It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

Post subject: Re: anyone got experience with modular synths
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:54 pm 

Why should he stay away from DSI, reignbear? I know it's not modular, but all he really said was "warm" and creating his own sounds. I'm just curious because I plan on buying a DSI Tetra.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:04 am 

Chuck wrote:
Why should he stay away from DSI, reignbear? I know it's not modular, but all he really said was "warm" and creating his own sounds. I'm just curious because I plan on buying a DSI Tetra.

I could be wrong, but from what he's mentioned i get the impression that the sound he's after is more of a vintage "moogish" sound . If that's the sound you're after I don't think DSI is the way to go. with the DCOs and curtis filter have more of a modern analog sound (more stable and precise), not a bad thing mind you, just not what i think he's looking for. I dig DSI stuff, if i had the space and was a competent keys player I would jump on a poly evolver in no time! also with the exception of he poly evolver i feel that the real strength of the DSI stuff is that it's really inexpensive for what you get, but it sounds like cannonj isn't really restricted by having to find a "budget" synth.

is it just the price that draws you to the tetra chuck? or specific features of it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:50 am 

Yeah alot of people dont go for the DSI sound, not because it's bad - but because they want a different sound..

it's kinda like 3 corners to a triangle:

point 1: DSI/Curtis filter

point 2: Mood

point 3: 303

each can sound 'vaguely' like the other, but has a definite character of it own

I like teh DSI sound, and the 303 sound.. not so keen on the moog sound myself.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 am 

Okay, I get what you guys are saying.

reignbear - yeah, it does have a lot to do with the price. I can't really name any other new polyphonic analog synth in that price range. Well, I hope I like the DSI sound because I ordered a used Tetra today from GC. The best part is it only cost me $410. :shock: It was actually $550 but I had a gift card. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:43 pm 

i'm sure you will like the sound. I have a mopho and I dig the sound of it, you are just getting 4 of those shoved into the same size. one thing I might suggest is looking into getting a behringer BCR2000 and taking the time to program a template for it. I keep meaning to do this for myself, but haven't gotten around to it. The biggest complaint I see people voice about the DSI desktop synths is the menu diving to get to all the parameters. unless you plan on doing all of your programing on the computer. let me know how you like it once you spend some time with it. when they announced to tetra i almost sold my mopho to cop one, but decided to keep it for the time being since it has the audio in that the tetra lacks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:39 am 

I've heard the complaints about it not being very hands on, but for the price I got it for I think it's something that I can look past. Plus I have no problems creating my own patches from scratch on my Microkorg and it only has 5 parameter knobs. Is the editing on your Mopho really that much of a pain? Good call on the behringer BCR2000, I might have to look into that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:12 pm 

Chuck wrote:
I've heard the complaints about it not being very hands on, but for the price I got it for I think it's something that I can look past. Plus I have no problems creating my own patches from scratch on my Microkorg and it only has 5 parameter knobs. Is the editing on your Mopho really that much of a pain? Good call on the behringer BCR2000, I might have to look into that.

i think the korg is maybe a little more intuitive with the matrix style editing, also the mopho/tetra architecture is more complex. It's not that bad in truth on the DSI stuff in my experience, but it's just nice to be able to see all the available options when you set out to program like you can on the microkorg rather then just scrolling through a series of parameters.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:44 pm 

So mine is with Behringer Crave, Hungry Robot Modular pedals, and Moogerfoogers (104m, 102 & CP251). It’s mainly a rats nest of cables when you start plugging everything together. But I definitely use the 404 to sample any knob twisting and tweaking, then use FX and resample.