a pad, then lay down some keys and save to a pad. Obviously I can do that but the problem is trying to get everything to sync up well.

The workaround for the 'save to pad' feature is tricky since you have to line up the start and end points of that resample with the endpoints of the loop. The regular to save to pad feature seems to just move the memory around. My difficulties may be because it is mostly analog sound and the beat is just a resample from one of the pattern sequencers. My playing might be part of it. But even if my playing is perfect, if I don't get the start and end points right, it wont work anyway.

I'm kinda new to some of this stuff. Anyone have any pointers? I feel like maybe I'm trying to make the sp-555 a multi-track sequencer which it isn't. I was hoping to be able to have these loops as seperate tracks that I could trigger independently instead of having just one overdubbed mass of loops.

I do have the limited versions of Cubase, SONAR and Ableton, plus a 2-channel audio/MIDI interface, plus a Micron. I even have an old stand-alone digital 12-track. Maybe my answer lies in the mating of some of this hardware. Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:00 pm 

First time poster here. I thought I’d chime in since I’ve had similar trouble. I’d say the main thing is to just practice getting those start and end points down perfectly. But if you’re using loop capture, try messing around with the “measure” and “auto start” settings. This should allow you to record several loops at pretty much the exact same BPM rate.

Also, since you have Ableton, you can also try exporting your loops and running them all through that. If you specify the right tempo, it should automatically warp the loops to the point that they’re in perfect sync. Then just save a couple of measures of each as individual wav files and re-import them into the 555.

I also wanted to give props to this forum. There are definitely a lot of talented and helpful people here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:20 pm 

Ya, the work around is tricky but with practice u can get it right everytime. The workaround is mainly for live use. No real sense in going through all that trouble if your just working on a track in studio. Best thing would be to just create loops and then save to pad. Another thing you may find usefull is u can use the 555s pattern sequencer to create your patterns and then record them to the loop capture using the set amount of measures. then u can be sure our loops are on point. Also, I would stay away from auto start. using auto start slices off the first few miliseconds of your loop. Which will eventually throw the timing off.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:39 pm 

Man I'm lovin the sp-555. I still gotta practice with the workaround though. If only there was a way to use the pedal to start/stop the resample button or even better the sample button. Like I've said before I'm using this as a glorified looping pedal so far and I'm having tons of fun.

From the manual:

The displayed BPM value is an approximation derived from
the sampled time, and may not be accurate.

Depending on the BPM value, the time corresponding to the
BPM may not precisely match the time from the start point to
the end point. For this reason if you use
“Loop playback” (p.17) to continuously play a sample for an extended time, the timing will gradually drift.

So I guess to avoid this I would have to sample everything with a specified tempo and not just a calculated tempo derived from the start/end points. Is this correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:12 am 

Wow. I was in the same boat. I was looking for a multi-tracking solution and almost dumped the Sp-555 for a 606. Some of the other things I wanted to do- the 606 doesn't do either.

I use a pedal and start sampling/loop capture at the start of the measure no matter where I intend to start laying down melodies. I transfer the sample to a pad and retrigger it on the one and it stays on beat since I DON'T use the loop playback to run my captured phrase along with the main sequence.

For some modules like drums or phrases that 'begin on the one' I will use the auto start, but once you combine a pedal it's dead easy. What I'll do even- is play the phrase over and over getiing it right and when I feel it -I punch in. Much better than setting up a count in and hoping to play it perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:30 pm 

Yeah that's what I'm doing with the pedal too. Play it over and over and then punch in when it feels good. I've already come up with a bunch of really cool stuff I never would have been able to do without the sp-555. But I think we're confusing terms. By "loop playback" I mean the loop setting for any pad not just the loop capture section.

I found this in the manual too:
Quote:
Since Loop Capture and Sampling use different internal
processing, the length of a phrase recorded by Loop Capture
will not precisely match the length of the sample saved in the
pad. For this reason, the sample’s BPM may be slightly
different, or even if the BPM values are the same, timing drift
may occur if you loop the sound for an extended time.

I was originally thinking recording with a specified tempo would help this but then in the loop capture section I found this:
Quote:
The BPM value displayed after recording is an approximation
derived from the recorded time, and will not be exact.

And that's from recording with a specified tempo!

I dunno why I'm making such a fuss about it though. You can always sync pads up to a sequencer which I have figured how to do with my micron now. And yes griffin, the micron is a little toyish looking but it's still awesome!!!

I guess my point is this - no matter what precautions you take (aside from using an external program), anything sampled on the sp-555 may not perfectly sync up with another sample of the same BPM. However, it may be many minutes of synchronized loop playback before you notice this. I'll do some tests to see

Post subject: Re: Getting loops in sync with each other
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:43 pm 

The first method is to count your loops. Once you've finished crocheting the last loop in the row, count out loud from 1 to the number of stitches you have. If there's a loop missing, this will tell you where it went awry. I have to get essay writing services so that I could complete my work on time. The second method is to examine the stitches visually and look for any gaps between them—if there are any, that's where your mistake occurred. Even if there aren't any gaps, it's still a good idea to double check using the counting method. Both of these methods may sound tedious, but they're actually very quick once you get into the habit of doing them. These are both great ways to prevent having to do much more tedious work later!