It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:48 am

Post subject: Turntables and Keyboards?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:52 pm 

I have a SP-606 and I just bought a Behringer Xenyx 2222FX Mixer (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=631273)

I am also looking to buy a keyboard to hook up to the Mixer anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer a $200-300 range.

Also I see some people use Turntables and there are different sorts of turntables. Can anyone explain to me what the difference is between the turntables. Also explain what the turntables are used for.

Little info: I am using this equipment to produce/make music and also DJing.

Any information would help me out, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:20 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

Quote:
I am also looking to buy a keyboard to hook up to the Mixer anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer a $200-300 range.

no offence man but the style of music your probably into(judging by your name) your into that southern generic sound. You might want to just try out the sounds and get the cheapest keyboard -maby yamaha or casio. But then again I could be completly wrong- you never said exactly what you want in a keyboard.

Quote:
Also explain what the turntables are used for.

c'mon man, this is a very friendly and helpful site- but you cant be askin shit like that.

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:27 pm 

Turntables are used for different things. In the context of this board mainly for sampling. You can also use them for DJing(you would need 2 for this) and Scratching. I would look for an analog modeling synth on ebay as far as a keyboard goes.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:57 am 

I am actually into all music. And you have to start somewhere, why not ask questions. It doesnt effect me when I get criticized. Im still gonna do what Im gonna do.

I want to buy music equipment and I just dont know what to buy. I want to make beats and produce. And I guess learn about DJing. So I have the SP-606 and ordered the mixer, 99% chance im getting a keyboard for the beats. Also a mic. Any suggestions?

I just want to get a keyboard that will hook up to my mixer, I looked at a few and it only has a USB coming out of the keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:54 am 

LilWayne wrote:
It doesnt effect me when I get criticized. Im still gonna do what Im gonna do.

damn it, I guesse I have to try harder to crush your dream of producing music. :P

LilWayne wrote:
I want to buy music equipment and I just dont know what to buy.

Dont go crazy spending $. Working with a small budget is a good way to find yourself and develope a steez.

Also give us an idea of what kind of artist you want to be. be honest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:47 am 

I want to make beats. Hip-hop beats mostly. I want to make the beats and then maybe eventually put a hook on it or have one my friends rap over it.

I want a keyboard so I can be different and not just have the SP-606 to use. I want to use both sometimes for one beat. So put the keyboard down, record that then add onto it with the 606. I have a record player so I can sample off that.

I would like to scratch I suppose. Be a DJ/Make mixtapes. I would like to do something like this:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/484565049992e5/

Just listen to the beginning.. i guess the guys scratching it.. I would like to do stuff like that. But I don't know how people exactly do that, do they use one turntable only? Also do you have the instrumental and you scratch the acapella?

Again, you gotta start somewhere :o So any help would be great. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:16 am 

I dont know whats available thru software and shit but the traditional way to do this is 2 turntables and a mixer. Thats gonna cost a lot of money. maby figure out a cheaper alternative.
to tell you the truth, that snippet wasnt too impressive. If thats all your looking to do maby just keep your 1 turntable and learn some simple tricks with the sampler.

maby you wanna go beyond the skill level in that snippet and be a all out DJ. Just keep in mind that eventually your gonna have to spend good money on gear and vinyl and put in some years DITC.

you allready have a turntable and a sampler- go ahead and make something- experment, do some shit no one ever did before. thats what hip hop is all about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:20 am 

just remember that scratching is an art, like beat making is an art and they are rarely paired well. if u ever go live and have to scratch some shit u recorded, u better be your on your 1s and 2s man.

check out shadow! he is good at scratching and he produces at home, one his best albums was made on a mpc60 and a turntable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:39 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I would buy a MicroKorg keyboard and two Nu-mark ttx turntables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:38 pm 

Thanks for all the advice.. looks like im going to have to do some research. I kind of want to get some musical equipment for christmas.. but looks like i will only get a mic since I will have the Mixer/Keyboard/SP-606/Audio Interface.