It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

Post subject: Alesis Micron
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:37 pm 

I've really enjoyed reading up on the 404 on this site...however, I just bought an alesis micron and would like to know if folks have any feedback on this instrument. So far, I'm really impressed, and did a lot of shopping around in that price range...just curious if any of you producers out there have had experience with this synth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:41 am 
303 Award Winner '09

I don't have one but I know they are very powerful little synths, I've also heard it's a bitch to program. I think in that range my favorite I've used is the microkorg its Dillalicious.

Post subject: micron
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:00 am 

[quote="DR.Sample303"]I don't have one but I know they are very powerful little synths, I've also heard it's a bitch to program. I think in that range my favorite I've used is the microkorg its Dillalicious.[/quote]

Yeah, it seems a bit ahead of itself in the programming realm. However, the sounds are way tight and I pretty much use it as a "keyboard" with my band...I know, I'm sure I could emulate synths with my laptop, but it's editing functions aren't really that difficult regarding processing sounds...patterns are a little tricky, BUT, in reading the manual, page for page, and doing the "excercises", I've found it becomes easier.

...and that's what happens when you read. it's crazy as hell.

Post subject: Re: micron
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:50 am 
303 Award Winner '09

georgesbrazil wrote:
BUT, in reading the manual, page for page, and doing the "excercises", I've found it becomes easier.

...and that's what happens when you read. it's crazy as hell.

Now if everyone understood this life would be so much easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:29 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

i don't have one, but i have a buddy who does and he worx in a similar style to me. his micron sounds great.

also, the guy from Styrofoam and one of the guys that tours with Sybarite use them, and the basslines they generate are totally awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:02 pm 
Awesome Member

i think on one of the other synth threads someone said they were both ill, but the micron was geared more to electronic sounds and the microkorg was better for hip hop, but that's just one perspective and i'm sure i'd love to have either. i'd prolly buy the korg first though...

Post subject: micron
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:54 pm 

Yeah...I like it an awful lot.

I play with a band and typically go for shoddier, more vintage keyboards(yamaha PSS series ESPECIALLY!) but it finally came time to beef matters up a bit.

This is our myspace page:
http://myspace.com/blackcongonc

Think..."afro-kraut" or "ghost punk".

The the song Persimmon Valley was backed up by the Yamaha PSS-680 and an MC-303 for the first part of the song. The drum fills and second part are all PSS-680, which is a mid80's "digital FM synth". The only issue I've ever found off-putting was the poor sound quality(which can occasionally be endearing, but...).

BTW...

This forum is the shiznit, and by that, I mean it's the shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:01 am 
Awesome Member

i'll have to check that out as soon as i'm on a box with sound. but yeah, this is by far the best forum i've ever stumbled across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:36 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Wes and Tallulah is a really good song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:47 am 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

iG9 wrote:
i think on one of the other synth threads someone said they were both ill, but the micron was geared more to electronic sounds and the microkorg was better for hip hop, but that's just one perspective and i'm sure i'd love to have either. i'd prolly buy the korg first though...

My roomy has a Alesis Micron and I think both are great (got the MicroKorg myself), but they aren't quite the same thing... at least they definitely would complement eachother if you'd buy both.

The microKorg has better hip-hop style presets, but if you get into editing the presets it's possible to get even iller sounds out of it, especially for trance and so on there's more in the box than the presets show.

Basically the same goes for the Alesis Micron, but it's 'hiphop-style' presets are not great.

Programming/editing on both synths takes a bit practice, but ultimately it isn't difficult.

The only thing I'm not very happy with so far although I haven't checked it out that much yet is the vocoder on the microKorg, if you want a really good one without spending a fortune go for the slightly more expensive Korg R3 instead of the microKorg.

Post subject: Re: Alesis Micron
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 am 

I’m getting an Akai Miniak that has the exact same synth engine as the Alesis Micron. (I think that’s because one company bought the other, and sort of made them twin synths).

Attachments:
981FE578-A9A8-45A1-B4DC-0A4BD9376243.jpeg
981FE578-A9A8-45A1-B4DC-0A4BD9376243.jpeg [ 302.83 KiB | Viewed 10367 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:33 am 

Just picked this up. Now to plug it in to my SP404, and see what kinda sounds this puppy makes!

Attachments:
6CA100CB-3048-4F46-BA7D-209E9BC58D37.jpeg
6CA100CB-3048-4F46-BA7D-209E9BC58D37.jpeg [ 2.6 MiB | Viewed 10312 times ]
6681AF1C-8E24-434A-9EC3-F24146B975E2.jpeg
6681AF1C-8E24-434A-9EC3-F24146B975E2.jpeg [ 3.7 MiB | Viewed 10312 times ]
6872A5E5-1B24-4D96-94BA-BEB586DA0295.jpeg
6872A5E5-1B24-4D96-94BA-BEB586DA0295.jpeg [ 2.55 MiB | Viewed 10312 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:28 am 

First impressions of it. Sounds great. Nice pads, sharp leads, deep bass, and even has drum patterns you can play at whatever speed you require. But having only a tiny LCD screen, no USB port for PC/Mac editing, means you spend time menu diving, and it’s a rather horrible user interface. But for $126 I can’t complain too much.

But I’m sure my 404 can sample some kicks, snares, hi hats & toms from this and my other drum machines. It’s even got audio in, but not too sure how to utilize that feature. I thought I was helping a friend yesterday, but she seems to be busy. So I’ll go to the library and print up the manuals for both units.

Would I recommend this as a synth? Ummm, depends if you can live with it’s limitations. There’s tons of sounds, but not enough buttons to help you find what you’re after. The rotary dial works fine for mine, but if your Micron or Miniak doesn’t, this synth will be a real pain. I don’t have the gooseneck microphone to try out the vocoder, but I’m sure it sounds good. (No clue if the Micron has a Mic input tbh). I paid $126+tax for this, which is why I picked it up. You might want a VA synth with more knobs, and I feel that’s the compromise that was made on these 2 models. If you don’t enjoy the limited screen space or the lack of knobs, just save up for the Alesis Ion.