It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:40 pm

Post subject: decent DJ mixer with reliable crossfader?
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:29 pm 

My dodgy DJ mixer's crossfader has finally fucked up to the point it's impossible to cut with it.
viewtopic.php?t=2076

can anyone recommend a decent, affordable DJ mixer with a reliable crossfader? just something to practice scratching with, no bells or whistles...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:41 pm 

I would say if your just looking for a scatch mixer and not the mixer excaliber(TTM56/57) check out ebay for an vestax 05 or 06 pro, maybe, or a rane ttm 52 or 54. I dont know what you wanna spent but I got a new mackie d2 off of ebay for 450. and it works perfect. Ive had it about 2 years and the fader is still smoooove. You can also adjust the tension in the fader.
http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipmen ... 30490.html

The o6 at the above is only 300. Not Too bad. Only thing is Vestax is no longer made in Japan so quality has dropped off a bit, so I hear anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:04 pm 

thanks for the info

those mixers are a little out of my price range :oops: but i guess herein lies the dilemma - if i buy another cheap one, the crossfader will break quickly again...so i guess it IS worth the investment to get a decent mixer

might have to keep struggling with this dodgy crossfader while i save up for a good one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:21 pm 

drewzle; crack it open, blow it out good, clean all the connectors wit some rubbing alcohol and let it dry well. that give you a few more months anyway. my brother bought a cdj that had a dodgy screen, when he pulled it apart he found that one of the connecters was loose, problem fixed. i plan on pullin apart my jx-8p to clean up the after-touch sensors (one of these days). speaking of which, do ever come across DIN cables for those pre midi gears. i got a pg-800 but can't use it, cuz this damn cord that looks just like a midi cable but with one more prong right in the middle :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:09 pm 

^ that's some good advice man. i'd considered opening it up, but wasn't really sure what to do once i was in there
i'll crack it open tomorrow and have a tinker :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:30 pm 

I tried to find an old link to step by step instructions but its been bout 8 years since I been there and I guess the site has dissolved.

After(if you get around to opening it) you clean it with alcohol use a lil gun oil or preferably caiglube to lubricate the fader rails. There are a few items that you can buy that may help too. Dont know if you can find them locally but
this stuff could potentially help.

http://www.turntablelab.com/dj_equipment/42/172/671.html

I've never used THAT stuff but I have used a similar type item from radio shack.

Actually, best thing is prolly just rubbing alc and electronics lube-whatever is cheap and available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:09 pm 

If you want something cheap that will last u a long time check out the Stanton SK-2F. My boy just got one for $60 ! I see em cheap all over the palce and they are not bad at all.

www.myspace.com/djfrantic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:14 am 

Funkyoldcrate wrote:
Actually, best thing is prolly just rubbing alc and electronics lube-whatever is cheap and available.

gotcha, i'll head down to Radio Shack later and see what they've got. good looking out on the info

and thanks for that recommendation Frantic, i'll definitely have check that model out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:20 pm 
Awesome Member

check www.skratchworx.com
pretty good site...

ever thought of a PMC 06 Pro A or B ?
... it's not that much expensive on ebay. (but look out for one with a master cue!!!)
the nice thing tof that 06 pro B is that you can put the new glide-x-crossfader (whatever's the name) into it...

... I go with a gemini umx 5 for more than 5 years now and I never had to change a fader... :D
I had different mixers through the time (HAK 360, PMC 07,TTM56) but at the end I would say it's not the mixer it's you on the cut...
(If had the money I would get back the ttm56 anyway...)

... buying a mixer is prob one of the hardest decisions in life...
Try and try and try before you gonna buy !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:29 am 

The Stanton SA-5. They're priced around $300 US, so you can probably find one cheaper on Ebay or something. It's a great mixer. I've been using mine for years, taking it out to shows in all kinds of sketchy places. It survived a tour along the East Coast with no problems. A little more than 3 years, and I haven't needed to replace anything. Keep it clean.

I prefer it over the higher end mixers, mainly because I look at it as a live instrument. I have no interest in taking $1000+ items with me to places where I'm probably going to drink too much and be way too concerned with talking to girls.

Those high end mixers are nice, though. I find them to be overkill when you play out, and you're rocking through average PA systems.