It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:28 am

Post subject: Re: LOFI-12 by Sonicware
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:18 am 

SP-USER wrote:
I'm still calling bullshit on the ES-1 thing though. I'm not saying you don't flip these things, but what I am saying is that you're not buying ES-1s, servicing them and selling them for less than I just paid for mine! To do that, to buy an ES-1, to pay for the time involved and make a profit, you must surely be buying those ES-1s for £50 or summat (and that is why I'm calling bullshit on what you claimed after also claiming that I overpaid for mine).
If you really do that then you deserve a medal for goodwill services towards the Electribe community cause I'm damn sure I wouldn't buy an ES-1, service it and flip it for less than £250-£400 (depending on the condition and what I paid for it).

Not sure why you think it's b/s. I paid $90 (£73.) I've spent about 35 minutes so far to take it apart, cleaned the case, pads, and, knobs. While they dry it will take me about 15 minutes to solder in a new volume pot (current one has a slight crackle) freshen up the power supply solder joints. Put the thing back together and sell it for around $180-$200 (£150-160).
I double my money (US) for smidge over an hour of enjoyable work while I get drunk, and some local producer/DJ gets a nice clean and refreshed piece of gear. It's a win/win for all.

Edit: Not to be mistaken. This is not my job, just a hobby.

Attachments:
IMG_0262-forum.jpg
IMG_0262-forum.jpg [ 85.71 KiB | Viewed 7422 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:50 am 

Done.
Please remind me of how much you paid for yours. In mint condition of course.

Attachments:
IMG_0272-forum.jpg
IMG_0272-forum.jpg [ 75.5 KiB | Viewed 7416 times ]
IMG_0274-forum.jpg
IMG_0274-forum.jpg [ 77.93 KiB | Viewed 7416 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:04 am 

Crane wrote:
Done.
Please remind me of how much you paid for yours. In mint condition of course.

man nice job for real! :shock:
ps
i paid mine (mk2) in mint condition 100€ in 2011

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:19 pm 

Well, you sure got it cheap I'll give you that, but like I said, I still haven't overpaid for mine. It came to around £180 in total and that includes 2x maximum capacity memory cards so I still don't see how I overpaid for it, and the prices now are not what they were a decade ago so obviously ellaguru got a better deal than I did.

It's cool that you make yourself some pocket money through refurbishment though, but just a bit of advice. Never lay stuff like that directly onto carpet. Your carpet is full of electrostatic energy due to the fibres being brushed together every time you walk on it (kinda like what rubbing a balloon on your hair does). The moment it comes into contact with anything metal, it discharges itself. So in other words, any electrostatic charge held in your carpet at that time, got discharged through the circuit board as soon as you laid it there (ouch).

You're lucky it booted up at all, it's a wonder you didn't fry the firmware :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:31 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
Well, you sure got it cheap I'll give you that, but like I said, I still haven't overpaid for mine. It came to around £180 in total and that includes 2x maximum capacity memory cards so I still don't see how I overpaid for it, and the prices now are not what they were a decade ago so obviously ellaguru got a better deal than I did.

I forget to say that it came with a smartmedia card too (but no acdc adaptor), but, speaking honestly, i would hadn't consider it over than 100€, at the time i didn't liked at all the TR mode, but i took it because it was one of the only TR samplers i had (the other was the great and powerful mc-909)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:25 am 

https://sonicware.jp/pages/liven-lofi6

It doesn't get any more crunchy than 6 bit! But they're $299 instead of $240, and, you better hurry. Only 500 units made! Which leaves me to wonder, should I get both? Well, I did my taxes. Last year I made enough to get my Roland MC909. This year, I'm probably going to get a few different toys. Behringer MS-1 synth, the Sonicware Lofi 6, a Make Noise N0-Coast & CTRL, and maaaaybe a Zoom RT323 drum machine. I'm going to see if I even gel with the 8 seconds of sample time, or the sequencer itself.

Anyhoo, I'll see what happens. Need my cash first.