It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:49 pm

Post subject: Amp to use with SP-404
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:17 pm 

I'm running an SP-404 and Alesis Micron into a Behringer Mixer. I'm looking for an amp to run the mixer into so I can perform live. I also am using a looping device with a guitar. I'm assuming that I should get a guitar amp AND a keyboard amp (for the mixer), however keyboard amps seem to be quite a bit more expensive. Can I just run these into a guitar amp? Any recommendations for amps.

Post subject: amp
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:46 am 

If you wanna do it right you gotta spend some $$ & get a keyboard amp- the git amp will not be nice for that set- you could get away with putting the git through the key amp via mixer- not the other way around (404 & sp would sound like crap)
OR use a separate amp & some club speakers- that'd costa ya more-

If you doing live stuff though you don't want to be cheap- especially if people are paying to be at the venue. (You could also only play at spots that had an existing good sound system to plug into- tougher)

A good sound system can make the difference between you being seen as a 'genius' or a 'wanker'- I'm sure you are the former- you want a good system to show your goodness.

Real Talk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:14 pm 

yeah definitely don't do a guitar amp. the sub-bass program on the micron would totally destroy a guitar amp in a second i bet. guitar amps are mid-range oriented. bass amps are low-range oriented. and keys cover everything so get a keyboard amp or a PA system.

I have a JBL Eon G2 15 and LOVE it for the micron. A little pricey but find one used if you can. And in general a 15" speaker will be better for lows so keep that in mind when looking at key amps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:33 pm 

Try the Peavey KB series. They aren't too expensive, they have multiple inputs, and you can plug anything into them. I have a KB4, which has a 15" speaker and three inputs, including XLR ins and outs. It's beefy enough that I play bass live using that amp with a pedal pre-amp. At home I use it for -everything-. Without a mixer I have my turntable, drum machines, and synths running through it. It's also great as a PA with microphone or CD player. It is louder than anything you will ever need it for and you can get it for $400.

Obviously, I like it.