It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

Post subject: Sync question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:42 pm 

I don't thought but this sync issue is becoming a serious problem.
I record a loop 1 with "loop capture" and save to pad, then record a loop 2 (of the same lenght) and save to another pad. Now I play at the same time the 2 pads. After some times it goes gradually out of sync!

The question: If I record the loop 1 with a Boss RC (loop station) and play the loop 2 using the pad on 555, they will are on sync forever? And if I also record a loop 3 with the integrated looper of my keyboard, the 3 loops will are on sync?

Post subject: Re: Sync question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:40 am 

Loops of the same bpm on the LEDs are only aprox the same length (see manual) so they are always going to drift if you don't retrigger them.

To get them looping in time together use the sequencer to trigger them (loop and gate off on samples and use quantise to trigger them together). The Sequencer is what I use to 'square' off my samples together.

You can always loop capture them looping together in the sequencer if you want them to end up as a sample.

But with the sequencer you can add fx to individual samples and copy sequences to make variations.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:06 pm 

Gary_Rock wrote:
... if you don't retrigger them.

To get them looping in time together use the sequencer to trigger them (loop and gate off on samples and use quantise to trigger them together). The Sequencer is what I use to 'square' off my samples together.

Hi Gary, I've never done a re-trigger procedure. I've searched in the manual but there isn't a retrigger guide or sequencer. How can I do that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:15 pm 

Retrigger means that when the loop has run you push it again to run it again - so not in loop mode. You need loop and gate off for this. It's what the mpc dudes do in all the mpc videos ;) hit the sample and drum over it and then hit the sample again.

Or use the sequencer.

The sequencer is in the manual but what I do is use the quantize to line up the sample or samples that I want to loop with the beginning of the sequence and it will loop with the sequence. To make that easier make sure you turn off the loop and gate on the samples as they will loop in the sequencer now - as it effectively retriggers for you. Then edit it and leave quantize off and drum over the top.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:50 pm 

Hi Gary! Yeah, you're helping me so much! I'm beginning to understand. Very thanks!
Tonight I will try and hope it will go well. I'll tell you the result! :)

I'm wrong or what I must do is the guide in chapter "Recording a pattern" (in the manual)?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:16 pm 

Well, I have created a pattern correctly but I can't play 2 pattern at the same time. Maybe I have not said a thing.

I recorded a "line 1" and save to pad, then I recorded a "line 2" (not overdubbed on the line 1!) and save to another pad. So I have 2 different lines on 2 pads. I have to start "line 1" and after some times start the "line 2" and after some times I have to remove "line 2".
To do this with sequencer I must create a pattern with line 1 and another pattern with line 2 overdubbed with line 1. When I want to enter line 2, I play the second pattern. Is this what you said? But in this case, it's the same thing if I create 2 "normal" samples (with loop capture) without pattern. I think it's obvious that if I play a sample with the 2 lines overdubbed they don't go out of sync. But I'd like to hold separate the 2 lines. And I already must use pattern for the beat.
I'm right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:11 pm 

Try sequencing the line one and the line two on one pattern and a second pattern with just line one. Ie the sequencer can handle lots of samples at the same time. Eventually you will run out of voices and have to sample the sequencer back to one sample but don't worry about that yet.

To get two samples triggering lay one down and than when it loops around lay the next one in.

Patterns are like the parts of a song. So a build up in the song may use more than one pattern.

While the sequencer is playing you can still use loop capture with Ext only set to grab another layer from a guitar or a synth or something.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:24 am 

Ok, it's how I was thinking but I'm not able to play 2 patterns at the same time. Is it possible? Because I have to use always a pattern for the drum line and then I can't start at the same time the patterns with the guitar loops!

Other thing:
- If I record a guitar line that I send in a loop with a loop station Boss RC,
- then record a line with a keyboard that I send in the loop with the internal looper of the keyboard,
- then play a looping sample or pattern with my Sp555 sampler

the 3 loops will remain in sync even after several minutes? (songs are from 7 to 15 minutes)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:04 am 

You don't need to play more than one pattern at a time usually, you just copy the drum pattern and add the guitar line. Then copy it again and add the guitar and synth lines. 3 patterns with different layers. With pattern copy command this is easy.

If you need to be able to bring more loops into and out of the mix create more patterns.

To drop loops form the mix go back to earlier patterns.

Your other kit will have the same issue with loop lengths. To get the samples to play together you need to bring it together in one device.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:01 am 

Ok. Now it's clear... thanks Gary :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:59 am 

Hi guys, another thing about sync:

If I buy a Electro Harmonix 2880 (looper with midi interface) and connect it via midi with SP555, the drum pattern playing on SP555 will be in sync with the various loops playing on looper 2880?

Someone that have the 2880 could confirm that this midi sync with SP555 works well?

thanks to all!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:37 pm 

I think it should be fine as the sequencer on the 555 will run in perfect BPM time (not the fractions of a BPM that the samples end up in). And the Looper pedal will do the same. If you set the tempo using the set tempo to sample tempo feature it might not be in perfect time anymore? Not sure.

Don't have the pedal I'm affraid so I can't confirm.

I've just started to use two 555's MIDI'ed together and I can queue the next sequence to be automaticaly triggered using the HOLD key and then start it using the change of sequence on the MIDI Master 555. The 555 just keeps on amazing me!