It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

Post subject: Re: bass synth pedals
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:22 pm 

...i use this for bass mainly, but an oc-2 octaver could pimp your keyboard sounds also. and it's about 60€ used.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:12 pm 

My band's Bassist used to use an SYB-3. I've got it in my hands right now (It's hard to type! =^) ). Maybe he'd sell it.

If you want to hear it in action the Bass in these songs is playing through the SYB-3 the whole time (It's kind of subtle):

Hosey - Cowgirl Blues

Hosey - When Will Then Be Now?

By the way, he uses the Electro-Harmonix Bass synth now. The Boss pedals have tracking problems, it's hard to reliably get the sounds you want to come out (for instance, sometime a slap will set the pedal off, and sometimes it won't, very annoying), but the EH one is nice. We tend to avoid using the pedals live, though, they're just too risky on unfamiliar sound systems.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:50 pm 

Huph wrote:
My band's Bassist used to use an SYB-3. I've got it in my hands right now (It's hard to type! =^) ). Maybe he'd sell it.

If you want to hear it in action the Bass in these songs is playing through the SYB-3 the whole time (It's kind of subtle):

Hosey - Cowgirl Blues

Hosey - When Will Then Be Now?

thax
as i said now i took the zoom b2 and im ok with it.
anyway, thanx for posting those tracks, but i don't see (listen) the synth fx im lookin for...

Huph wrote:

By the way, he uses the Electro-Harmonix Bass synth now. The Boss pedals have tracking problems, it's hard to reliably get the sounds you want to come out (for instance, sometime a slap will set the pedal off, and sometimes it won't, very annoying), but the EH one is nice. We tend to avoid using the pedals live, though, they're just too risky on unfamiliar sound systems.

the Electroharmonix must be a serious beast, but i think is out-of bugdget for me now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:33 am 

^^^ The thing with a lot of synth pedals is they're not really designed to be played with effectively. The Boss' knobs are too crowded to turn reliably on the fly, and while the EHX isn't too hard for me to play with, since I DJ and am used to playing with faders, the bassist isn't super comfortable with it. It's no fun to just have a static synth setting. You want to sweep that $#!t all over the place!

I've been thinking of running the Bass through 2 distortion pedals so he can get a sound by just slamming the fret hand down on a note, which would leave the right hand open to twist knobs and move faders.

Eh, for live performances (which is what we're focused on) it's a little bit too much work for a miniscule pay off.

Of course, I never use the pedals on samples or loops, that would leave both hands open.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:59 pm 

Huph wrote:
^^^ The thing with a lot of synth pedals is they're not really designed to be played with effectively. The Boss' knobs are too crowded to turn reliably on the fly, and while the EHX isn't too hard for me to play with, since I DJ and am used to playing with faders, the bassist isn't super comfortable with it. It's no fun to just have a static synth setting. You want to sweep that $#!t all over the place!

on most synth pedals the filter section is triggered by your playing dynamics, so you can get some sound variations with just your fingers.
another possibility would be a filter + expression pedal for longer sweeps.
or even better, get some moogerfoogers and control them by a moog multipedal.

but you probably could buy a little phatty for so much money...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:20 pm 

I have a SYB-5, and I have hooked it up to a couple of my casios (mostly the VL-1), It works decently but of course it's a monosynth so it can only synthesize notes properly if you play a notes one at a time. Also it works better with certain sounds than others and sometimes it will not play the attack when you go to a different note (as if you were sliding up the neck to a different note) especially if the tone coming out of the casio does not have a strong attack.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:18 pm 

hello, personally i strongly dislike the Ibanez SB7. i find it very basic and it's sound is nothing special, really.
the Digitech Bass Synth Wah instead is much better in my opinion, it's effects are somehow more original and modern, and for this reason i believe it's better for sampling.
i also have the EHX Micro Synthesizer and i think it has more of an analog sound to it... so it all depends on what kind of sound u are into! bye, havea good day!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:44 am 

do any of these pedals trigger the attack with every note? or is there any guitar/bass playing techniques anyones used to get this going? besides muting every single note after you play it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:25 pm 

I play bass and i used the behringer...plastic stuff but cheap and nice sound...at first i had to open it because the on-off switch was not working(a piece of rubber was misplaced(easy fix)...but when i had a petalboard and by mistake a fed my petals with 16Volts(instead of 9V!) it was the only petal that was fucked...
However for this price i ordered one more...IMO if anyone likes the boss save money and buy 3 behringer...!for better results put a compression effect before it(sampler,drum machine or any instrument) to help the tracking...
The digitech synth has different sound (nice octaver)so it's matter of taste...and there are 2 versions:one for bass and one for guitar with different sounds so check them both...
The ibanez is analog (and built like a tank) and it's basically an auto-filter(autowah) effect with strong resonance plus a distortion...nice to play with ,but not really a synth...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:51 pm 

dman5000 wrote:
do any of these pedals trigger the attack with every note? or is there any guitar/bass playing techniques anyones used to get this going? besides muting every single note after you play it

i just own an ehx bms, and there you can set a treshold when the filter will be triggered. it depends on the volume of your bass-signal. also, the filtersection of this pedal doesn't use the envelope of your input signal, instead you can set start and stop frequency, and the time it takes to sweep between them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:14 am 

bass.bert wrote:
dman5000 wrote:

i just own an ehx bms, and there you can set a treshold when the filter will be triggered. it depends on the volume of your bass-signal. also, the filtersection of this pedal doesn't use the envelope of your input signal, instead you can set start and stop frequency, and the time it takes to sweep between them.

do you feel the threshold accurately works? the syb 3 is what we were messing with, it has a sensitivity or something along those lines that supposed to do that but it wasnt as good as we hoped... just trying to get every note to produce an attack from the pedal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:24 am 

i think it works on my bms. iirc it also has an internal trimpot for the input gain, but i didn't touch it, cause it worked for me.
i never used a syb 3 in my own setup, so i can't comment on that. but i heard that on the behringer clone of the syb 5 you can turn down the filter response completely, whereas the boss pedals always give you a slight envelope…

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:21 pm 

good info thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:55 pm 

First off there’s this model.

And now there’s this model.

Maybe a few similar sounds, maybe not.

Attachments:
43886E60-38A2-4AB4-AE8B-F2D1393EC21D.jpeg
43886E60-38A2-4AB4-AE8B-F2D1393EC21D.jpeg [ 203.37 KiB | Viewed 5028 times ]
02312C4D-BB91-4BD3-8D4B-552623188BD8.jpeg