It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:33 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good news! aka the Look What I Just Got thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:20 pm 

Danswift wrote:
^^^^
Maybe take a look at the Virus synths? ..these are very dope machines .

https://www.virus.info/virusti/overview

Not sure whether your post was aimed at me or Headphones, but just in case it was me, no I'm not interested in those. Although they're good synths they are way over-priced IMHO. I don't like the controls being laid out to the left on the 61 key, and they're asking about one and a half grand just for the module version so I dread to think what the 61 key must cost.

No way bro, I mean to put that into context consider the MPC X you were talking about, it's basically a 'super-module', infinitely more capable than the Virus and can be had for the same price as the Virus module. The most I'd pay for a brand new Virus module is £300, and even then I'd still have to think about it.

Not dissing the synth itself, I just think it's way over-priced and always have.

Headphones wrote:
I got a free Galaxy tablet computer from work today. I’m sure there’s some music synths/drum programs worth check out. Now I kinda have the best of iOS and now Android to play with.

Can't stand touch-screens personally but congrats dude, especially if you like using them.
Personally though, I'd sell it and put it towards some proper music grear!

BTW, I see you have your twirly purple and gold Christmas decorations up already :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:29 pm 

No, just memes about Mariah Carey’s worst holiday song coming. My work is planning on keeping me busy, so I’ll try to work as much ot as I can so I can invest in gear. Roland’s got 2 new boutique synths coming, but I doubt you’ll be happy with their tiny form factor regardless of model. (But it has regular midi if you have a decent controller). Speaking of which, I’m gonna need to investigate if there’s a midi controller that’s Android compatible. If I can have the AGalaxy tablet sequence my Yamaha or Behringer Crave, and use my iPhone to toss in for effects, then that’s a sweet setup right there I’d imagine! My dad wants to do a road trip to California in April with me, so I’ve just GOT TO have a SP404 mk2 to bring along. The OG would suffice if I can’t get it by then, but I’d like to show my dad some decent beats in a hotel room as we smoke weed.

Anyway, I’m new to Android and always refused to use it before, but it’s simple enough to figure out when you got a gmail account setup. I made a fuss for no reason all these years I guess. I haven’t purchased a single app on it yet, but I might buy FruityLoops for it this weekend. We’ll see. But I can run Caustic, which I kinda sorta am familiar with.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:21 am 

Don't forget to bring a microphone if you go on a road trip with the MKII :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:02 pm 

I’ll pick this up in 2 weeks. Can’t beat a $75 drum machine.

Attachments:
379652C6-0897-4CDB-9B39-4EE9E80E5C20.jpeg
379652C6-0897-4CDB-9B39-4EE9E80E5C20.jpeg [ 128.42 KiB | Viewed 10209 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:55 pm 

Headphones wrote:
I’ll pick this up in 2 weeks. Can’t beat a $75 drum machine.

I still have mine. Its the last of the best of Akai!

Here is what I didn't know about it until I took it out the box.

-MIDI In and Out (Great controller for Volca Sample2)

-6 AA batteries (So its portable to carry with an SP)

-Sounds are HUGE and you can turn it into a synth to play melodies over the drums.

-The PADS! The best ever, don't know why Akai and Roland don't make em like that anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:01 pm 

Ill Green wrote:

Here is what I didn't know about it until I took it out the box.

-MIDI In and Out (Great controller for Volca Sample2)

-6 AA batteries (So its portable to carry with an SP)

-Sounds are HUGE and you can turn it into a synth to play melodies over the drums.

-The PADS! The best ever, don't know why Akai and Roland don't make em like that anymore.

subscribe, those pads were magical!
plus you have a 3traks seq for 75dollars!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:38 pm 

Looks nice, but wouldn't it be pointless having one when you're getting an SP-404MKII?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:25 am 

What can I say? Easier to carry 700 sounds in a $75 drum machine with a mono in. Not too many drum machines offer audio in (a Boss DR5 had the feature), but I could use it for congas, vocal Samples (uhhhh, yyyyeeeeaahh! C’mon!, etc), so it’s just another device for triggering sounds to me. It can tide me over until I get a SP404 mk2. Or Behringer EDGE.

All I need is $55 & tax and I bring it home next paycheck. Easy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:10 pm 

Well it's funny how gear goes, and right now I'm really missing and regretting returning that OPSIX, especially as they just released a super-cool update for it (although it still has no touch-wah on a fucking FM synth that literally cries out for one) and I just saw the 61 key version that was supposed to be getting released and it's one of those designs with the controls all shoved to te left. I bloody hate that so uless they release a module version I can't see me rebuying an OPSIX regardless of how much I like it.

Same with the Wavestate, they even updated it to allow importing your own multi-samples, absolutely brilliant, it was the one major flaw of the Wavestate and it has been fixed, but it's still that stupid three ocatave keyboard format the same as the OPSIX. If the OPSIX and Wavestate were both avilable as modules I'd buy both in a heartbeat and be super-trouper-happy with both.

The only alternative is to buy those stupid three octave versions and cut-off the keyboards, make them into modules. Normally that would not be a problem for me, I have the engineering skills to do it right and make it look right, but where I live now I have no workshop to do a proper job of it, and unless I was confident I could make it look factory spec, I would never attempt it, and I'm not sure I could without a workshop.

What a bummer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:56 am 

Yeah, I can’t think of too many new rackmount synths out there. Even The big 3 (Korg, Yamaha & Roland) haven’t released one in years. Probably Daws & VSTs are the main culprit for this. So I think you might have to just accept the WaveState or OPSix for their strengths/weaknesses. Some people sell gear, then buys it back later. After the prices go down. Maybe it’s possible to just remove the keys to these synths, just so you have a desktop synth with all their knobs, but you just control them from a different midi controller. But it probably won’t be pretty. And I don’t know if the circuits would be exposed to dust or exposure to heat/humidity in your studio.

But again, I’d just get the synth you’ll be happy with, if you can find one that makes you happy. I bought a Korg EA-1 4 times. The 4th is my last. I won’t sell it. Do I love it? Not entirely. Hate the ring mod on it, but it is what it is. A virtual analog 2 part synth. So best of luck to ya!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:46 am 

Headphones wrote:
But again, I’d just get the synth you’ll be happy with, if you can find one that makes you happy. I bought a Korg EA-1 4 times. The 4th is my last. I won’t sell it. Do I love it? Not entirely. Hate the ring mod on it, but it is what it is. A virtual analog 2 part synth. So best of luck to ya!

that's why i still keep the yamaha an200 with me, 4 parts virtual analog desktop synth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:58 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
ASM HYDRASYNTH

Well worth a look IMO.

http://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/hydrasynth-key

More goodness...

Modal Electronics Cobalt 8

This is a really nice synth for the money it costs...again well worth checking out and one I'm considering going for myself.

https://www.modalelectronics.com/cobalt8/

Also this .

Behringer DEEPMIND 12

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0AC5

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:26 pm 

Thanks for the links homie, I think they're all cool synths to be honest but I decided I really need something multisample-based as a main synth.

The problem with those wavetable-type synths is they never seem to cut it as either an analogue replacement or a multisample replacement. They feel (and sound) very niche to me, something that would be nice to own if you already had the other avenues covered.

From a sheer power, sound quality and versatility point of view, I honestly think the Korg Wavestate and OPSIX are by far the best options out there (by quite a considerable margin as well). I was considering waiting for the 61-Key version of the Wavestate, but it being a Korg product means it'll cost up to three times the price of the three octave version even though it's exactly the same machine inside, and I refuse to be ripped-off like that so there's no point me waiting for it.

To put that into perspective, for the same price I reckon Korg would ask for the 61 key Wavestate, I could buy a Wavestate, an OPSIX, and even an 88-Key controller keyboard (with aftertouch) to play them from and still have cash left over. This would be perfectly doable as well cause they all react to aftertouch anyway (like I said, the synth inside is identical).

Since I'm not prepared to pay what will be severely over-inflated prices for the 61-key versions anyway, what I intend to do is buy a three-octave Wavestate now and wait to see if they release a module version of the OPSIX to add to it.

That would give me two very 80s synths in a very compact setup to feed the SP-404MKII. I love FM far too much not to own an OPSIX, and the OPSIX knocks even Yamaha's own modern take on FM out of the water.

I forgot to mention this when I had the MODX, but it's true, the OPSIX is on another level of FM synthesis while the MODX, while improved, really isn't that advanced in comparison. The OPSIX blew it out of the water even before the update it just got, so the possibilities now are even more insane (as in seriously insane - acoustic piano done in FM insane).

As for the Wavestate, it now has a whopping 4GB of custom sample storage that can be used both in the Wave-Sequencing and Multi-Sample engines. It also has four layers that can individually accept having settings loaded into it each layer (similar to having four parts), meaning I could fill it with a bunch of Mellotron, Fairlight, Harpsichord and Organs, load at will into each layer seperately, and blend between them using the Vector control. I would (literally) never need another sample-based synth, ever, if I had that!

So I think that's what I'll do, continue to go for the compact setup as in SP-404MKII and a three-octave Wavestate to feed it. If they later start adding module versions then I'll add a module version of the OPSIX to the Three-Octave Wavestate.

If a module version of the OPSIX never comes, I'll just have to have it in Three-Octave just like the Wavestate. Ergonomics is really important for me. Imagine how compact a Three-Octave Wavestate with an OPSIX module placed directly above it would be. Then place an SP-404MKII to the right of the Wavestate and that's the maximum footprint.

That's a very compact and powerful setup with comfortable ergonomics, and both synths have full-size MIDI In and OUT on full-sized DIN, so perfect!

I already pre-ordered the SP-404MKII so it looks like the Wavestate is my next purchase and I almost bought one today for less than £500 brand new, which isn's bad considering it wasn't long ago they were selling for £699. I can even pick-up a brand new OPSIX for £50 less than I paid last time, and it was already cheap last time!

Doesn't look as if I'm going to see my 404MKII until at least January though :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:24 am 

ellaguru wrote:
Headphones wrote:

that's why i still keep the yamaha an200 with me, 4 parts virtual analog desktop synth

I still have my AN200/DX200s, but they’re at the pawn shop unfortunately. Gonna try to bring them home when I can get around to it. I have to keep up with other bills plus that CS2x synth I have on layaway.

The AN200/DX200s only sequence 1 bar though. My Crave does 2 bars, and the EA-1 can do 4.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:54 am 

Headphones wrote:
I still have my AN200/DX200s, but they’re at the pawn shop unfortunately. Gonna try to bring them home when I can get around to it. I have to keep up with other bills plus that CS2x synth I have on layaway.

The AN200/DX200s only sequence 1 bar though. My Crave does 2 bars, and the EA-1 can do 4.

the 1 bar thing is the most thing i hate about the an200:)) damn couldn't they had thought a better seq that this?
ps
the dx200 is very hard to find, at least here in europe, i like how it sounds and that's why i bought the volca fm (wich is cool)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next