It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

Post subject: Got $330 to burn? Need a new synth??
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:31 pm 

So Korg is discontinued their Korg OPSix FM synth, and are clearing them out for $330!! I know SP-User had one, but felt it sounded great but wanted more keys than provided. But if you can live with that, and are up to the challenge of FM Synths (it’s also called additive synthesis because you don’t really subtract anything from a analog standpoint). Korg has a 2.0 Firmware update which allows you to use Reverb as a carrier (FM synths are Modulators & Carriers, which are sine waves that modulate the operator signals), so this beats a Yamaha DX7 for sound creation with the screen, buttons/knobs/sliders. It’s also DX7 compatible if you want to try the thousands of ones out there on the internet.

Sweetwater said they’ll have a final shipment by the end of August, and I just signed up for a credit card, so by the time it arrives in the mail I’ll set up the payment arrangements. If you want a great digital synth that is the Ferrari of FM synths compared to the Model T Ford, then I wouldn’t sleep on calling your favorite music distributor and get your name on the list. Or hell, buy a few and flip them for mad cash for those who can fund your next studio wishlist item. Either way, Korg’s loss can be your gain.

Post subject: Re: Got $330 to burn? Need a new synth??
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:08 pm 

Wow, thanks for the heads-up bro, and yeah, I totally recommend the OPSIX as a synth, it has to be one of the best on the market to the point I was already considering buying another because I miss it so bloody much!

Just went searching for one after reading your post, but in the UK they all appear to be the usual price or I'd have bought one right away!

I tell you what though, this is really VERY disturbing. For a manufacturer like Korg to discontinue one of its best selling synthesizers only a year after its release is a sign that those WEF psychopaths are succesfully destroying the large corporations headquartered in competing countries exactly as planned.

Seriously bro, China and WEF are behind this and people need to wake-the-fuck-up and fast :!:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:34 pm 

Try Reverb.com, heard there’s gonna be some on sale through that. Worse case scenario, call Anderson’s, or find a US distributor that will ship to the UK. I know the chip shortage might stop future pedals, drum machines, Eurorack modules, synths, electronic drum kits, the list goes on. This isn’t softwares fault. That’s for sure. People still buy hardware, but without the chips, nobody’s buying squat. So all’s I can say is be prepared if there’s a product you kinda want, but just hasn’t been a priority in your life. With all the woes in the world, maybe your dream product will vanish! So hopefully there’s not a massive domino effect to small & large companies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:06 pm 

No point me even trying bruh, I read it's "USA only" :(

Anyway, I hope you manage to get your hands on one at the reduce price, especially since cash is hard to come by for you. I doubt you'd regret buying it so I say go for it bruh, and enjoy, she's a beauty of a synth alright, one of the very best in my opinion and it totally slaughters Yamaha's own MODX implementation of FM, especially after that update!

Powerful stuff 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:52 pm 

Reverb is great, picked up a CZ-101 off there but the seller done a shit job at packaging and the synth was so fucked it wasn’t worth it, sampled what I could note for note and sent it back lol but easy return policy.

My case was just a rare one of the seller not doing good at shipping since the seller had overall great reviews

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:12 pm 

SP-USER wrote:
No point me even trying bruh, I read it's "USA only" :(

Anyway, I hope you manage to get your hands on one at the reduce price, especially since cash is hard to come by for you. I doubt you'd regret buying it so I say go for it bruh, and enjoy, she's a beauty of a synth alright, one of the very best in my opinion and it totally slaughters Yamaha's own MODX implementation of FM, especially after that update!

Powerful stuff 8)

I wish it had audio inputs like the Digitone, but perhaps one day I’ll get my credit score high enough to grab one by next year. As deep as the OPSix is, it seems like it’s patch library is just about infinite. And the fact it can randomize a patch from scratch might be a interesting way to find instant inspiration. Hook it up to any SP/MPC or hardware sampler, and you could make tons of loops, appregrios, beats, songs, etc. I just have to make sure I don’t max out the new credit card. If Korg ever kills off the ModWave, I’m sure I’d want that as well.

Big bummer it’s a exclusive sale for the states only. World wide people will start to flip it for top dollar. Maybe that’s why it’s just for us only? Cuz they only have so many left in stock.

As far as Reverb goes, sorry you got burned on the Casio CZ101 JayTreze. How hard is it for a seller to figure out to spend a little extra on bubble wrap or styrofoam popcorn??? If THEY wouldn’t want something they bought online poorly packaged, then there’s ZERO exscuse for not packaging it right. Good thing you got some samples and your cash back. I made the mistake of doing a trade for a SP-505 that I told him was sorta busted (RCA ins/outs were fried), but I told him it still worked to sample from the mic in. So first he offers cash, then all a sudden wants to trade for a Volca Sample. I agreed to it. But not only did he send it in a paper bag practically, but he wiped the memory of it. So I never bothered to deal with it since the day it came. Shows what I get for trying to part ways with a sorta fritzy SP505. Since we didn’t exchange cash, We couldn’t complain too much I guess.

I’m just waiting on my brand new credit card to arrive so I can give Sweetwater the card number. But won’t order nothing until they get their shipment. If I don’t get one, I suppose it’ll be the one that got away.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:17 pm 

Credit card came in yesterday, and I immediately called up Sweetwater to pass them my credit card. I owe a balance of $63, but I’ll have that by next Friday. There is a lot to learn with that one synth alone, so after I pay back the credit card I’ll see about saving up for the SP 404mk2.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:17 pm 

Sweetwater said their final shipment arrives this week. Got mine reserved. If you want one, gooooooood luck! But it might be found on Reverb/eBay now. (At inflated prices no doubt). I’ve heard some come with messed up LCDs, but Korg will take care of it & fix it if so. Think heat affects them in shipping containers floating from ocean port to ocean port I guess. I’m hoping mine arrives with no issues. If it’s not the latest operating system I might have to drop by a friends place & get it in there. Hopefully Korg was nice enough to do that. If not, not a deal breaker. Just have to ask if a friend can let me bring it over and install the file.

It’s one deep synth. FM wasn’t much fun to make patches on the original DX7. It’s why everyone who used it in the 80’s used the same sounds, but didn’t do much about making their own. It even stumped Kraftwerk it was so tricky. But Korg knew how to do it right out of the box, so kudos for them. I hope their other synths don’t go the way out like this, cuz I can’t buy everything they have on the market!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:38 am 

Sorry to hear about the display bruh, I thought it was a bit weird them discontinuing the OPSIX just months after releasing an update for it yet there were no such discontinuations for the older Wavestate. I think the fact that they put the time and effort into such a major update for the OPSIX just recently should tell us all something:

I think it tells us all that the OPSIX has not been discontinued.

I'm guessing the display issue you mentioned is the real reason they dumped them onto the market at such a reduced price. Perhaps they started getting a lot of returns and found they had a batch of units with faulty displays. So my guess is they looked into what batches were effected (via serial number) and basically just sold-off the effedcted batch at the reduced price.

I'm guessing they're pinning their hopes on the customer being ok with having a brand new synth stripped down to have the display replaced due to getting it much cheaper, but personally I'd have demanded my money back.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but I reckon it is because I cannot imagine why Korg doing something as unusual as that with a current (very popular) synth and then finding out about the displays is 'just a coincidence'.

Roland had a major display issue on their hands with the Juno-G, and even Yamaha have one right now due to their precious new over-priced under-powered home keyboard being plagued with display issues.

Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xi2ycrz5FI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:56 pm 

I just have read other people’s issues when their arrived. I don’t think that’s why Korg gave up on it. They just sadly painted themselves in a corner and maybe made the right product at the wrong time. Perhaps if their marketing department knew they couldn’t sustain it in the market for more than a year, they wouldn’t have bothered? Not for me to say. I hate to say this, but I’m sure it won’t be the only product that will go the way of the dinosaurs. Future Retro & WMD are shutting down, and that’s sad. I won’t be surprised if Roland has to kill off a few products it just can’t sell or provide the chips for the demand out there to make money off of.

For now, I’m just waiting for a huge Silver Korg box from Sweetwater, while I try to figure out how to get out of the financial quicksand this credit card brought it to my door. Wouldn’t worry me as much if my hours at work weren’t being reduced. But we’re at our slow season, so just waiting for the holidays to gimme the 9-10 hour days I did last fall/winter of 2021. Plus I get my $2 raise in November. I’m hoping to be saving up for the 404 mk2 before Xmas. If they tell me I have to wait until next spring or summer, I might just invest more into modular synths or something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:33 pm 

Well fingers crossed for you bro, I hope you get one without display issues, it's an awesome synth, I wish it had that update when I had it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:41 pm 

Yeah, updates can be hit or miss. Especially if they know there’s bugs, but can’t get to the bottom of it until everyone complains. Then they go over the code & figure how to fix & improve. Really depends on the device & the company.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:56 pm 

It’s on its way. Might do a review in a couple weeks. But maybe there’s no point because it’s gonna be hard to buy one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:00 pm 

Pleased to hear it, but honestly I wouldn't worry about them discontinuing the OPSIX, no way have they discontinued it, no way bruh, I simply refuse to believe it. And even if they have, it will only be temporary until they push-out the module versions of these synths that everyone keeps asking for (me included).

I mean, do you honestly think a corporate like Korg is going to throw-away all that investment and profit when people are wrestless for module versions of these synths?

No way bruh, no way, they only released a major update for it recently and just yesterday Korg themselves posted a brand new video promoting the OPSIX and the other two in the series on their own channel!

Latest OPSIX Promo Video from Korg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hswefKghuPM

So don't worry about it bruh, just enjoy that beast! And absolutely, I would love to know what you think of it once you've had it a few weeks! I'm pretty damn sure you're gonna be impressed with it if FM is your thing!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:09 am 

I’ve “heard” people had more of a boner for the Hydra synth more than they did the OPSix. That also the synth market is just over saturated. There’s shipping woes, Covid, chip shortages, and more synth companies than ever who
Are probably in the Eurorack market, but maaaaaaybe shits gonna hit the fan. If the economy tanks, I don’t think musicians or hobbyists like myself are going to have LESS money to buy equipment with if rent/food/gas/health care go through the roof. Maybe the recession is here already? I’m no economist. But I’m hearing China’s economy is all about to free fall because they invest in real estate projects they can’t finish, and the banks have essentially stolen their money of their investors, so you have cities of half finished buildings they can’t afford to finish! If China is going to fall apart, what will happen to any synth company that has Chinese labor? I would guess they won’t be in much of a hurry to make much if they’re too busy rioting against the CCP. Which might mean synth prices skyrocketing or products only available on the used market.

It could be baaaad. I try not to think about it. I just know my job just fired 400 office pencil pushers in Boston. My company just decided to trim the fat and pull the rug from under them. They say “Don’t worry, your job is safe”. Well, it is as long as people order. If they don’t and they decided to axe me & my co workers, I’d be essentially fucked, and looking for my next job. (And worrying about having to sell my equipment if I can’t!)

I used to work every Saturday for overtime. This is the 3rd weekend I haven’t been allowed to come in. And boy do my paychecks suck like a $5 hooker! I’m hoping I somehow just ride out the dry spell and hopefully by the time I can work Saturdays again, I’ll pay off the credit card I just signed up for to pay for the OPSIX.

I try to set goals for myself. I want to go on a trip by next January. But I want a SP404 mk2. Yet I want to someday start a modular synth of my own Frankenstein experience. But if next year things go to shit, well what can I do? I’ll just have to see what happens.