It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Big Box ....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:04 pm 

Lol, I totally knew Danswift would jump to the defense of his new baby :mrgreen:

Granted, sound quality is a subjective thing, and what you listen to this stuff on is another factor that needs to be considered as well, but there's no way that MPC ONE sounded as good as the SP-404A that I had, I absolutely loved the sound of that thing and no way did I get the same wow factor coming from the MPC ONE as I did from the SP-404A. There was nothing wrong with the sound of the MPC ONE, it sounded nice and beefy and all, but it didn't have that 'something' the SP-404A had (and neither does the new MKII).

That's why this time around I've gone for the SP-404SX cause I know how good it sounds (it's identical hardware to the 'A' but on the SX it's actually badged correctly, unlike the 'A'). Switch an 'A' on and you'll see 'SX' on the screen cause that's what it really is, so my OCD made me go for a proper 'SX' this time.

Regards touch-screens, there is only one device out there with a well designed touchscreen interface and that is the Blackbox, but after reading something Run Of The Hind said, he reminded me about soul in a product, and honestly, the only two beat making boxes that would suit me that have soul are the old school SPs and the Korg ES-1.

I think it's hilarious how little respect the Korg ES-1 gets in communities like this, because if you download the manual, watch videos on how it actually works, look at how many failings the 404 suffered that the ES-1 does not, you'll realise what a well designed little box that thing is, and it has to be by far the best designed interface of the lot!

It also runs natively at 12-Bit with a 32KHz sampling rate, and if the ES-1 had also included a "Vinyl Sim" effect I'm guessing its popularity would be on another level, just like the old school 404s are. So by pairing-up an SP-404SX with an ES-1, I not only gain an extra sampling rate and bit depth, I also gain proper panning and pitch control to use with the SP-404SX.

That's a fucking incredible, proper old-school combo with a wonderful knob per function interface across both units. So I'm sorry bruh, but I seriously doubt that there's a single beat-maker on here can visualise an SP-404SX and ES-1 sat side by side and (honestly) tell me that a Touch Screen MPC would be better.

Give me a fucking break :lol:

Peeps are free to use menu-heavy devices like the corporate touch-screen money pit nightmare that the MPC has become, but I'm sticking to proper tools that were designed to perform, products that were designed for the artist and without a corporate agenda attached. You see it a lot in the comments, people who sold their SP gear and jumped ship to the MPC only to regret it big time and start getting angry when they see that the prices of the well-designed gear they used to own have inevitably shot-up in price because the designs of the modern units they got sucked into are nowhere near as good or productive.

Sorry, what was that, you homies still wanting a modern MPC?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4bGLvbCR7o

As you can see from that video, the MPC has become a corporate coffer-serving device, one that SP-USER strongly recommends that you avoid at all costs, but of course that's just SP-USER's humble opinion so take it as you will. I made the mistake of returning my 'A' but at least I finally have the sense to replace it with another, and this time a proper 'SX' badged unit.

Those MPCs are powerful devices, they are indeed beasts, but they're the wrong kind of beast. So now take a look at the two images below and compare, because those images show what good ol' functionality, knob per function interface design bliss, and gear without an agenda looks like:

- Good Old LED displays
- Fat, Creamy, Gritty Sound
- Knob-Per-Function Interfaces
- Absolutely No Touch-Screen Bullshit
- Absolutely No Software Registration Bullshit

The perfect old-school combo IMHO :mrgreen:

Attachments:
Korg ES-1.jpg
Korg ES-1.jpg [ 219.27 KiB | Viewed 7061 times ]
Roland SP-404SX.jpg
Roland SP-404SX.jpg [ 309.14 KiB | Viewed 7061 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:45 pm 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
[Fuck me ,you really are hysterical.

Here we are again with the everything is utter bollocks unless I'm buying it shit talk and the usual long winded masturbating posts over the latest gear you've foolishly decided you're going to own for 5 minutes until you return it in a few weeks time

And just like all the other gear you've raved about ,had your hands on for a week or two then returned this 'perfect combo' you've just mentioned means nothing ..zilch- because you produce absolutely fuck all music to back up your ridiculous claims with any of it ..big time,nada ..and you still have no gear- you've admitted yourself that you haven't got a clue how to arrange some beats and samples into a basic ,simple track, yet here you are laughably informing people of what they should and shouldn't choose to buy ...then try to piss all over the choices they do make . ..time and time again .

How can anyone take anything you recommend seriously when all you do is plug it in and send it back? ..we'd all be fucking broke by now and living off beans on toast ..

Bitterly ranting ...I've never known anyone quite like you and especially on a music making forum.

You're a ghoul...

It's boring as fuck .

You're the only individual that contributes to this site that doesn't actually produce anything from what I can see ...what does that tell you ?

So go and devote some time to learning the artform...let's see what you can fucking do ..on YOUR GEAR.

We'll still be waiting 12 months from now because you'll have been through another 3 setup's by then and moaning your miserable arse off creating threads about the injustice of it all on the forum lol

All you do is talk .

Elephant Talk .

GTFOH.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:12 pm 

Danswift wrote:
I've never known anyone quite like you ...

Cheers bruh, me neither :mrgreen:

I do love our little verbal battles, but to be fair, on this occassion I was specifically asked for my opinion on the MPC, so clearly not everyone shares your opinion of my opinions!

It's not like I came here to trash your new baby or anything. Look at my initial posts and you'll see the polar opposite. I'm not even hating on your new X believe it or not (I totally understand why it would work for you), but it's definitely not the sort of gear I can get along with personally, and I did point out that my opinions are just that, they are just my own opinions.

So as far as I'm concerned, they might as well remove the "AKAI" branding from it and just print "inMusic" on the unit instead, cause that's all it is, it's basically a piggy-bank for inMusic, a cash register with pads on, made by the corporates for the corporates (a fucking devious bunch of corporates too if you ask me).

Peeps need to remember that these new MPCs are NOT made by the same AKAI that those old school MPCs were made by. AKAI were originally a Japanese company word-renowned for their samplers, but they were bought out by the current corporate shit-stains who I'm guessing purchased the brand in order to do exactly what they are doing with it.

And it's not like you deserve to know after the way you just reponded, saying all that horrible stuff to me, but I hear there's a menu option hidden somewhere on those new MPCs that allow you to order pizza, so you might as well make use of it just in case you end up getting nothing productive done with it, and end up sending it back!

Regards what TGN said about his ideal SP-808, I personally think that we will see an SP-808MKII, but I suspect it will likely suffer the same sort of unfortunate design flaws that the SP-404MKII suffers from.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:11 pm 

Why would I send it back you absolute dork? ..I've already got productive with it by creating programs from stuff I'm working on past and present,I'm producing beats for a M.C. I'm collaborating with, im building kits, chopping breaks and samples into fragments.

While you sit there twiddling your thumbs and rubbing your dick over a SP 404 SX that's waiting to be shoved through the letterbox lol...

You'll absolutely hate it within less than a month..I guarantee that.

And the vinyl sim sucks too.

It's now over 2 years since you joined this place ..you came on here owning a 404 -A and after all this time and equipment you've had and returned without producing one single note of music you've now suddenly decided the perfect solution is the 404 -SX ..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You can stick the pizza up your donkeys pepperoni ...or the mailman's ass .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:26 pm 

Danswift wrote:
Why would I send it back you absolute dork? ..I've already got productive with it by creating programs from stuff I'm working on past and present,I'm producing beats for a M.C. I'm collaborating with, im building kits, chopping breaks and samples into fragments.

Cool, I'm pleased to hear you're getting along fine with your new cash register!

Danswift wrote:
While you sit there twiddling your thumbs and rubbing your dick over a SP 404 SX ...

Damn right, and an ES-1 as well don't forget :mrgreen:

Danswift wrote:
You'll absolutely hate it within less than a month..I guarantee that.

And the vinyl sim sucks too.

No way bruh, the SX Vinyl Sim is the best variant IMHO. The OG shares the same Vinyl Sim as the SP-303, which is more of a Wow effect than Flutter. The MKII is supposed to be the same as on the SX, but it isn't quite the same and lacks a little. Therefore the 'SX', the 'A' and the '555' are the only SPs that have the ultimate version of the best Vinyl Sim IMHO.

Danswift wrote:
It's now over 2 years since you joined this place ..you came on here owning a 404 -A and after all this time and equipment you've had and returned without producing one single note of music you've now suddenly decided the perfect solution is the 404 -SX ..

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well that's true, you gotta admire my determination though :lol:

Danswift wrote:
You can stick the pizza up your donkeys pepperoni ...

Bruh, you know very well I no longer own a donkey, he lives with other donkeys now!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:47 am 

Danswift wrote:
SP-User wrote

SP-404SX and the ES-1. Both of those products run rings around the MPC range for sound quality .

sorry guys, SP-User, but es1 is not comparable in quality sound to sp404 neither mpc, they got different converters and sampling rate too. It (the es1) has lower quality sound.
i own an es1 and owned a 404 and an mpc1000/500 (ok i can say that the new mpcs -x,one etc- are also different in sounds from those -1000,500,2500 etc- wich were already different from the old ones -950,60,3000 etc-); saying this, after the es1 korg upgraded it with the esx and its valves (tubes) because of this weak (or lofi) sound (of the es1). wich is, lofi, per definition. Some still prefer the es1 sound because of this particularity. But if you want quality sound, the 303, the 404 or the mpcs are far better (and different).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:07 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
No way bruh, the SX Vinyl Sim is the best variant IMHO. The OG shares the same Vinyl Sim as the SP-303, which is more of a Wow effect than Flutter. The MKII is supposed to be the same as on the SX, but it isn't quite the same and lacks a little. Therefore the 'SX', the 'A' and the '555' are the only SPs that have the ultimate version of the best Vinyl Sim IMHO.

This comment alone proves that you still know nothing about SP culture.

No one is wanting the 404 SX the A or 555 for the Vinyl Sim you utter tool...the 303 and 404 OG versions of that algorithm are considered legendary for a reason,it became almost the signature sound of those machines because of the producers and beatmakers who were using them and the music they released .

Do your fucking homework...once again,all you have to do is look through the archives of this forum.

I think a lot of this stuff that comes from you and out of your mouth is down to sour grapes and bitterness frankly .
You remind me of the sort of person who'll resent the neighbours for buying a new car .

I knew for a fact when I started the thread that youd try to piss all over the fact I'd bought this sampler and go on one of your long winded rants telling everyone what they should buy instead.

But guess what ? ..I seriously couldn't give two fucks.
I can afford to-because I have the financial means to.

And by the time I've released the next sample pack were working on and the company pays for that work, itll have paid for the MPC X itself .

Go figure ....paid work .

When was the last time you did any ?

I think you also keep returning the gear you purchase because you'll sit with it for a week or two,suss out the technical specifications and find a 'fault' with it ...and that's ALL you do.

I reckon you're doing this because you get the equipment but you dont have the abilities to actually make music,cant loop up some simple beats or even start to produce anything of any merit whatsoever.

Which then manifests itself in your rages and rantings on here.

As I said upthread...anyone who'd be fucking foolish enough to listen to anything youd recommend would be as broke as your ass is and living off boiled rice and water by now.

Last edited by Danswift on Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:20 pm 

ellaguru wrote:
sorry guys, SP-User, but es1 is not comparable in quality sound to sp404 neither mpc, they got different converters and sampling rate too. It (the es1) has lower quality sound.

Bruh, you shortened my sentence when quotng me and that's not what I meant, but I can see that I worded the sentence wrongly and why it came across that way.

So to clarify, what I was saying is that an SP-404SX/ES-1 combo gives me a solution that sounds better and is more hands-on than an MPC. I didn't actually mean that the ES-1 is higher fidelity than the MPC, that is obviously not the case because the ES-1 is a blatantly Lo-Fi device.

So as far as the ES-1 goes, I meant that it's way more hands-on than an MPC (touch-screen or otherwise). The sound quality comparison I made comes strictly from comparing what the SP sounded like compared to the MPC. Like I said it's a subjective thing, and it wouldn't matter if a hundred people compared the two, you're going to get different opions because we all have different monitoring systems and headphones. All I know is the MPC one did not have the wow factor the SP gave me. I was super-impressed with the sound of the SP, not so with the MPC.

What I really like about the ES-1 is that is adds another sampling rate and bit-depth to the combo, a proper one, not a faked one. It has the best interface of any sampling beatbox I've ever seen, and it adds proper pitch and pan control to the combo too, so owning an ES-1 means you're getting a lot more than authentic old-school Lo-Fi vibes from it.

Anyway, thumbs-up to you for owning an ES-1 cause I don't care what anyone says, it absolutely has the best interface design by far, and I'm not the only one who thinks they kick ass, either. There's a dude on YouTube who buys and sells MPCs for a living, yet he loves the ES-1 so much he's thinking of buying another one.

Unfortunately, the ES-1 appears to get overlooked and I reckon the only reason for that is because it lacks a Vinyl Sim. I've included two videos here and I reckon that anyone who has overlooked the ES-1 in the past should take a look at them.

The first is an MPC guy telling you about it, and the second is a demonstration of just how well designed and easy that interface is, you can tell how well desinged it is by how fast he works with it, regardless of whether he's sampling, editing, assigning, truncating or normalising, it's all just really well thought out.

In a nutshell, the ES-1 has all the basic sampling functionality you need and nothing you don't need, it is literally the perfect Lo-Fi sampler IMHO. Peeps really need to look at some high resolution images and read carefully what functions are assigned to those buttons and knobs, and I think they will soon realise what they are missing out on!

There is only one warning I would give to potential purchasers of an ES-1 and that is to stay away from the MKII version. The MKII is unfortunately a downgrade, not an upgrade. They removed the nice big data-dial and replaced it with a stupid knob and even made the display smaller from the looks of it. It also looks really cheap compared to the original even though it has a metal front. So anyone interested in an ES-1 should insist on the original version IMHO.

MPC Guy Talking ES-1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSwTRMX67LQ

Demo of multitimbral sampling ease and good interface design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvYT8waqRm4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:46 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
ellaguru wrote:

Bruh, you shortened my sentence when quotng me and that's not what I meant, but I can see that I worded the sentence wrongly and why it came across that way.

So to clarify, what I was saying is that an SP-404SX/ES-1 combo gives me a solution that sounds better and is more hands-on than an MPC. I didn't actually mean that the ES-1 is higher fidelity than the MPC, that is obviously not the case because the ES-1 is a blatantly Lo-Fi device.

So as far as the ES-1 goes, I meant that it's way more hands-on than an MPC (touch-screen or otherwise). The sound quality comparison I made comes strictly from comparing what the SP sounded like compared to the MPC. Like I said it's a subjective thing, and it wouldn't matter if a hundred people compared the two, you're going to get different opions because we all have different monitoring systems and headphones. All I know is the MPC one did not have the wow factor the SP gave me. I was super-impressed with the sound of the SP, not so with the MPC.

What I really like about the ES-1 is that is adds another sampling rate and bit-depth to the combo, a proper one, not a faked one. It has the best interface of any sampling beatbox I've ever seen, and it adds proper pitch and pan control to the combo too, so owning an ES-1 means you're getting a lot more than authentic old-school Lo-Fi vibes from it.

Anyway, thumbs-up to you for owning an ES-1 cause I don't care what anyone says, it absolutely has the best interface design by far, and I'm not the only one who thinks they kick ass, either. There's a dude on YouTube who buys and sells MPCs for a living, yet he loves the ES-1 so much he's thinking of buying another one.

Unfortunately, the ES-1 appears to get overlooked and I reckon the only reason for that is because it lacks a Vinyl Sim. I've included two videos here and I reckon that anyone who has overlooked the ES-1 in the past should take a look at them.

The first is an MPC guy telling you about it, and the second is a demonstration of just how well designed and easy that interface is, you can tell how well desinged it is by how fast he works with it, regardless of whether he's sampling, editing, assigning, truncating or normalising, it's all just really well thought out.

In a nutshell, the ES-1 has all the basic sampling functionality you need and nothing you don't need, it is literally the perfect Lo-Fi sampler IMHO. Peeps really need to look at some high resolution images and read carefully what functions are assigned to those buttons and knobs, and I think they will soon realise what they are missing out on!

There is only one warning I would give to potential purchasers of an ES-1 and that is to stay away from the MKII version. The MKII is unfortunately a downgrade, not an upgrade. They removed the nice big data-dial and replaced it with a stupid knob and even made the display smaller from the looks of it. It also looks really cheap compared to the original even though it has a metal front. So anyone interested in an ES-1 should insist on the original version IMHO.

MPC Guy Talking ES-1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSwTRMX67LQ

Demo of multitimbral sampling ease and good interface design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvYT8waqRm4

Man is not subjrctive is a fact, i'm talking about the quality sound. Converters and bit rate are facts.

Saying that, i second that the es1 has a better seq than 303/404. The workflow is different forme the in-your-face approach the 303-404 got. I feel the es1 more useful as a weirdy drum machine for techno/house stuff than boom bap etc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:48 pm 

And now you're backtracking on your original comment..

You seriously don't have a clue what you're talking about .

:lol:

SP-User wrote

SP-404SX and the ES-1. Both of those products run rings around the MPC range for sound quality .

No ..no they don't .

And as Ellaguru just pointed out to you,convertors and bit rates are facts .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:02 pm 

@spuser ... this you?

"THE 404 - by SP-USER

So I got me a 404
Lent it to ma hoe
She say you gotta be kidding
Dis thing aint a singin
Is more like a lemming Yo!"

"turns out the 404 has to be the most unacceptably limited device I have ever come across"

"I've decided to return mine. I just spent a good three hours with it and during that time it has failed to enable/disable effects numerous times. I have to keep changing modes and back again to make it work as it should."

lol, anyways, i thought this thread was about the big box but got derailed into an spusers gear biography.

Anyways, my friend had the MPC One (far from the X) and shortly reverted back to just software. I think maybe the screen and display made him mentally feel like he was still at the computer but his hands just werent adapting idk! for sure looks like a fun piece of gear and I've surprisingly never had a chance to mess about with an mpc in general :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:03 pm 

Ellaguru, yes I know, and I just explained what I meant so please read that reply carefully!

Danswift, no, I haven't "backtracked" on anything dude, and I already explained in my response. I'm the last person on earth who would want to trash something that you (or anyone else for that matter) had just bought. It's true I cannot stand those new MPCs but nevertheless I came here congratulating you on your acquisition cause I knew you had been eye-balling it for some time!

I was then asked for my opinion, bruh, but your words towards me show that you have taken my opinion to be "bitterness". It's nothing of the sort dude, what the fuck have I got to be "bitter" about exactly? Please tell me cause I would honestly love to know what your answer is to that one!

You're a fine one to be lecturing Zindan that time on being paranoid when you yourself are making comments as paranoid as that!

How the fuck can I be "bitter" about something I once had and returned because I didn't like it? Sure, it was not an 'X' but that's completely irrelevant when it comes to these new MPCs, it was the same sort of thing, same workflow and the same corporate shit-stains behind it.

They can stick that oversized cash register with pads on up their corporate arse as far as I'm concerned, I hated the fucking thing and for very good reason bruh! Horrible workflow, horrible interface, completely non-inspirtational in every possible way. Add to that the fact that those corporate shit-stains have even managed to make using a piece of hardware even more bulshitty than using a PC, and you have to ask yourself whether you'd be better off just using a fucking PC in the first place!!!

So I don't undertand. For considerably less money I have an SP-404SX, an ES-1 and a dedicated synth, the MiniFreak. Those are all well-designed dedicated pieces of hardware, dude, not some giant touch-screen cash register with software synth activation bullshittery!

You're getting these sort of responses from me, purely because of the sort of ridiculous things you are saying to me. I mean even playing it safe in case of emergencies, I could have purchsed an 'X' and still had over £600 left in the bank, so again your comment does not make any sense whatsoever!

You're just being paranoid bruh, really fucking paranoid :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:08 pm 

get in the arena

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:16 pm 

SP-USER wrote:

I'm the last person on earth who would want to trash something .

Now I know you're joking ...read back through the comments you've made..not just here but in numerous other threads ...you've done it time and time again.

For considerably less money I have an SP-404SX, an ES-1 and a dedicated synth, the MiniFreak.

That you'll own for around 3 weeks max before it all gets returned ....

"turns out the 404 has to be the most unacceptably limited device I have ever come across"...

Last edited by Danswift on Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:16 pm 

Jaytreaze wrote:
@spuser ... this you?

"THE 404 - by SP-USER

So I got me a 404
Lent it to ma hoe
She say you gotta be kidding
Dis thing aint a singin
Is more like a lemming Yo!"

Well there you go then, just goes to show how much I've learned over the last two years :mrgreen:
That aside, give that dude a record contract immediately!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next