It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good news! aka the Look What I Just Got thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:46 am 

SP-USER wrote:
Well after that one, Meerol, I'm just waiting to see Headphones' latest bot-meme response :mrgreen:

Outta the World Wide Web, WHY spammers use this site is beyond me. But yeah, I’ll try to fuck with them back! Lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:02 pm 

Yeah but probably worth it just to see your responses, that last one was the best so far :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:09 pm 

I just came across this new video from Gabe Miller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_wFFHWCwUs

Skip to 3:20 and watch what he does; he loads-up a sample and plays it both chromatically and polyphonically. He also changes octave and it still works which suggests to me that it maps the sample across the entire keyboard.

That's great, absolutely fantasic, but he's playing it from the MC-101's own pads in this video, so I'm wondering if it would work the same if played from a MIDI keyboard controller connected via MIDI DIN.

If I were to buy a Roland A-49 for example, would it map the sample across the full keyboard so that I can play it in the same manner, as in both chromatically and polyphonically?

Man, if it can do that, that's absolutely fantastic, I could have gone for the MC-101 right from the bloody start if it can do that! I desperately need to find something that is packed with a good pallette of instruments so I can use it to feed an SP-404MKII when I finallly get my hands on one!

After the shitty luck I've been having with gear, it would be really nice to finally find something that can do what I'm wanting. Extra cool is that it would be an 'All-Roland' setup if it works:

- Roland A-49 as controller keyboard
- Roland MC-101 as sound source
- Roland SP-404MKII as production tool

PLEASE
, someone tell me it does that, my sanity and mental health depends on it, cause if it doesn't, I think I'll be needing the good old 'Heads in the Lampshades' treatment myself!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:53 pm 

I don’t own those 3 products, but if I did, I’d probably be as happy as a pig in slop! But I’d want my other gear to be in the setup. Which would mean a midi merger or patch bay, a bigger table, and a bigger room somehow.

But yeah, there’s probably a Roland message board or Gearfacts to ask this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:11 pm 

Hello SP USER,
I wouldn't recommend the MC-101 because you can't fully edit patches on the unit. I bought and sold the Novation Circuit twice until I realized that a groovebox/synthesizer for me had to be fully editable standalone.
I love my MC-505, it has some menu diving but is fully programmable and I love its 90's sound. Maybe the MC-707 would be something for you, especially if you only want to have one device as a sound source. Also fully programmable standalone and the zen engine is modern and sounds great!

I'm a hands-on guy and my groovebox solution - which shall replace my mc-505 - for my upcoming house/techno project looks like this: Digitakt + KS Rack. This gives me a drum and one-shot sampler, a powerful midi sequencer that I use to control and sequence the KS Rack. The KS Rack is a Novation KS4/5 without the keyboard. It has 4 polyphonic virtual analog synthesizer voices. Each voice has 3 oscs, 2lfos, 2 envelopes and you can cast up to 6 different effects on each voice! It's a poor man's access virus. But look at the user interface:
https://c1.zzounds.com/media/productmed ... e51180.jpg
Everything within reach! That's how I love it! And the knobs send MIDI CC data that I can record directly into the Digitakt.

Ultimately, I plan to use Digitakt + KS Rack for drums and instruments and OG 404 for samples. All of this goes into the SP-808, which I use to do the song arrangement at the end.

But the EP i am currently working on with my MC-505 is not finished. And i am working on a TripHop-EP on the 808, too. :lol:

But for sure the 404 mkii is just as suitable as a production tool for EDM stuff. You can record phrase samples while his sequencer is running or pads are playing, this is great. You can record all your sequences into it and get your final arrangement/mix done there. Like i do on the 808.

What kind of music you want to produce? I read you are more into the EDM stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:54 pm 

TGN wrote:
I wouldn't recommend the MC-101 because you can't fully edit patches on the unit. I bought and sold the Novation Circuit twice until I realized that a groovebox/synthesizer for me had to be fully editable standalone.

cool to know i was about buyng one in a pawn shop in december, but when i saw it hadn't an ac/dc plug i avoided it (i knew after that you could make the usb adapter trick, but...).

TGN wrote:
I'm a hands-on guy and my groovebox solution - which shall replace my mc-505 - for my upcoming house/techno project looks like this: Digitakt + KS Rack.

cool, always loved the 505 sound (i have a JV1080 and i had a roland D2: it's the same engine as the 505), and i have an mc909 (roland XV engine), the piano roll/micro-seq is a beast, sampler is ok, the sound is a bit cold compared to the JV/D2/505 but it has a very nice compressor inside;)
btw, how do you find the Digitakt? always intrigued but it, but never understood why Elektron make only mono stuff...seq is magic, but still...

TGN wrote:
But for sure the 404 mkii is just as suitable as a production tool for EDM stuff

i have doubts on that, i mean, the 404 seq is far less capable compared to mc505/mc909/sp606/sp808/sp505 etc: no micro editing, midi out not well developed etc...still it could be a good add to help to produce edm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:25 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
cool, always loved the 505 sound (i have a JV1080 and i had a roland D2: it's the same engine as the 505), and i have an mc909 (roland XV engine), the piano roll/micro-seq is a beast, sampler is ok, the sound is a bit cold compared to the JV/D2/505 but it has a very nice compressor inside;)
btw, how do you find the Digitakt? always intrigued but it, but never understood why Elektron make only mono stuff...seq is magic, but still...

It is mono yes, but it's got panning and stereo hall and delay... you can throw a lfo on the pan. I like that its capable of complete adsr-envelopes. And that you can easily edit parameters per step. It is brilliant for ebm-drums. I sampled all drumsounds of the dr-202 into it, then sold the dr-202. :D
Long phrase sampling + sequencing? Forget the Digitakt. Here my OG 404 does this job way better!

Strange, but somehow i like to hammer unquantized boombap-beats into the Digitakt, too. The pads - no they are more like big buttons - feel like a big 90's pc-keyboard to me where you can hack in.

Uh, MC-909...do you have a track somewhere online, completely produced on that beast?

ellaguru wrote:
i have doubts on that, i mean, the 404 seq is far less capable compared to mc505/mc909/sp606/sp808/sp505 etc: no micro editing, midi out not well developed etc...still it could be a good add to help to produce edm

You're def right! I thought of the mkii more as an arranger-tool for house/techno/ebm. For recording stems, recording drums, bass, melody, vocals....long phrase-samples and then mix'em all together.
But listen to this guy, he made a house-ep with the 404 sx only with resampling: https://sublevelmusic.bandcamp.com/album/sp-404-jams
Not bad, I like "Keep The Party Live"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:40 pm 

TGN wrote:
Uh, MC-909...do you have a track somewhere online, completely produced on that beast?

i never published i single not with the 909, and i have it since 2011:)); i think i just partecipate in some particular sp-battles with it in 2014 or 2015 who knows; i never used it so much like in those last year, so now i discvered other little tricks on parameter locking-ish and some fake-probability sequencing; btw i have something in preparation (more dnb/idm-ish stuff) with only its internal sounds:)

TGN wrote:
You're def right! I thought of the mkii more as an arranger-tool for house/techno/ebm. For recording stems, recording drums, bass, melody, vocals....long phrase-samples and then mix'em all together.
But listen to this guy, he made a house-ep with the 404 sx only with resampling: https://sublevelmusic.bandcamp.com/album/sp-404-jams
Not bad, I like "Keep The Party Live"

i think that for lofi house stuff this could nice (but also other sps, then)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:06 pm 

Wrote one of my infamous mega-replies last night and replied to all, but got logged-off when I tried to submit it so there's no way I'm writing it all again.

But yeah, I think I should go for the MC-707 instead, in which case my setup would be:

- Roland MC-707 as sound source

TGN asked about the sort of music I intend to make. My end goal is to make something controversial and collectable, something I can release on Cassette and Vinyl, and while I already know the subjects I intend to cover, I don't know what genre/s I'll produce such album/s in. That's something I'll have to consider when the time comes, I'll just go with whatever genre/s feel the most suited to the music in an atmospherical sense I suppose.

I'm skilled in audio and sound design but not song writing, I'm absolutely clueless in that respect so I'm hoping that playing around with Hip-Hop might help me out a bit there. Since I'm going to be sampling my own sounds and musical phrases, it'll be completely on me to learn to produce something that sounds like whatever genre it is I am wanting to make samples of for any given track. I'm hoping through doing it the hard way like that, I'll at least pick-up some musical tricks and get some song-writing skills out of it before embarking on any major musical projects.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:52 pm 

PS, I used to own a Novation X-Station 61 some time ago, and I believe that has the same (or a very similar) synth engine to your KS Rack. Can't remember my reason for selling it to be honest, but it was probably financial, I was hardly ever in a position to own more than a few peices of gear at once and that has almost always been the case.

I have to admit that it feels nice to be in a position to buy multiple peices of gear at once for a change, and for it all to be brand new. That has to be a first for me!

Well, I can at least buy the A-49 and MC-707 now, and by the time the SP-404MKII is readily available from stock, I won't have to skin myself to buy it like I would have needed to if I had bought it right now, so it's worked out ok.

It means I can still afford to treat myself to a Donner Kebab once a week as well :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:50 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
PS, I used to own a Novation X-Station 61 some time ago, and I believe that has the same (or a very similar) synth engine to your KS Rack. Can't remember my reason for selling it to be honest, but it was probably financial, I was hardly ever in a position to own more than a few peices of gear at once and that has almost always been the case.

I have to admit that it feels nice to be in a position to buy multiple peices of gear at once for a change, and for it all to be brand new. That has to be a first for me!

Well, I can at least buy the A-49 and MC-707 now, and by the time the SP-404MKII is readily available from stock, I won't have to skin myself to buy it like I would have needed to if I had bought it right now, so it's worked out ok.

It means I can still afford to treat myself to a Donner Kebab once a week as well :lol:

I had the X Station 61. If I was more situated for a DAW setup it would still be with me today. You could really mutate the sounds if you cranked the 3 different operators/carriers for its FM. But as far as I can tell, it did have a weakness as far as sounds went. No electronic drum kits! No ways to make a kick, Tom, snare or hat. So you pretty much needed to midi it to a drum machine. It had that Vangelis/Blade Runner feel to it though. I miss the filters. I lost it to hitting rough times after I got kicked out of my ex gf’s place. Had to pawn it, and when it was due I just couldn’t afford to keep it.

Another thing I missed was the internal fx. You could go to town on chorus/delay/reverb. Novation had a classic in the XStation for sure. Even though it had no electronic percussion.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:56 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
Wrote one of my infamous mega-replies last night and replied to all, but got logged-off when I tried to submit it so there's no way I'm writing it all again.

But yeah, I think I should go for the MC-707 instead, in which case my setup would be:

- Roland MC-707 as sound source

TGN asked about the sort of music I intend to make. My end goal is to make something controversial and collectable, something I can release on Cassette and Vinyl, and while I already know the subjects I intend to cover, I don't know what genre/s I'll produce such album/s in. That's something I'll have to consider when the time comes, I'll just go with whatever genre/s feel the most suited to the music in an atmospherical sense I suppose.

I'm skilled in audio and sound design but not song writing, I'm absolutely clueless in that respect so I'm hoping that playing around with Hip-Hop might help me out a bit there. Since I'm going to be sampling my own sounds and musical phrases, it'll be completely on me to learn to produce something that sounds like whatever genre it is I am wanting to make samples of for any given track. I'm hoping through doing it the hard way like that, I'll at least pick-up some musical tricks and get some song-writing skills out of it before embarking on any major musical projects.

Good luck on getting all 3! 2 will do nicely to get you started, but the 404mk2 is definitely the cherry on top. Me personally though, I’d have to add more to the list, but probably all you really need is a used Korg KP3 Kaosspad to spice it up when needed. Not saying you can’t go to town with the 707/404mk2’s effects. But just how you may want to do quick synth noodles here & there in real time. Or whip out a mic and make vocoding magic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:22 am 

Headphones wrote:
I had the X Station 61. If I was more situated for a DAW setup it would still be with me today.
You reminded me now why I got rid of it. It was because I really bought it thinking it was designed as a dedicated analogue modeling synth, but there were some buttons on it where you would press them and they were not fuctional. Apparently it had something to do with them designing it as a controller for other synths as well.

For example, I think it had a button for toggling between two filters even though it never had two filters, or something like that, just felt messed-up to me. My OCD can't deal with stuff like that so it had to go. If I recall, I think I sold it for slightly more than I paid for it cause I got it insanely cheap on sale!

Was a nice synth though, definitely sounded kinda creamy!

Headphones wrote:
I lost it to hitting rough times after I got kicked out of my ex gf’s place.

Don't tell me, let me guess, you seduced her by telling her you wanted to show her your X-Station back at your place. She came willingly only to discover you actually did have an X-Station, did show it to her, and she ended-up leaving that night with a very thorough understanding of filter sweeps and resonance?

X-Station led to X-Girlfriend, amirite or amirite? :mrgreen:

Headphones wrote:
Or whip out a mic and make vocoding magic.

No way I'm buying more pieces, especially not for a vocoder. I think the SP-404MKII and the MC-707 both have vocoders anyway, which is probably two more vocoders than I'll ever use, lol.

Speaking of mics though, you just reminded me that the MC-707 has seriously good mixer functionality added since the update, you can even reconfigure the physical sockets on the back to turn it into a full-on digital mixing and recording console with effects. Pretty damn cool really and it makes me feel a lot better about how much extra the MC-707 costs over the MC-101.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:58 pm 

Headphones wrote:
I lost it to hitting rough times after I got kicked out of my ex gf’s place.

Don't tell me, let me guess, you seduced her by telling her you wanted to show her your X-Station back at your place. She came willingly only to discover you actually did have an X-Station, did show it to her, and she ended-up leaving that night with a very thorough understanding of filter sweeps and resonance?

X-Station led to X-Girlfriend, amirite or amirite? :mrgreen:

Headphones wrote:
Or whip out a mic and make vocoding magic.

No way I'm buying more pieces, especially not for a vocoder. I think the SP-404MKII and the MC-707 both have vocoders anyway, which is probably two more vocoders than I'll ever use, lol.

Speaking of mics though, you just reminded me that the MC-707 has seriously good mixer functionality added since the update, you can even reconfigure the physical sockets on the back to turn it into a full-on digital mixing and recording console with effects. Pretty damn cool really and it makes me feel a lot better about how much extra the MC-707 costs over the MC-101.[/quote]

Damn dude, trying to pour salt in wounds that happened a long time ago? I had my dark chapter back then. My gf wasn’t really doing it for me, and we kinda wanted to date other people anyway. We were living together, but I had my room, she had hers. I bought that X Station with my hard earned money when we were a item. I didn’t lure her to my place bragging about gear I owned. I had to pawn it when I got laid off. The economy had sorta crashed, couldn’t receive unemployment, and the new gf I got dumped me. (Who I wasn’t living with). My roommate’s had asked me to move out, so I kinda lost ALL my gear. I had hit my rock bottom.

It got better, but it took awhile. But you shouldn’t be so quick to judge people you don’t know. I wouldn’t call anyone out if they had a dark chapter in their life. I’m sure we all have had our demons. You either sink or swim. Fight them off & rise to the top, or let them snuff you out. Suicide wasn’t a option for me, but maybe if I had really nothing left to live for, I might have gone there.

Anyway, just ease it on the insults.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:04 pm 

Headphones wrote:
Damn dude, trying to pour salt in wounds that happened a long time ago?

It's impossible to pour salt into wounds I never knew existed.

Headphones wrote:
Anyway, just ease it on the insults.

I have to be the most courteous and empathetic person on this forum, so any insult is on you.
You having a bad day or something?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next