It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:14 pm

Post subject: Use a table or a stand or what?
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:36 pm 

What do you use as a stand for your equipment? I've got drum machines and samplers and my turntables and they're a mess. I'd like something more sensible than my old dining room table and the space on top of my amp. Maybe something with two levels.

I was thinking of using a keyboard stand with a narrow platform on top.

Any prudent ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:50 am 

I once saw a video on YouTube were a guy used a snare drum stand to hold his padKONTROL.

EDIT: I normally use a desk and a small folding sewing machine table. My desk has small pull-out boards that I can use as extensions of the surface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:57 pm 

yeah, i've been wondering about this too.

what do people usually use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:43 pm 

I need something long and narrow to hold multiple units.

Like welding 6 music stands together...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:26 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

The best thing probably is something custom made, which doesn't have to be expensive at all. I don't know if you're any good with making things out of wood, but I'm thinking of building a few stands myself.

The alternative would be a laptop stand or keyboard stand. Those come in all sorts of sizes and shapes, some are definitely capable of serving as a nice SP stand.

I haven't looked into either option too much yet though, as my desk is sufficient for the time being, so I can't give you any brand names or suggest products that would be capable for sure. There are multi-level keyboard stands out there that also have space reserved to hold a laptop, you might want to check those out, but they are a bit pricey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:28 pm 

Ideally I'd want one of those corner-shaped desks, or even U-shaped so i could just swivel my chair around to different bits of gear

At the moment I have a normal desk, but the back half of it is raised up a little - just enough for me to put my laptop on the back part, and have a keyboard in front of it

Also on the back part are my speakers

on the front part, to either side of my keyboard, are my padkontrol and my bcr2000

the SP used to live right next to the laptop :(

Sub and amp live under the table

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:44 am 

I use an 8 foot folding table that I bought at staples for 40 bucks. It has plenty of surface area for all of my boxes and stereo equipment. I keep the keyboard on a folding stand that I can slide underneath the table when I am not using it.

I also built a hutch for the table to elevate my speakers and computer monitor.

Custom made is the way to go - like Phemox said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:44 pm 

i have a homemade flight case made out of a portable file cabinet thing from office max. i put foam padding in it so my baby dont get banged up. its the perfect size. i set the case on top of my keyboard stand and set the 404 on top of the case, good to go. quick setup + transportation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:26 am 

Quote:
I once saw a video on YouTube were a guy used a snare drum stand to hold his padKONTROL.

Yeah.. I use a snare stand also for my PK :D

I've have seen some interesting things.. I've seen people attach clips to the back of their drum machines (thru velcro) and they clip it onto a metal or wood bar.. people just build racks for them.. I've done that and it doesn't look pretty.. but you go to a music store buy rack rails and get some wood and measure correctly and glue the wood to teh sides of your Drum machines and attach the rack rails using small screws so it penatrates the wood and not your drum machine.. and there you go. oh yeah don't forget to paint your wood blocks..

Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:48 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

at home i have a large plank of 3/4 inch wood on top of a couple of saw horses. sturdy, works for studio stuff. for different heights, i use the stands that peeps use for laptops.

however, i carry the sp and looper (and some random stuff) in a little suitcase. for practice spot and live playing (ie: not recording) i set up a keyboard stand, and then put the suitcase on top. small surface, but its solid and the right height. store extra stuff in the case. plus, you know, it loox awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:44 pm 

I've seen people use some kind of laptop stand that had side-bars that you could change so it will fit just about any size machine. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm about to order a MV-8800 and would love to have a nice stand for it, as it's a bit too heavy to also be placed on my desk with all the other stuff that's already up there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:49 pm 

Quote:
I've seen people use some kind of laptop stand that had side-bars that you could change so it will fit just about any size machine. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I kinda know what your talking about.. I can check some sites that have unqie studio equipment and get back to you.. however

Quote:
I'm about to order a MV-8800

How much is those nowadays?

Music is a moral law,
it gives wings to the mind,
a soul to the universe,
flight to the imagination,
a charm to sadness,
a life to everything,
Plato 400 B.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:51 pm 

Yeah, man I would definitely appreciate it if you join the search for a good stand. It looks like Roland doesn't sell the old stands anymore that were perfect fit, or perhaps I'm mixing up brands now.

As for the MV-8800, it's normally around 2000€ here. Exchange currencies have been wild lately though... so that's about 3100$ in dollars. Crazy sht.

My local store here made me an offer I can't resist though. I always try to get things cheaper than they sell them for and luckily they want to get rid of some stock they have, so I'm not paying that for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:32 pm 

ive used all kinds of things over the years. I got my EPS on a keyboard stand, my 555, 404, mixer and monitors on a corner computer desk and my turntables on an old computer desk with the top cabinet type part removed. Works pretty good for me. I saw somewhere once these tables that looked great but I cant remember for the life of me where I saw them. They where about 6 feet wide and only about 18-20 inches deep and they where collapsable ! I must find where I saw those...maybe office max or something.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:16 am 

I got one of these ( http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none ) to the right of a corner desk from IKEA... the adjustable height shelves are key. I keep my turntable/mixer on the waist-height rack... a cassette deck and some tapes on the shelve down from it... and then some crates of vinyl on the bottom shelf... and a stereo and speakers on top, but hopefully one day they will turn into some official monitors.

SP on the desk... or in the living room... once I got my raw samples recorded I like to post up on the couch for the chopping and sequencing.

Then I got a little end table to the left of the desk where my 8 trk resides.

Still a bit cluttered if I don't keep it clean, but the best setup I've found so far.