It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 am

Post subject: MPC Fat Pads. Really?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:47 am 

I know there are some of us rocking old MPC's. For the 500, 1000, 2500 they are all the same pads and gap. I always used the electrical tape method
https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to- ... tivity-DIY

For father's day (because I'm an awesome dad) I thought " Imma order a few sets of Fat pads.

Besides for looking f*cking awesome, I see no benefit over just electrical taping the original pads. They actually seem just as bad as the originals.

I think I'm going to have to pull them back out to tape the backs. These pads are pure hype, although they look dope as f*ck.

Attachments:
IMG_1844Forum.jpg
IMG_1844Forum.jpg [ 178.63 KiB | Viewed 9372 times ]
 Post subject: Re: MPC Fat Pads. Really?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:06 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
Looks really dope,shame its mostly hype though as you've mentioned Crane.

I've always wanted an MPC of some description ,although I've never gotten around to acquiring a machine.

Been seriously thinking about pushing the boat out and purchasing the MPC X before this years out recently.

Anybody here own/used one ?

Would be interested to know your opinions.

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:04 pm 

yeah, as public enemy said. "Don't believe the hype". I know sharris said the pads are great and her word is pretty golden so I blew 85 for two sets, not the end of the world, I'll tape the backs up and they will work the same as the modded originals.

I don't have the X but I have the MPC studio black as well as the X's little brother the Live and they all seem to work the same. I am far from fluent in the mpc world, but I can get around, and would say if your willing to dip your toes in, and have the money to spare I think the X will do you well.

In my own solace and quest for inspiration I have been using the Korg ESX. for simple and fun, but I would like to pin down this 1000.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:05 pm 

Has anyone tried the fat replacement-pads for SP 404sx/a? Since, the SX has really hard pads I've been sort of tempted.

https://www.mpcstuff.com/roland-sp-404s ... nt-rubber/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:33 am 

janglesoul wrote:
Has anyone tried the fat replacement-pads for SP 404sx/a? Since, the SX has really hard pads I've been sort of tempted.

Yeah vingthorthehurler has them not sure how often he signs on but you could always message him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:23 pm 

Crane wrote:
I think I'm going to have to pull them back out to tape the backs. These pads are pure hype, although they look dope as f*ck.

You own the MPC1000 mk1 (blue version). Fat pads won't fix the defective pad sensors that I'm assuming you're doing the "electrical tape trick" to fix. Spend the money on the pad sensor upgrade + fat pads.

*Happy MPC1k owner with pad sensor upgrade and fat pads.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:28 pm 

formal wrote:
You own the MPC1000 mk1 (blue version). Fat pads won't fix the defective pad sensors that I'm assuming you're doing the "electrical tape trick" to fix. Spend the money on the pad sensor upgrade + fat pads.

*Happy MPC1k owner with pad sensor upgrade and fat pads.

Hate to be Captain obvious here, but obviously if I installed fatpads the old tray and 16 individual pads have already been removed and replaced with the new tray and sensor sheet in the machine.

Attachments:
IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2189.JPG [ 102.4 KiB | Viewed 8668 times ]
IMG_2190.JPG
IMG_2190.JPG [ 58.86 KiB | Viewed 8668 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:53 pm 

Not really here to defend the Fat Pads, but I know and been through its history.

The first ones were derived from the stock pads and the material was much softer, just in different colors. Then later, after much DIY'rs putting tape under the pads, the company then included a pack of Corx padding with the pads which improved sensitivity greatly, piano like.

Then it dawned on the company, to just redo the mold as if it were taped under the pads and viola, Fat Pads was born. You might have a set in your MPC, if NO logo is present. Those were the golden pads. Ones with the logo embedded are the newer molds.

So thats the confusion, they once were good, but quality changed since.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:53 pm 

Thanks for clearing that up iLL Green. Yah my fat pads were the OG gummy ones from about 12 years ago. Been a LONG time since I put them in.