It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

Post subject: Some Advice on Buying an Sp-555
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:12 pm 

Hey fam,

Have found a pretty cheap sp-555 for sale locally that looks like it's in good condition, however it has no memory card.

1. Will I be able to sample into the internal memory to test the pads etc. with just an rca a la the sp404sx (I have a lil experience with a 404sx but none with the 555);

2. Does anyone know if problems with card readers are common? Is it safe to go ahead and buy this ting without knowing if the card reader works? The lad selling it says he bought it without a card 6 years ago and hasn't really touched it.

3. Is there anything else that I should look out for when testing the machine?

Cheers for your help.

Post subject: Re: Some Advice on Buying an Sp-555
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:24 pm 

1. The internal memory has approx. 5 mins sampling time. The 555 is very similar to the 404 but has some really exceptional features... You'd feel right at home there if you're familiar with the sx.

Can't answer your other questions, sorry. I bought mine second hand with the memory card and use the heck out of it and not experienced any problems... this one sat idle for 6 years? Maybe it's like new? What does a new memory card cost??

SP-808 | SP-202 | SP-303 | SP-555 | SP-404sx | OP-1 | Ableton 10 | Tascam 244 | Adobe Audition 1.5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:34 am 

You'll only be able to sample to the first two channels (A & B) without a memory card. Still a great sampler if you can find a CF card.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:54 pm 

Make sure the inputs/outputs are legit. For instance the ins/outs of my SP505 are damaged. So I have to use the mic input to sample and listen to it from the headphone out. As long as it doesn’t need any repair you’re probably good. One more thing to check is the memory card slot. If it’s damaged, then you’ll never be able to use a memory card with it. Bring a magnifying glass and peek inside. If there’s even one bent copper prong inside, don’t buy it.

Otherwise, you’re golden.