It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Pocket Operator K.O PO-33 Sampler
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:32 pm 

Ill Green wrote:
I wish the batteries would die like in a cassette walkman. Of how the sound slowly pitches down until it completely dies. Lol I remember listening to ODB and batteries had it pitched at at -20. Listened to the whole album like that.

Ha, yes. Squeeze every once out them.

SP-404SX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:55 pm 

Kegeratorz wrote:

Ha, yes. Squeeze every once out them.

:D yup thats how I look at it.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:22 pm 

Mine arrives in the mail tomorrow. I can't wait to use this with the 404.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:26 pm 

You're gonna have a fun weekend :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:32 pm 

Am I wrong in thinking from watching the videos that sequencing is so much better than on a sp404.

Even trimming reminds me of the sp404

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:39 pm 

Not better. Just different.

K.O. - locked in 16note quantize, 1 bar per sequence, 16 sequences & no resampling.

404 - different quantize settings, no quantize if you want, 99 bar sequences & 120 sequences, plus resampling (I know that's not a sequencer setting, but resampling goes really well with it)

I guess sequencing on the K.O. COULD be considered easier in a sense as you can step sequence & don't even have to play it in. But K.O.s are way more limiting than a 404.

Trimming is similar in the sense that you can't see the waveform.

It's a lot of fun tho, I love it. Def worth the price.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:45 pm 

Someone has given me the option of a mpc 500 or a ko33 ?, which one to cop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:17 pm 

Eh....it depends on how much you want to spend, the condition of the MPC 500.....I have both & I love them both, so I would get both :)

K.O. brand new $89

MPC 500 - I paid $400 for mine, mint condition, fat red pads, upgraded memory, warranty (bought it used). I heard a lot of bad things about the 500 (bugs, ect), so I wanted to make sure I could take it back if needed. It def has it's quirks, but I love it.

K.O. is WAAAAAAY more limiting, but it's TINY as fuck & A LOT cheaper. All though limiting, it blows my mind what can be done with it at it's size.

Any questions let me know, I use both a lot & really happy with both of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:47 pm 

Sharris wrote:
Eh....it depends on how much you want to spend, the condition of the MPC 500.....I have both & I love them both, so I would get both :)

K.O. brand new $89

MPC 500 - I paid $400 for mine, mint condition, fat red pads, upgraded memory, warranty (bought it used). I heard a lot of bad things about the 500 (bugs, ect), so I wanted to make sure I could take it back if needed. It def has it's quirks, but I love it.

K.O. is WAAAAAAY more limiting, but it's TINY as fuck & A LOT cheaper. All though limiting, it blows my mind what can be done with it at it's size.

Any questions let me know, I use both a lot & really happy with both of them.

Well copped the 500 for $100 in the UK. Guy who sold it to me was in jail for the past week before bailing on court to meet me and get the money. Definitely dude was heavy into drugs, but was nice enough.

I'm sure I could have gotten it down more due to the knobs and slider but everything works, tested everything, pads, buttons, batteries, cf card its all works which was the most shocking thing.

Anyway anyone know where I can cop the knobs and slider for cheap, know mpc stuff have them but they're pretty expensive to ship to the UK. I know they're basic oem parts.

KInda happy I got this over the ko33

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:00 pm 

Shit $100 for an MPC 500, hell yea!

The only place I know of is MPC Stuff for parts.

The 500 can be a little quirky, but once I figured out the quirks of mine, they were easy to get around.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Also the MPC forum has A LOT of info.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:37 pm 
Winner of Gold Medal
Winner of Gold Medal

Just got mine in the mail after a 2 month wait! Messed around with it last night (made a couple of beats) damn it's fun once you get the hang of it.

I like how I can keep the same workflow as I do on 606 (Sample a long piece... spread it across the map and adjust the start points accordingly). Very glad that the samples of the same group cut each other off - nice for banging out a quick beat. For drums you gotta do hi-hats as a separate group if you're gonna play over a kick or snare, for that reason.

Patterns are only 1 bar long. Pretty annoying for now but once i get quicker on this quick it wont be too bad.

Everything gets quantized when you record patterns but it doesn't mean you can't bang something out live. Can also take like a 1 bar off-beat hi-hat sample and throw it in that way.

Overall very impressed. Gonna try and put a collection of beats together on this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:37 pm 

What I normally do is link sequences together right off the bat, so I can start with a 2 or 4 bar sequence..... of course this means you use your sequences up pretty fast, but I'm not a fan of 1 bar loops either, so it's worth it for me.

When the sequences are linked you can still punch in sounds live or step sequence.

& I'm not a fan of the quantize limitation, but 1 way I get around it is I leave a little air before the sample, so you can adjust the start point (I do this for the ghost kicks......the "ba" in "ba-boom"

This info is just for anyone out there......... not tryin to teach you Teewok, you got skills, especially with the chops!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:31 am 

Hello,
I just registered to this forum because I have a little question about the PO 33.
I Bought it a month ago and it's a really fun "toy", I like it a lot except for one thing: the recording quality which is really bad.
I thought since I got it that it was "normal" for its price, maybe, but I'm starting to have serious doubts. On many videos people record samples via the line in and can play it on the po33 with a little distortion, not enough too annoy.
But on mine, I can't play anything without a big noise wich disappears only when i fully turn the cutoff knob. I tried a best cable quality, many sources, but i'm unable to have a clear sound. I don't know about the mic, the quality is acceptable except for "bassy" sounds, but I don't know if this is the sound quality expected by the developpers. But for the Line in, the quality is so crappy that I have to ask you :
Does it seems normal ? Can you record kicks, bass, or even piano (..or anything) and replay it with a clear sound without touching the filter knob too much on your pocket operators ? (Because I can't...) Or am I missing something ?
Ah and there is also a strange problem, i'm unable to write on the first step of the first pattern while playing, it puts the note on the first step of the last pattern instead. Does anybody knows why this occures ?

Many thanks in advance
(Sorry for the writing range, it's not my language but i'm trying my best ^^)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:11 pm 

Well it's 8 bit, so it's gonna sound ruff. You can get decent quality tho, certain sounds are effected by the 8 bit more than others, the volume output is low, but if you record too hot, it will distort even more.

Try turning the volume of the samples down, it will distort a lot less. Also, like I stated above, when sampling be careful not to clip.

Below are 2 beats I made on it, best quality I was able to get, I had to use a mixer to boost the level without distorting too much & I also eq'd.....didn't master either tho. Just play with it, but you can't get around the fact that it's 8 bit. If you don't like dirty beats, it might not be for you.

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/track/k-o-beat

https://sharris.bandcamp.com/track/haha

Not tryin to push my beats, they're just K.O. beats, but a good example of sound quality & what you can get out of it.

Oh & when linking sequences & playin in live, you have to careful, if you're hitting the sample just a little late or a little too soon it'll enter the hit in the sequence next to it...... hopefully that makes sense.

Any other questions just ask :) I love the K.O., but I love limited gear.....only thing I don't like about it is the low volume (which can make you want to turn it up, which distorts the audio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:24 pm 

Headphones wrote:
Found one with the rubber case for $70

Headphones was speaking about the PO32. The problem with the genuine plastic case is that you have to break the upper part of the board to fit the PO in. The one that helps hook it up and where the label "cheap monday" was appearing for the 20 series. I wanted to keep it a collector item so I found these by 3dwaves. I tweeted about it

All of the bottom parts are black on the photo but they are customisable also

Reverb store
3dwaves website
3dwaves Instagram

Strictly made for #PocketOperators by #TeenageEngineering. The 3 parts of the case is colour customizable. See the list @ (link: https://reverb.com/item/10712858-3dwave ... o-33-po-32) reverb.com/item/10712858-… Check for other products @ (link: http://3dwaves.net) 3dwaves.net or (link: https://www.instagram.com/3dwaves) instagram.com/3dwaves Keep yours a collector's item.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next