It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good news! aka the Look What I Just Got thread
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:26 pm 

Cool, but to your ears, which sounds better?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:04 am 

I hear no difference between the two units. Neither one has great sound but you can get a lot out of their effects. The r24 can do more. That's why I enjoy it more. But I hear no actual difference. They are 24 has more effects. I believe they use the same chip.. but I don't know if you can take my word for it. To me the 303 and the 505 sound exactly the same. I have no problem using them interchangeably as far as sound boxes. But I have heard other people say that there is a definite difference that is quantitative qualitative. So you'll have to take my word for what it's worth.

Roland SP-404MKIIx2,
Korg microSTATION,
Roland Verselab MV-1,
FLStudio 20 & Akai Fire,
Maschine MKII & MKIII,
UbuntuStudio / KXStudio,
https://soundcloud.com/mr-thraz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:34 am 

Can't comment on the R16 or R24 from an ownership point of view because I've owned neither. But my R8 hopefully arrives today which has exactly the same engine as the R24, so just say the word if there's anything technical you need to know.

Basically though there are three in the range:

- R8
- R16
- R24

The R8 and R24 are basically the same except the R24 has more simultaneous inputs. That's cool but it also means the price is almost double that of the R8, so deciding between those two is just a matter or deciding whether you are happy with being able to record up to 2 tracks at a time or whether you need more.

The R16 is the odd one out because it is nowhere near as capable as the R8 and R24. The R16 is a more basic machine. It benefits from more inputs than the R8, but it lacks the Drum Machine, Sequencer, Sampler and Resampler of the R8 and R24.

There is nothing on the market to touch the R8 and R24 and never has been since way back when the were released. They're so powerful that even those new Zoom and Tascam Mixer/Recorders are nowhere near as powerful as the R8 and R24, not even close, they're miles-off in terms of spec and capability.

I suppose this is why Zoom keep the R8 and R24 on the market all the time, cause like I said, there is nothing to touch them and I believe the Zoom R8 is the best selling Digital Multitrack of all time and I'm not surprised.

Soundwise the R8 and R24 are top-notch cause she's running 24-Bit ADC to 24-Bit DAC with an internal processing rate of 96KHz. You can even record in 24-Bit if you want, and all of this from gear that was released quite some time ago now.

Compare that to the spec of a modern Tascam (or even a modern Zoom) and you'll soon see where the quality is. Plus, the R8 is quite a sexy-looking bit of kit really, and compact while still being large enough to use comfortably. And you see it all the time in YouTube comments about the R8; people jumping out of their skin in disbelief when they realise it is capable of stuff they had no idea it was capable of, they be like ... HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

If I were to tell you it can replace your drum machines AND your 404, would you believe me? But fact is it can (even if you would not use it for that), but that's how powerful the R8 and R24 is.

So read the manual deeply if you get one bruh, don't miss a single page!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:46 pm 

Duly noted! I’m not one to ditch gear to buy something else. But even if one device had a sampler/sequencer/drum machine in a digital multi track, I would never sell my SP’s & drum machines to fund it! But I could probably live with a R24 and be happy. R8 if I were forced to keep it simple. I never really record much tbh, simply because I haven’t gotten off my ass to do so. My RC505 is ok for loops, but it’s tricky to get them timed right before they just sound like a 5 year old being one sloppy producer. I’m sure that’s just me being hyper critical of my skills at keeping 5 loops in perfect time, but I guess it’s like telling a newbie jugular “ok, now juggle 5 items at once”. Without the practice, I’m just gonna goof it up.
But a R24 is no RC505, nor would it be! So just remains to be seen if I choose a analog tape multi track over a digital one. Knowing me, I’d get both, because I could do infinite overdubs in the R24 to just have a analog 4 track record. If the 505 is lucky it can play along. If not, it can stay on the shelf.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:14 pm 

Nooooooooo!!! ... just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting you sell your 404 bruh, lol, I was just trying to give you a solid idea of how powerful these devices are, cause it's clear from comments on YouTube that even a heck of a lot of people who own them really have no idea of what a crazy-powerful piece of kit it is.

I mean, take for example you just casually mentioned "looping", and although I never even bothered to mention looping among its abilities, turn to page 61 of the User Manual for the Zoom R8 and you'll be met with a diagram showing some rather nifty polyphonic/polymetric looping abilities, mixing both sequencer and waveform abilities in one, allowing on-grid and even 100% off-grid production techniques - pretty cool stuff!

Just one of its many talents :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:25 am 

So apparently there’s a R20, but it has a color touch screen. It loses features the R24 had, but with the touch screen less buttons are needed to navigate around in your tracks. Plus it sounded punchier in a comparison video.

https://youtu.be/2FkFBGq7Oiw

The R20 does have some bugs, but Zoom just dropped a 2.0 update. There’s supposed to be Bluetooth support for Ios, buuuuut, Zoom doesn’t have it ready yet! Maybe by the time I bought one that would be out. But can’t say.

I do like the fact the R20 has a built in FM synth, but you can’t alter the sounds. Zoom should do a update on that pronto in my book. But I’d probably just use my own synths regardless.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:22 am 

R8 and R24 shits all over the R20 bruh!

And no, the R20 does not sound better than the R8 or R24, certainly not on my cans it didn't. He claimed the R20 sounded clearer, but on my cans it was a mixed bag, sometimes the R24 sounded clearer, sometimes the R20 sounded clearer. And what was also obvious on my cans was that the R24 sounded fatter most of the time.

The R20 is a 'modern' device meaning it is designed by the corporates to pull you towards using a computer (and should therefore be avoided). Two major issues with the R20 that he didn't emphasise as much as he should have is that being a touch screen, the R20 loses the physical tactile enjoyment you get from the R8 and R24. Watching his own hand operate that screen you can even see his fingers shaking due to being hindered by trying to point his finger correctly.

Another major fuck-up with it is that you shouldn't need to connect to a computer to deal with the effects. There is no such bullshittery going on with the R8 and R24, they are fully tactile, fully editable on-board, and fully stand-alone.

No battery-power option either on the R20, so that's another downgrade!

And just to give you an idea of how hopelelss that touch screen actually is, it doesn't even serve well as a level meter display, because if you watch the levels, they are laggy, whereas on the R24 for example you have proper LED levels behind the glass.

Seriously, there's no comparison bruh, the R20 is just a dumbed-down 'modern' pile of shit compared to the R8 and R24, there's no real question as to which are the better devices - the R8 and R24 win hands-down.

And you know what's really funny about that video? It's the comment section. It's funny because he's comparing that hopeless new R20 to the R24, yet the first two comments I see in the comment section are to do with neither of them, they are both about the Zoom R8!!!

:lol:

Zoom R8 for the world, everyone should own a Zoom R8, it's the compact, fully-capable and fully-tactile powerhouse of a DAW in a truly fully-stand-alone box. It's also an absolute fucking bargain at £200, it really is!

I'm not saying the R20 is completely worthless, of course not, but the R8 is the only one in the range that Zoom chose to manufacture a diamond-cut "ZOOM" badge for. In fact I can see mine glisten as it catches the sun right now!

R8 is a sexy, sassy little bitch, I'm just sayin' :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:24 pm 

BTW, in case anyone is considering these devices, be aware that when Floyd mentions the "Rhythms and Drum Sounds", he unfortunately forgot to tell you the most important thing of all as far as drum machine functionality goes, which is as follows ...

On the R8 and R24, the rhythms are fully programmable (directly on the machine) and the drum sounds are fully customisable (directly on the machine) because you can program your own patterns and even swap-out the default drum kit sounds with your own samples and recordings.

You even have the ability to sequence them into songs 8)

Samples can behave like a 404, so they can be One-Shot, Gated or Looped. You have 8-voices of polyphony, their waveforms can be edited, perfomed and sequenced directly on the device. Then you can multi-track it all, resample, resample with affects etc. You can even pull samples or tracks used in one project and bring them into another cause the R8 and R24 does not discriminate between a "Sample" or a "Recording" or what you use it for, so you could use a sample where you'd use a recording or vice versa. You could even stick a long recording onto a pad and play it live from the drum pads if you wanted, or sequence it to be triggered, it literally doesn't care what you do, there are no silly limitations.

I'm never selling my R8, put it that way!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:10 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
KRK ROCKIT 7
Powered Nearfield studio monitors.

Attachments:
Screenshot_20221102-130519.jpg
Screenshot_20221102-130519.jpg [ 188.18 KiB | Viewed 17489 times ]

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:33 pm 

Nice, but I hope you have your pitch-fork ready for when the neighbours pay a visit :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:03 pm 

I just picked up this Korg O1 WFD today for an absolute steal.

61 keys, Velocity sensitive,Aftertouch and a Joystick pitch bend.

48,000 Note Sequencer

Damper/Expression pedal

All New Switches

New LCD Backlight

Keyboard was stripped 2021 and thoroughly cleaned.

Whist it was apart, it had all new switches, and a new internal memory battery installation.

21st century screen blue upgrade, and comes with a newly integrated USB storage drive.

The synths been kept boxed and unused for the past decade and it's in more or less pristine condition.

Attachments:
Screenshot_20221115-155333.jpg
Screenshot_20221115-155333.jpg [ 106.95 KiB | Viewed 17392 times ]
Screenshot_20221115-155255.jpg
Screenshot_20221115-155255.jpg [ 132.26 KiB | Viewed 17392 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:40 pm 

Hell Yeah Danswift, with a Gotek! Great! Does it contains the famous organ sound of the M1? Looking for these classic M1 house organ sounds for my W30, maybe you could provide some samples?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:20 pm 

Believe it or not but I used to have one of those, too, bought second-hand :lol:

Very nice, handsome looking piece of kit and I remember being very fond of the keybed on it. Mine had the factory Floppy Drive but it must have been around fifteen years ago now.

Anyway, loved it to bits, in fact it was by far the longest time I kept a piece of second-hand gear I think and I only sold it cause I needed the cash for somthing else cause I fancied a change. I think I kept it around one and a half to two years, which is very good going when you have to keep selling stuff to fund something else.

TGN, Danswift will have to clarify this for you but if I recall, KORG released a specific set of cards so that you could add M1 waveforms to the 01/W and use them in the synthesis right along with the built-in ROM waveforms.

I think there was an 'Orchestral' and 'World Instruments' one as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:22 pm 

SP-User wrote

Believe it or not but I used to have one of those too, bought second-hand :lol:

Was that part of another 'set up'...and what were you doing with it exactly?

I'm sure you're an expert on how it works of course .

I had one of these myself btw...back in the mid 90s ,just after they were first released..

@TGN ..for sure dude ..happy to send some of those samples your way at some point soon .. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:40 pm 

Danswift wrote:
Was that part of another 'set up'...and what were you doing with it exactly?

I'm sure you're an expert on how it works of course .

Not sure why you're being sarcastic, my post was perfectly respectful of the gear. If I was fond of something then obviously I'm going to say so!

But since you ask, it wasn't part of a setup, I couldn't afford a setup which is why it ended-up getting sold to fund something else cause I fancied a change. I had no other gear at all unless you count the Hi-Fi system I had it connected to via the AUX IN to use as a speaker system for it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next