It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

Post subject: anyone got experience with modular synths
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:39 am 

Anyone got any experience with modular synths? I am probably going to order one from synthesizers.com and was wondering if anyone has that in their setup with an sp? Does it work good and do you just record the audio through the 404 or do you mix it and go to a DAW? Can't wait to get this synth though it looks so fun!

Post subject: Re: anyone got experience with modular synths
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:29 pm 

Cannonj wrote:
Anyone got any experience with modular synths? I am probably going to order one from synthesizers.com and was wondering if anyone has that in their setup with an sp? Does it work good and do you just record the audio through the 404 or do you mix it and go to a DAW? Can't wait to get this synth though it looks so fun!

I have a little experience with eurorack stuff. typically modular levels are pretty hot so if you are going to be recording into the SP or the DAW you need something to attenuate the signal first. after that you are good to go. how big of a system are you looking at getting? the dotcom stuff is a great deal. now you are going to need to get a second SP so you can use one to send samples into the modular and another one to resample the output!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:04 am 

I'm getting a portable 22 module (the one with vinyl) it's not that expensive either only like 2500 and i added the arp module too so its going to be pretty neat! Yeah I'm glad you said that, you're right i do need another sp for the effects. I can't wait the guy told me today that i will only have to wait three weeks to get it and i just ordered it today! Will post some vids and music once i get the hang of the workflow and all! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:29 pm 

http://synthvibrations.wordpress.com/modular-synths/modular-synthesis-for-dummies/
interesting site from a frfiend of mine
hope it helps
ps
are you the one from st forums?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:52 pm 

Cannonj wrote:
I'm getting a portable 22 module (the one with vinyl) it's not that expensive either only like 2500 and i added the arp module too so its going to be pretty neat!

looks dope! I couldn't find the arp module that you mentioned, is it an arpeggiator or like an arp 2600 filter? also, just out of curiosity what made you go with the dotcom stuff? the richer "moogish" sound instead of all the exotic eurocrack stuff coming out?

can't wait to hear/see some examples, although I'm sure I don't need to tell you that...longest three weeks ever :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:08 pm 

yeah im on the st forums too still have it but i haven't got to put it to use yet lol i love my sp though haven't been the to st forums in a while...yeah i can't wait to get my modular but i was looking at some of the eurorack stuff from doepfer too the dark energy looks like a nice little piece. Was almost thinking about cancelling my order at dot com for one of those (i like portable gear) but don't know yet. i know the dot com synth isn't portable the arp module i was talking about is the q171 i believe, its takes up eight rack modules in the dot com synth so i told him that i didn't want it right now. Don't know though i would really want a portable little synth like the dark energy so i could take my sp and dark energy everywhere i go (Got a lot of camping trips planned lol) well the dot com is on order so i got a few weeks to decide. I just like the way the modular is set up though, i always end up changing my mind when it comes to gear haha. We will see lol!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:20 pm 

Don't get the Dark Energy. Doepfer sutff doesn't sound nearly as good as Synthesizers.com's. If you decide going for an Eurorack, you're better off with Tip Top Audio, Cwejman, Livewire... Although they are more expensive than Doepfer. I would get Dopefer for the sequencer, envelopes, LFOs... But not for anything which gets into the audio path :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:42 pm 

another one
same site
peace
http://synthvibrations.com/category/modulars/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:14 pm 

I don't have any personal experience with the dark energy, but I've heard really positive things about it from people whose ears and taste I trust. The MFB Kraftzwerg is another semi-modular like the dark energy, but with 3 VCO's which I hear have a really nice vintage roland-esque sound. I hear the filter on it isn't the best, but you could always rock a doepfer mini-case with some dope filters or whatever else youd want to compliment it with.

even though I've heard good things about the dark energy, I'd agree with chemisferio on going to doepfer for utility modules and other eurorack companies for oscs, filters.

I don't know how much you've looked into this so forgive me if i'm repeating stuff you already know or being to obvious but from what I understand the synthesizers.com stuff is basically emulations of the old moog modular and as such it has a thicker, richer sound. it's also bigger and a little more vanilla in it's module selection. eurorack stuff runs the gamut sound wise with all of the people making modules now. it also has a lot more exotic stuff, things that are approaching serge/buchla style of tons of functionality crammed into a single panel. it's also smaller you could get a similar sized system in eurorack as the dotcom one you've got on order and it would be like half-2/3 the size physically.

the best thing to do if you haven't already is check out the forums at muffwiggler.com. people there are super nice and helpful and will go out of their way to help you design a system that fits whatever needs you are looking for in your modular; whether its great sound, audio processing, crazy sequencing, drones, sound effects or and combination of those or beyond. it's just a rad forum in general.

another idea if you want something more portable and semimodular would be the cwejman s1 MKII a little more money, but great sound. although i don't think you'd want to take it on any camping trips, unless you're in an RV. :lol:

again, out of curiosity what is it that you are looking for with the modular?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:41 pm 

oh sorry reign forgot you asked that question lol. Well I'm just looking to create my own sounds and have that "warm" sound, and i know some people would say "why dont you just get a moog?" Or "how about a dave smith synth?" I mean i could do those things and have also considered that as well with the new mopho keyboard (almost here) and tetra, and a minimoog voyager rack or the minimoog voyager keyboard. But theres something about those modulars that make me excited lol (even though most have no patch memory) I don't need polyphony honestly but i guess it would be nice to have the option. But i have been moving away from sampling and going more for a synth/vintage synth sound as of late. I still may end up grabbing the minimoog voyager along with the dot com (damn i think im having a case of gear lust) But ella thanks for that site will chk it out in a sec and also reign i don't really have a lot of knowledge on this myself haha. So i guess its kinda ignorant of me to buy something without fully knowing what i can do with the item i am purchasing. HaHa you just made me have an epiphany. Going to check out those sites now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:50 pm 

Man, sounds like you have a decent budget to work with. Just a few things in response to your last post. First from what you're describing I'd stay away from the dsi stuff. The positive things that I've heard about the dark energy are that it has a real vintage sound. If I were you I would cop a dark energy for the time being. I think it will have the sound you are looking for and will be a good platform to start to understand synths and modulars. If you go with a bigger modular too soon it might be overwhelming. So while you're playing with the dark energy I'd hit up muffs and look into maybe modcan stuff with your budget. Also I don't know how you feel about computers, but some virtual modulars are great learning tools, I've learned tons from messing around with my nord micro modular.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:19 pm 

thanks rein i think i will go with that and put some of my money back for getting a real modular later. You're right i need to learn some things first before i get something more complicated. I think that's where i go wrong at sometimes haha impulse spending(especially on new gear) is the worst. I tried some good softsynths like moog modular and tassman. I pretty much know how to work those but i think that it would probably be a different ball game with the real thing. Well gonna contack rob from dot com and let him know whats going on. I may just get on the monthly payment plan which will still get me a modular but it will take a little while before i get it (meanwhile i will have the dark energy and try to learn some stuff) I was also looking at the oberheim synth can't remember the name but it has two vcos(sawtooth and pulsewave) not much more than the dark energy. But will hit up the muff forums and do a little more research.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:33 pm 

the oberhiem SEM?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:48 pm 

yeah thats it! dont know if it is out yet though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:34 am 

The one with cv is out, but I think there is a wait since he hand builds them one by one. Not sure if the midi one is out yet. I think you have to order them through audiomidi.com.