It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:45 pm

Post subject: Mixer for 2X SP's
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:02 am 

I'm reasonably competent with my 303 and recently acquired a 404SX that I'm just starting out with. I'm looking for recommendations / advice for an ULTRA budget mixer to experiment with (I already have a decent Tascam mixing board in storage that I'll eventually be using, so this is just a temporary measure).

Space is currently a major issue where I'm staying, so I need something compact, and with a headphone jack (I won't be using speakers). Apart from those two things, I have no other major requirements - I just want the most bang for buck, and of course best possible sound quality.

When I bought the 404SX I thought it would be as simple as running the ins/outs of each SP into the other, but I don't like the resulting sound, because you can't have two independent effects - everything bleeds into one. Hence the reason for wanting a mixer. Has anyone had any luck with running two SP's in and out of each other and blending 2X effects? (or can point me in the direction of any threads discussing this technique)?

Any advice appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Mixer for 2X SP's
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:21 pm 

I don't understand why you'd have the ins + outs running in a full cycle .. it would create feedback ..

all you need to do is record for example

303(with effect on) into 404 ( with other effect on incoming signal)

then obvcourse if you're bouncing back and forth just remove the output cable of the receiving device to prevent the sound feedback

.. its as simple as pulling the cable out the back of the sp then plugging it back in to send output

Live life . Love life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:33 pm 

http://i.picresize.com/Rva

^

Live life . Love life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:21 am 

Hey thanks for your response and the tip.

I guess what I'm wanting to do is run the two devices independently and then combine the outputs into one signal with the mixer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:48 am 

Something like this would do the trick with room to add more audio devices if you want. Doesn't get much cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-RockStar-3 ... B0017PG8KS

It can take one audio source and split to 5 outputs OR what you want to do is plug multiple input sources to go to one output. The youtube link shows how you would use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMF2eZz8v7M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:13 am 

That Belkin is cool. I have found issues at times with combining/splitting signals though so I got one of these tiny Behringer 302USB mixers. Very handy and also works as an interface to computer if you need it to.

It does come with a power supply. You can power it from any USB wall charger just about and if you lose the cable you can use any USB cable from a printer etc. I have some USB chargers for Blackberry and an old M-Audio recorder and they both power the mixer just fine. It is built well and sounds great. There can be some noise when using it as a USB audio interface with a computer.

I had a thread that was related that might help as well:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16056&hilit=302usb

C

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:57 am 

Thats a great lil mixer and I almost was going to get one when I realized that digital multitracks were going waaaay cheap used.

So here is my current set up

sp808 /sp606 (the 808 is sampling the 606, the 606 is sampling the pc) both are running into a Korg d16(my friend has loaned this out to me) this in turn goes to the pc and then out to monitors.

Whats kool about getting a used digital recorder is most have dual fx processors. The d16 has 11 seperate fx processors. 8 fx's on 8 inputs 2 on the send/returns and one on the master out.

My buddy picked this up at a pawnshop for $50 it didn't have a power adapter so that ran him another $50, it works perfect and was missing 3 fader caps, so he got a sweet deal. And I have seen tons of sweet deals on recorders, I am also looking at the Roland vs1680 and the vs880, they look good too however I don't know if each channel has a separate fx like the Korg D16.

I just got the Korg today so I have to fabricate a stand that attaches to my studio desk so that I can use it ergonomically which I will have done tomorrow and I will report on the Korg D16 in the next few days. I really just want to use it as a mixer but has recording ability if I so desire.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:41 am 

That D16 is a REALLY good box for being that old- uncompressed 8 track at once recording 16/44.1 and 4 track rec at 24bit and it has 8 analog i/o etc?? pretty sick. No XLR or preamps though.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb00/a ... orgd16.htm

The 1680 and 880 Rolands use compression and it is lossy. I would avoid those myself.

I have considered the newer tiny recorders and just a small mixer at times to stay out of the computer like the tiny Tascam and Roland multitrackers but you just don't get the analog i/o etc-
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?r ... 2941120011

Anyway- for the OP as you can see there are many machines that can combine multiple inputs and mix them together into a stereo output. So many choices!

:)

C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:41 am 

hey, thanks for the responses all!

I'm thinking of spending a bit more and the Behringer 302USB mixer mentioned looks alright. Which inputs would I be using for the 303 and 404? I'm assuming the 'Line' and '2 Track' inputs? If so, is there a difference between the two (i.e. will sound quality be equivalent on both?)

Also, I've found a used Mackie 402VLZ4 I can get for reasonably cheap, would it be suitable for my purpose? >

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:56 am 

OK, YET another question (sorry!)... I'm currently using a cheapo Behringer U-Control UCA222 as an audio interface, I was just planning on outputting the mixer to this to record to my PC.

However, I was thinking it might be worthwhile to kill two birds with one stone and get a better quality interface with 2 channels; that way I can also have each SP channel (303 & 404sx) running on its own track in my DAW* (*that's possible right?!)

I've also seen a M-Audio M-Track for quite cheap, which appears to have 2 stereo line in channels... But I've heard negative things about M-Audio stuff

I've heard good things about the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but I'm wondering would I be able to hook 2 SP's into it (with each channel stereo), or would its 2 inputs only combine to make 1 stereo channel? >

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:09 pm 

I ordered a mixer this weekend, might aswell as share my thoughts.

There are these new mixers with USB port which act as a normal mixer BUT can also digitalize signal through USB to the computer.

Behringer has some models but from the Behringer mixers I've worked with, I'd really advise against. Its incredible how much white noise those things pack!

I ordered this one: http://alesis.com/multimix8usbfx

But it's 8 tracks, if you only really need two, there are smaller versions with fewer tracks. There are similar models from other brands like Peavey, Mackie and Soundcraft I think. Just look for USB Mixers.

Keep in mind these mixers also hook up to the PC so you can record whatever you're doing, which I think is something useful for your setup.

Also keep in mind that the Behringer USB mixers go for like 50 or 60€ for the two channel ones, so if it's something you look for expanding in the future, you might aswell buy a cheap ass one and then upgrade as you learn and need.