It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 pm

Post subject: Behringer RD6
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 2:14 am 

So it ain’t really no secret Behringer’s been cloning classic gear, and I bought my TD3 last summer. But it didn’t arrive until September. So at one point they announced the RD6, and I was glad they did that. But fast forward to 2021, and I get my stimulus check. I knew I was going to order the RD6 over the RD8. Nothing wrong with a 808 clone, but I’m kinda sick of Trap as it is, so I’ve always wanted a TR606 because it had that analogue snap to it. I had to wait for it to get shipped but it arrived a week ago. And if you are looking for a budget drum machine besides the Korg Volca beats, then you’re in for a treat.

Some bad points first: it doesn’t run on batteries, only 1 bar patterns (but you can chain 2 similar patterns together), and like the 606, you can’t shape or tune/detune the drum kit. So if you can live with that, here’s the good news..

It’s cheap ($110-150), comes in loads of colors, has multi outs if you like to set up each individual drum part into effects processors, guitar pedals, Kaosspads, etc, has a Handclap from the DR-110, and onboard distortion which the 606 never had. Oh, and you can save patterns to your PC or Mac.

One thing I love is the random feature. If there’s a pattern you don’t like, you press the 2 buttons in write mode, and it makes a new one on the spot. If you don’t like the new one, keep doing it until you find a new one you’re happy with. So this is a lot of fun to use.

If you’re into electro breaks, house, techno, this is a great drum machine. It might not have a large selection of drum kits, but neither did the original. So if it’s not quite what you need from a drum machine, then fair enough. But you’ll miss out on the fun of the RD6!

Post subject: Re: Behringer RD6
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 3:05 pm 

Headphones wrote:
So it ain’t really no secret Behringer’s been cloning classic gear, and I bought my TD3 last summer. But it didn’t arrive until September.

hi, how you find the td3? i'm very tempted, from what i've heard it sounds very nice

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:50 am 

To my ears, it sounds about 95% spot on, but I’ve never had a real TB303 to Pepsi Challenge it so to speak. But like the RD6 you can use distortion to make it scream, but there’s YouTube videos that utilize different fuzz, overdrive and distortion pedals to use with it, if the one provided doesn’t cut the mustard for you. It doesn’t run on batteries like the Roland Boutique TB-03, but I own both, and hands down I reach for the TD3 more than the TB-03. However, at least it’s battery powered and has distortion and delay features. Doesn’t quite have that random pattern feature though, but there’s different ways to program it. If Roland has a app or online feature that lets you program it in your DAW, I’m
Not aware of it. The TB-03 just doesn’t sound as good though, and they can brag all they want they digitally recreated the original circuits, but too bad it’s not real analogue like the TD3/RD6.

Speaking of Roland, they released a TR-06 Boutique, and it can do some more tricks the RD6 can’t, such as selectable kicks, snares, hats, etc, more fx, and I think 2 bar sequencing, but I couldn’t afford it at the moment. I will probably get it this year or next, but I’m not in any real hurry. I’m sure it’ll sound ok, but the RD6 will likely sound better. But can’t say for certain yet.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:08 pm 

yes, the td3 seems really spot on, will maybe give it a try soon also 'cause prices are really lowering here (about 100€ in shops here in europe)

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:27 am 

I encourage you to get both because it’s like you’re getting modded TB303’s/TR606’s for WAY cheaper than the real machines. And there are actually mods that can be done to both if you really want to go there. I’m not very good with electronics so I’m not willing to have either modded. But if I picked up a 2nd, and I knew someone who knew what they were doing, I’d let them mod it. But if you need just a good TD3 for a TB303/XoXbox synth, you’ll love it.