It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:02 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:20 am 

Quote:
All dance tracks are released on vinyl, of course

Actually that mightve been true 3 years ago but these days more and more labels are stopping vinyl releases altogether.

Not sure about with other styles. but with dance music definitely. . nobody young and getting into it buys a pair of turntables anymore, they go straight for the CDJs or laptop so they can download their tracks for nothing.

Me, I'm a collector .. I like hving a big vinyl thing that can't be copied, but I dont realy mix or buy much anymore, more interested in live performance of tracks rather than playing other peoples songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:32 am 

Central Station and Vinyl Warning have a pretty large stock...updated daily... so maybe not all tracks are getting vinyl release but surely most still are. In melbourne, a lot of aspiring DJs are still getting into vinyl. You can get set up with two Direct-Drive tables and a mixer for +/- $1000, whereas the CDJ setup is closer to $3000. At $18 per record, that's a lotta extra vinyl!! That's just my observation though - I could be wrong ... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:54 am 
303 Award Winner '09

CDJ's are definitely a legit creative music tool with a lot of flexibility so I see them as a viable option when you play in a live setting where carrying a lot of vinyl can suck. Like 606man said you can also burn your tracks that make and spin them at the club that night. If your a music collector than you'll like having a lot of stuff in wax but it can be a hassle carrying it everywhere if you make your living on doing shows. In my mind vinyl is better suited these days for producing since you can store at your house where the high quality will be heard by someone who appreciates it, and cd's and mp3's are perfect for clubs when people are faded and just want to groove.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:18 pm 
Awesome Member

if i got a dj player i'd go with this one:
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i- ... 0-PAK.html

i don't really care about what the clubs have cause i'm not a club dj, and if i start gigging i'll bring my own ish and be on stage not in the booth, but i see your point. honestly i'd enjoy having one but i have been a vinyl fiend since i bought my table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:15 pm 

Check out this thing:

haha, I shit my pants when I saw that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:45 pm 

:shock: That thing looks crazy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:14 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Nothing too crazy, they just housed all their equipment in a custom piano case like a huge DJ coffin. I've seen people who've made their own Meko's buy putting a korg padkontrol in a custom box with a triton and a computer running a bunch of programs. This is much more elegant though for live performances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:52 am 

i thought cdjs were lame until i saw that piano thing. haha.

i dj alot of 70s/80s rock so its "easy" to find vinyl and if you dj rock without vinyl i still think its lame

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:07 pm 

DR.Sample303 wrote:
Nothing too crazy, they just housed all their equipment in a custom piano case like a huge DJ coffin. I've seen people who've made their own Meko's buy putting a korg padkontrol in a custom box with a triton and a computer running a bunch of programs. This is much more elegant though for live performances.

I agree, but there's also video equipment in there to control a projector/TV screen or some shit while you preform (hence the three TVs mounted in it). You're right, they just took exsisting equipment and three it into a piano case, but it's for audio and video.

haha, that "homemade" Meko sounds way doper than the real one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:44 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

It is, fuck waiting for slow ass companies to give us what we want. Besides if you design your own machine you can patent and sell the design to a larger corporation with production capacity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:41 pm 

dman5000 wrote:

i dj alot of 70s/80s rock so its "easy" to find vinyl and if you dj rock without vinyl i still think its lame

Rock is lame haha j/k.

You know - using a CDJ is still awesome with rock - I've seen it done in Melbs.... See, the rock crowd always think they know the track inside-out. It's funny as seeing the crowds reaction when they hear a 'new' mix of a classic 70's track!! CDJFTW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:00 pm 

I have used the newest serato scratch live with the rane TTM 57SL, and all i have to say is holy shit!! Fuckin' awesome to work with. So easy to scratch because you can see the waveform of the sample your scratching. Also, it's unbelievably easy to have your own tracks on vinyl. You could your SP beat running through one channel, then scratch over it or just do some mixing. Extremely bad ass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:50 am 

606man wrote:
dman5000 wrote:

Rock is lame haha j/k.

You know - using a CDJ is still awesome with rock - I've seen it done in Melbs.... See, the rock crowd always think they know the track inside-out. It's funny as seeing the crowds reaction when they hear a 'new' mix of a classic 70's track!! CDJFTW

that is true i was thinking of using the 404 in some way like that but i havent tried it out with any records yet