It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

Post subject: Layering & Effects
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:02 pm 

I got a SP404A I’m having a hard time layering nothing matches up when I layer any tips on that would be wonderful.

also I was wondering if they’re any effects that help any of you layer sounds?

Post subject: Re: Layering & Effects
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:18 pm 

what is your current workflow?

eq/filter on final version .

Do you have a computer DAW?

A loop pedal is a good investment ( even the cheapest- with infinite overloop ) .. lay your shit down into that .. piece by piece then record the best back into SP .. or to a DAW

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:21 am 

Imho each instrument should have its own designated EQ spectrum.
It's hard doing the colouring on SP, simply because you have only three knobs (low, Mid, hi), and no "Q" - but it still needs to be done.
You can use other efx to achieve something similar, but however you look at it - this is extremely important step.
Like, cut the lows off the hihat, cut the highs off a kick a bit, etc.
That way instruments are bound to sit better in the mix.
If you are trying to mix similar sounding samples together, especially the ones that are practically in the same EQ spectrum - it's gonna be a pain in the ass every time.

I'd avoid mixing in the SP all together, like THEGREAT said, use DAW and speed up the process immensely.
Upside to that is - you can use 'panning' as well, compared to the SP where proper panning is wizardry, and you get to visualise the track.
Set the levels, then export everything back to SP and continue working

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:10 am 

^ right on

Subtractive eq sweeping will give tidy results, and allow each layer to sit in it's own space.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:19 pm 

Do you have an example of a track that isn't layering properly?

I am by no means a pro, but choosing the right sounds at first is crucial. Like what others said, everything having its space is key. EQing helps and you can do some crazy stuff with it, but I think of it more like makeup. You results will be much better if you have something that works first rather than taking something that doesn't and trying to force it in place.

Something else crucial to check are your levels. If something sticks out too much drop it back. A good rule of thumb is you want everything to be heard and nothing to be overwhelming.

Effects can/will help, but you don't want to start with those. I don't know what effects the 404 has, but for example the 505 has one called radio tuning. It dirties up the sample and does some eq, namely cutting lows and some highs and adds a mid bump somewhere around the 1k range, I would guess offhand. That works great on things like vocals, strings, or things you want to listener to be able to "hear" or distinguish more (the human ear is tuned for speech, which is between 1-3k), but it would gut something like a kick or bass, and take the zing out of a cymbal or hat. So the effect can help layer, but it needs to be on something already sitting in the right frequency range.

You don't *need* to know detailed specifics, but you do need to train your ear to listen to things like that.

EDIT: I kinda went off on a tangent like an old man, but I think a flexible EQ or compressor would really help. You can pick up 7 band EQ pedals for 20 bucks any day of the week. Something like a chorus can help layer, too.