It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:05 pm

Post subject: SP404+MPC1000 or SP555+QY100
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:58 pm 

I want to get some hardware but I can't decide between getting the 404 and MPC1000 (basically just using the 404 for effects and maybe chopping) or the 555 and yamaha QY100 (doing everything on the 555 except sequencing on the QY) My concerns are primarily ease of use and workflow. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:10 pm 

are you sure you need a sequencer? i had the 404/mpc1000 combo and i ended up selling my mp1k, i just didn't like it. it's a killer but make sure you feel like lovin' it long time, those things will cost ya(in more ways than one).

i got a 404/padkontrol combo with NO sequencer but i am now using a 4track to build beats, it's my style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:21 pm 

nah I aint messin with tape it's too much hassle. I'm gonna dump the beats in Logic and have someone spit over em when they're finished. But yeah, I'm leanin more towards the 404 and 1000. Why didn't you like the 1000?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:43 pm 

first off the newer os'll cost ya. then the new pads, then the ram. actually in retrospect it was a good machine. for me it came down to work style: the sp's and the mpc's have different workstyles.
oh and not tape though, digital record.
my tapes for are summin different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:02 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

I think the MPC1k compared to the work-flow of the SP-404 is pretty slow and cumbersome navigating through all those menus and stuff.

I'm not hating on the MPC1k here, I've messed with it a couple of days ago and it's def not bad gear at all ( although I didn't like the pads though coming from SP-606 and it ain't really my style either (read: what I'm used to suits me fine) ).

On the other hand, it does seem useful to have an SP-404 + MPC1K combo, the SP for quick sampling on the go and it's arsenal of killers effects and the MPC1k for sequencing when you're home in your studio again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:20 pm 

on the 404, while a loop is playing, can you mute/unmute pads?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:59 pm 
404 Award Winner '09 + Beat of the Year '09 + Tape of the Year '09

Nicknw wrote:
on the 404, while a loop is playing, can you mute/unmute pads?

yeah, there is a work around. You can mute with the isolator or subsonic very easy.

I got the 1k and the 404 and I would suggest getting just the 404. They are both good machines but 2 machines for 1 beat is overkill imo. Master one machine at a time.

http://www.myspace.com/juxtkid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:50 pm 

MPC 1k and 404 without a doubt.

as ive said before here the MPCs are known for their workflow but in the simple workflow respect (ie. getting ideas from your head down as fast as possible) the SPs cannot be beaten. ive yet to encounter any hardware or software that matches them in that department. they are simply the best at laying down ideas and sometimes you can lay down entire songs on them.

but the MPC1k is a very powerful machine (esp. with the added JJOS2). the things is seriously dope. it takes some time to get to know it and the workflow is different to the SP but if you take the time to learn the machine then you can get through ideas pretty quick.

SP and MPC combo is ellza dope. route your 404 into the MPC.

i plan on buying the next SP (SP-707??) so my set-up will be 404 into MPC into 707.

things is ellza dope.

to me workflow is worth paying a couple o hundred bucks.