It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:15 am

Post subject: sp-303 error number 8
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:14 pm 

Hello, I have recently purchased this unit from ebay and whenever turned on it shows the number 8. From looking at the manual I read that there's a soldering problem with the dsp and effect modules. I have recently started dabbling with electronics and soldering, however I am still a complete newb so was wondering if anyone's had the same problem and sorted it out or know how to fix it? Thank you.

Post subject: Re: sp-303 error number 8
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:39 am 

I don’t own a 303 HOWEVER have a look on here https://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2944

There seems to be some useful information there for you to that you could use until someone gets around to addressing your specific issue :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:43 am 

thanks for that, I've seen it and there's a second one as well, however neither really answer what can be done to fix it :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:51 am 

Have you tried any of these? There's options to reset the machine, get the OS, and the last one seems to mention what you already know. but dresses error "8" and what you could do to further investigate it. Hopefully this can somewhat help!

"ever tried to initialize the internal memory?

hold 'del+cancel+remain' and then turn the machine on.
That always helped me."

"If there is a hardware reset like fauna is guessing then I'd try that first, but most likely you'll have to try re-installing the OS. The machine isn't dead if it powers up and displays a message so there might be some hope" - "Get it from the roland site then load it on your mem. card and put it in the machine to load it. There might be a button combo to load it when the card is in the 303 but it'll say in the manual."

"When the screen displays "Err" it is stating there is a problem (0-14) which in case you had error "8". Here's what I've found:

(Solder and pattern defection around the DSP IC and EFFECT RAM IC. Solder and pattern defection between the DSPIC and CPU IC. Device defection of DSP IC or EFFECT RAM IC.)

Worst case scenario an actual component is bad, but from what it sounds like after you dropped it and it worked (momentarily) you probably somehow wedged a broken connection back together. It could be that some soldered component is not stuck on the board anymore after prolonged use and needs to be resoldered or there is a broken trace between two points. I would immediately open it up and check thoroughly looking for anything that looks loose or tarnished. Put up some pictures of the board too so it would help us help you further. Hope you find something! Good luck"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:36 pm 

Almost everything in our life is relative and symbolic, so I always consult with the stars before starting something new https://www.sunsigns.org/eleven-symbolism-numerology/ . It always helps me make the right choice.