It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Post subject: Microphone recommendations?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:01 am 

Ive recorded bit of rapping using headphones plugged into the EXT input on my sp404. Ive also used the microkorg XL+ microphone. I was curious what kinds of microphones people were using to record raps with their SP?

Any recommendations that would be better than just using headphones or the microkorg mic?

Post subject: Re: Microphone recommendations?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:35 pm 

Since the input is designed to take a Dynamic Mic, surely best to go for that, preferably one with the widest dynamic range. Some of those dynamic mics are only specced down to 50Hz, but look carefully and you can do better, and the lower it can go, the better the bass response should be, and that's nice to have if you want to retain some heft and body to the sound.

Also look out for an on-body switch because sadly a lot of 'em don't even have one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:24 pm 

I’m needing at least 2 or 3 mics, but they’re for my RC505 and Akai Miniak so I can get some Vocoder vocals or to sample odd sounds here & there. I kinda don’t know if I have to spend extra money on a pre-amp or compressor. I’m not really a singer or rapper, so I don’t NEED a $1-500 microphone. I know there’s cheap ones out there, but kinda don’t know where to start and what connection of cables will work with my existing loop box/synth. It’s a project I keep putting off, but I’m open to anyone’s input.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:43 pm 

buy a cheap karaoke mic and raw dog it into the 404,, no pop filter no nothing lmao

jk lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:35 pm 

Naw, it’s gotta be the regular mic cable connection (3 pin), but I may just end up taking both to a local music shop and see if they’ll be willing to get me a good deal on 2-3 mics and the necessary connections. Hopefully I don’t have to spend extra on mic preamps or compressors, but if I really had to I guess I’d save up.

I’d like to also use a mic on guitar fx pedals, but not sure what that involves. That will be the reason for a 3rd mic. I’m not trying to get anyone’s vocals, and I can’t see a reason for a pop shield.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:26 pm 

Can't you just use the microphone you got with the MINIAK on the RC-505?

If not, I read that the RC-505 has phantom power, so that means you could buy a BM-800 on eBay and use that. You'd need an XLR-to-XLR cable for that, but the BM-800 is so damn cheap even brand new that you could buy the mic and the cable for around $20 anyway. Not sure if that mic would work on the MINIAK though since I don't know if the MINIAK has Phantom Power (and you need Phantom Power with the BM-800 cause it's a condenser mic).

But yeah, the BM-800 appears to be a good quaity mic for such a ridiculously low price (frankly it's amazing they can sell them so damn cheply and still make a profit). Comes in all different colours and under a whole bunch of different brand names but it's still the same mic.

You'd need to find out if your MINIAK can provide Phantom Power though, cause although the RC-505 has it according to the specs, I couldn't find out about the MINIAK in the specifications.

You don't need a compressor for any mic unless you feel you need one, and you don't need an amplifier either. Condenser mics such as the BM-800 (which you'll find all over eBay) use Phantom Power to deliver their performance, whereas dynamic mics do not require phantom power but are not as good as condenser mics (in fact feeding a dynamic mic with Phantom Power will likely destroy it).

So providing the MINIAK has Phantom Power, all you need is a BM-800 mic and an XLR-to-XLR cable, and both are so cheap brand new it makes no sense at all to buy second hand.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:35 am 

So I picked up 2 Behringer BC110 mics. They use 1/4” input, which is good for plugging into my SP202/404/505, guitar pedals, and my Boss mixer. It doesn’t use XLR ins/outs, so it’s not gonna cut the mustard for my Akai Miniak or RC-505. But I only paid $20 each for them, so I can’t complain. They work fine to my ears, but I’m sure they aren’t “as good” as $100-1000 mics. But I wouldn’t spend that much on a mic anyway!

I saw a Behringer gooseneck mic for $30, which I may as well order next payday.