It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:48 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:44 pm 
MV Award Winner '09

Ok, so how you arrange you samples, instruments and projects ? Do you use/create a new project for each beat or do you use all 16 then move onto next project. Basically I want to know something about how to arrange data on MV. Because from what I found it is slow on working with files like loading, importing, exporting and such. So I would know from start how to arrange my data to prevent frustration later when I would need to do lots of house keeping work on MV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:45 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

I understand your concern and you're right it can be slow at times. But it's mostly only slow when saving your entire projects. Coming from an SP-505 or 606 it will feel like a fast machine. ;)

A bit off topic as it has no direct influence on the speed for the most part, but I'm not sure if you're copping one with 512mb ram installed already, but if you can I would totally upgrade as fast as possible to 512mb ram. 128mb isn't that much and 512mb feels like it's unlimited. :P

Anyways, your question... Yeah, it's useful to take good care of where you store what so you can easily find it later on.

When it comes to instrument patches (bass, samples,keys, horns, FX etc.), you will want to create new folders with proper names so you can easily find them again later. I usually create new directories (on the hard drive) for new projects when I'm going to import lots of samples and eventually store those as an instrument patch.

At first I tried to use the directories that are already there, but it makes things scattered all over the place which I didn't like. (After all if you need to preview something, it'll cost a split-second... if you already know it can only be in one directory, it'll save time. :) ) That's when it comes to the samples themselves.

When making a beat, I usually create a new project for each beat, but switching to the next Song in your project is actually faster than loading a new project - in other words I'm perhaps not using the fastest method. Needless to say a bigger project will need more time to load when you first open it though.

Until now I usually use Song Mode a lot and make a single beat in one project. But that's mostly because I'm into a lot of different styles.

There are definitely projects with samples in it that I re-use and in that case starting a new Song in the same Project is a great idea. There's plenty of space anyways, regardless of whether you use Pattern mode or Song mode.

You know, basically this is just a matter of choice, because unless your project is going to become really huge or packed with Audio tracks and lots of raw samples (I mean samples that are chopped in a non-destructive way, meaning there's the entire sample on each pad but with different start and end points -> that'll make things slower than necessary), you won't easily run into really severe loading issues.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:05 pm 
MV Award Winner '09

Ok, I see. Looks like I am going to create a MUSIC folder on my HDD and store there my beats in a separate folder which will include all samples, instruments, audio tracks with vocals, etc. I use the same method on my MPC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:09 pm 

You'll figure things out, judging by how you were able to master the 505. :)

Not sure if you've found this already, but this explains lots about the HDD:
http://rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/Downloa ... 00WS10.pdf

Quote:
I managed to create a recording booth for vocals

Hey man, this reminds me, do you got any tips? I want to make a vocal booth for in my new crib as well, did you make some kind of 'sound proof' box for vocals?

Ah, by the way, something people often forget is checking out the 'Screen Guide' and also the 'Appendices', there's sort of 3 manuals with the MV8800. Especially the 'Screen Guide' comes in handy explaining everything visual going on and the 'Appendices' manual explains for example all the FX in great detail and what you can tweak.

I don't think you can download those though.

www.myspace.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:06 pm 
MV Award Winner '09

PHeMoX wrote:
You'll figure things out, judging by how you were able to master the 505. :)

Most probably,... as I said I learn fast, besides I know tose manuals from A to Z and I'm all set.

PHeMoX wrote:
Not sure if you've found this already, but this explains lots about the HDD:
http://rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/Downloa ... 00WS10.pdf

Yeah I saw these before on Roland UK site, they have bigger and better collection of manuals.

PHeMoX wrote:
Quote:
I managed to create a recording booth for vocals

Hey man, this reminds me, do you got any tips? I want to make a vocal booth for in my new crib as well, did you make some kind of 'sound proof' box for vocals?

Basically it was first time ever I had to do such thing so I created a room from drywall, I cant tell the correct sizes and yours will probably vary. I calculated the size of the room so that it fits nicely behind my door and the wall. So when someone opens the door booth is not instantly visible (besides there was lots of junk before I placed the booth there, so it is a win win situation anyway :) ). I made a window on the longest side of the wall with double transparent plastic layer (around 4mm x2). For sound proofing between the plaster walls (drywall or whatever you call it) I used a thick layer of stone-wool. Did the jizzle so that there is no seams on outside walls (dunno hows the process called in english :D ) and painted it so that it matches my other walls. How you finish it to stop the room inside to reverberate depends on yours wallet size. I used a cheap carpet that perfectly absorbs the sound and in some places used the eggcreate soundproofing. It depends on type, size and other things which material you will need to use for the best effect. Anyways this is how I did it. I also created a very heavy and sturdy doors, but you can also use that blanket style audio proofing material just like curtains instead of the doors (it's available also on eBay and is not that expensive). Maybe not the best studio type booth but it works and records good sound so i'm staying with it.

PHeMoX wrote:
Ah, by the way, something people often forget is checking out the 'Screen Guide' and also the 'Appendices', there's sort of 3 manuals with the MV8800. Especially the 'Screen Guide' comes in handy explaining everything visual going on and the 'Appendices' manual explains for example all the FX in great detail and what you can tweak.

I don't think you can download those though.

Yeah I checked that also. I just went through this long process of digging through the manuals because I want an all in one machine (I know that you cant have the best of everything in one machine but still) so that I could pack it and leave this place for good. As you probably saw in other thread I am going to study abroad and i don't want to leave all my gear here. So I would just need to get a hard case for my mv and all is set. Later I could just plug in the mic and record wherever and whatever I like. Otherwise I am very satisfied with my current setup and would stayed with it for much longer but life got in the way faster than I thought it would. Nahmsayin ?

Cheers,
Olby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:50 pm 
MV Award Winner '09

hey Phem could I ask you to do me one more favor ? I bought used MV88 so I am like 98% sure that the internal hdd will not contain some of the original data. So maybe you could send me files from yours mv sample/patch/instrument cd or just a copy of the files from the hdd that came with mv of course if you got those files somewhere around. I simply don't want to get an empty machine... I wanted to poke around with original instruments and see how it feels like before I start creating my own and stuff. I would ask on mv-nation coz I saw a couple posts about same thing but as I said earlier I still cant get on there....

...now only I could find a cheap place which can print out the whole set of MV manuals (around 660 pages) so that I can create a bible from it and read before going to sleep 8)

regards,
olby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:01 pm 
Awesome Member

yo olby, this link has some patches available. just go to the downloads tab on that page. its not quite the factory data but at least its a start
http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... jectId=848

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:50 pm 

Yeah, there are two CDs (demo projects & patch data), I will PM you a download link the moment I've got them uploaded somewhere. Peace.

edit: by the way, you could also contact Roland to get the original CDs. They don't seem to really make a big deal about it, sometimes they even send 'em for free. I'll upload anyways.

www.myspace.com/phemox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:38 pm 
MV Award Winner '09

thank you guys. I would contact roland but there isn't one in my country so I guess im outta luck. or I maybe I should contact roland uk ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:42 pm 

It's no problem for me to upload, it's around 50% already on zshare.

But I don't know, for spare parts I ended up getting into contact with Roland Belgium... turned out to be the closest for me, but I had posted a question on the European site specifically for my country.

I guess you could try Roland UK, it's always nice to have the original CDs as well.

edit: Can a moderator move this over to the MV area please?

www.myspace.com/phemox