It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

Post subject: Behringer RD9
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:02 pm 

So my Sweetwater guy called me up, says they’re in stock. I told him I can place my order Friday when I get paid. He said he’ll reserve it for me. I also asked about the SP404 Mk2, but he said those might be February/March. But anyway, I’ve always dreamt of owning a TR909, but a RD9 will do dandy. Got plenty of mono outs for each of the 11 drum hits of the kit. But it’s got swing, flams, and all sorts of things my RD6 can’t do. I’m curious if by syncing them by CV or Midi that the RD6 can follow the RD9’s swing or not. Won’t know until probably around Xmas, but since it’s a mono out, I’m planning on feeding it into my XR20. So I’ve got the best of both worlds.

I’ll review it in a few weeks.

Attachments:
9A6B13AC-87C0-477F-9271-687B9ED73F85.jpeg
9A6B13AC-87C0-477F-9271-687B9ED73F85.jpeg [ 446.62 KiB | Viewed 17038 times ]

Post subject: Re: Behringer RD9
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:46 pm 

Behringer be killing it. Let us know how that sounds, looks like a killer!

Can't wait to see their Linndrum2 clone coming in May. Also, the Jam, which suppose to be Behringer's MKII.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:43 am 

Awww shit, I almost forgot about the LinnDrum clone! Lol. Yeah, I’ll have to figure out when I can order that. Probably when I get my tax return. But as far as the RD9 goes, if it sounds like it can do every house record then I’ll be smiling ear to ear. I just can’t justify spending double on a Roland Boutique TR-09, but some say it doesn’t quite sound like a real 909 anyway! There are 2 other 909 clones, but they’re rare and probably not worth the money.

Would I get a RD8? Hmmmm, maybe if I can get it used for a good deal at a local music shop. But ordering new? Naw. Trap had kinda ruined the 808 for me. Now it’d be handy to have a few of the RD8 sounds, but I’m just gonna call it good for awhile with the RD9.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:33 am 

Just got it home & turned it on. It THUMPS! It is just way more than any sample. To my ears, it’s got every detail right as far as MY ears are concerned. I’ve got tomorrow off, so me, my SP404, and probably my RC505 and probably my TD3 are all gonna have a little jam together. I’m kinda bummed the filter doesn’t work on the headphones. I have NO clue how they can give you a filter, but you can’t access it unless it’s from the mono out. But I guess I can live with some limitations. But hey, that’s all gear.

Should you get one? If you’re into Acid House, House, Techno, Breaks, EDM, definitely. If you are more into Hip Hop or Trap, prefer to sample your kits online or from vinyl, don’t prefer step recording your beats, or don’t have room for a drum machine bigger than a laptop, this might not be your ideal drum machine. It’s analog, so if you’re expecting different sounds internally, this DEFINITELY is not a drum machine you want. Because it’s a clone of the TR909. There’s no other hidden sounds to find. (Unlike the TR8/TR8S).

But it’s a welcome addition to my collection. I’m gonna try to keep it looking mint by washing my hands after coming home from my dirty ass warehouse job. I guess if this drum machine has a competitor in the price range, it would be Arturia’s DrumBrute. But it’s individual outs are mini jacks. The RD9 are 1/4”. However, the DrumBrute isn’t really a clone of a real 808/909, and that’s a post for another day.

Now I just woke up from a long nap. And I’ve got some playing to do!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:32 am 

Headphones wrote:
I’m gonna try to keep it looking mint by washing my hands after coming home from my dirty ass warehouse job.

And after a previous discussion there was me thinking you wore a smart suit and worked in a furniture shop selling furniture!

Nice drum box bro, and I love the fact that Behringer kept the size nice and large, cause that's something the clones generally lack compared to the originals, but not so with the Behringer RD-9 which looks as spacious as the original.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:31 pm 

Not quite. We are a distributor. The furniture comes in every day, gets staged to a location, then goes out for the next days orders or just sits there until a customer wants it sent. But I worked tons of OT to buy this, and it was worth it. Gonna make some loops today.

Yeah, I only encountered a real 909 once. My friend who played guitar one time went to this pawn shop to possibly get guitar lessons from a guy who worked there. I’m looking around and find this weird box from Roland there. This would have been 88 or 89? So I had no clue it was a drum machine, and I had no idea I could have gotten one dirt cheap. Man, if I could have given myself advice from the past, is to buy that thing somehow. But I didn’t really think about gear then like I do now, and sometimes you don’t know what’s trash or treasure.

Yet 30 years later, here’s a replica. Ok, it has new features, lighted pads, and 1 or. 2 sounds can be pitched differently than the original, but you can set it to just set it to original mode.

I might now want a RD8 now. Just to get those sounds. Even though I hate Trap beats. Well there’s more to learn. The manual is crap. Doesn’t explain very well how to do certain stuff. If this WAS a Roland drum machine, at least THEY would have taken the time to not rush a manual. But would have charged me & everyone else more! Lol.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:09 pm 

All sounds very nice, but I hope you have plenty of spare mixer inputs if you plan to process the sounds individually. Also, I recall hearing those built-in effect features of the RD-9 don't work on the individual outs, that you need to make a headphone out to mxer connection for that, so it's weird you say it doesn't work on headphones.

That said, I don't have one so it sounds as if I have that totally the wrong way around :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:41 pm 

Been experimenting more with this. Remember when I couldn’t figure out the filter earlier? It does work. You have to turn on the wave designer button and select low pass or high pass next to the on button. Der.

Then the note repeats. This is super fun if you want to make your drum loop feel like you’re making the pressure build and you can let it go when you’re ready and the beat goes on.

The probability function I’m still trying to figure out. It can be done, but it just is something I’ve going to learn WHERE it’s effective and where it doesn’t matter because it’s not going to probability the drum sound if it’s not even programmed in the pattern. (Hope I’m making sense here to you all).

Some things I need to figure out more are the 3 trigger outs in the back. Not sure if it’s for triggering other synths or drum machines, so best I can hope for is to research that a bit & then try it.

Not much else to report. It’s a different drum machine than I’m used to. Having no screen but somehow you have to remember where features are hidden & how you get into it. So it’s almost primitive menu diving. Behringer has just GOT to make a better manual. But I said that already.

Other than that, I don’t regret getting this home. Just need to make the space for it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:50 pm 

Makes sense to me homie, but since you're new to the CV stuff on the back you should be very careful not to mix-up your cables or you could easily kill your equipment and it's easy done when they all look the same!

I hear you on the manual situation, it's not just Behringer though, documentation has been going downhill in general since the popularisation of PDF. I remember when Korg for example used to distribute not one, but three printed user manuals with a new synthesizer. Now you get a shitty booklet directing you to an online PDF.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:32 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Isn't the CV stuff signal only, but not anything powered? How could it destroy your equipment? Genuine question. I mean, are you talking about some sort of feedback loop?

As for these brands getting their clones out based on the original classics.... I don't know guys, maybe I'm getting old but I have yet to encounter a clone that sounds and feels like whatever it was based on. I don't know if any of you have ever compared a real 303 to a Behringer clone, but they are lightyears apart. It's why people should really keep their old gear, think SP-202 and SP-303, MPC-60 and so on. You won't get that sound out of any clones or emulations or sound engine modelling.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:34 pm 

PHeMoX wrote:
Isn't the CV stuff signal only, but not anything powered? How could it destroy your equipment? Genuine question. I mean, are you talking about some sort of feedback loop?

The levels are not the same, and depending on the equipment in question, CV (Control Voltage) can be way higher than some audio equipment can handle at its input. But what generally determines whether you'll accidentally blow your equipment is the design of the gear being used, whether they designed a buffer into it to prevent accidental damage to connected equipment.

An example of death by CV can be found is this thread:
https://musicthing.blogspot.com/2007/12 ... -your.html

Here's a copy/paste of the relevant post:

"I had one of these for my 18th birthday, along with a Yamaha DD10 "drum" machine and VSS200 sampler that I got from the Littlewoods catalog shortly before, I then added a 303 and 606 and started making acid house, fond memories. I actually still have some tapes I made with it and they don't sound too bad. Sadly my Studio100 died when my friend plugged the CV out of his SH-101 into it. Like all Amstrad stuff it was poorly built but the echo was quite good and the recordings were on par with other 4tracks of the day."

I don't recommend plugging CV out of any variety into an audio input unless you absolutely know the spec of both units and their tolerances. The Volca Modular is a perfect example of level differences, because you can feed it an audio signal but in order to bring it up to something more suited to modulating the various modules of the modular (CV), you need to make some on-board connections in order to amplify it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:10 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Interesting stuff. I haven't actually dabbled with CV yet, but do have an MPC One that supports it and a Pocket Operator on the way that (should) also work with that.

The way I understood how CV works is ; control voltage determines which note and at which pitch (it'll naturally be a set range because of this), a CV trigger could be used as a pulse for an LFO or beat sync and finally a CV gate could be used to sustain notes.

I always assumed it is analogous to how MIDI works. I mean, there shouldn't be audio involved over CV? I can see how voltage of older gear can be an issue though. It's always a danger. It's why I prefer to hook up most of my gear through a mixer and just sync the old school way (or MIDI clock).

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:15 am 

Good thing Behringer thought ahead on setting up the the sync issues of different devices. For instance, say I want to sync my TD3 to a Korg Volca. Now while most will just use a midi cable to lock the clock, with CV, a Volca uses a different pulse of voltage. So if I didn’t set it up right I could in theory make it a hunk of plastic. So all you do is set up the correct pulse per quarter note. PPQ for short. There’s 1, 2, 24 or 48 to choose from. As long as you’re using the right setup, they’ll not only sync together, but won’t overcharge the voltage to damage or fry the other device you sync.

Normally when we use a midi cable, it’s never something we think about much. But in modular gear, it’s not that simple. Kind of why Midi was created in the first place. Behringer at least included this feature in the TD3/RD6, 8 & 9, and probably the synths as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:20 am 

SP-USER wrote:
Makes sense to me homie, but since you're new to the CV stuff on the back you should be very careful not to mix-up your cables or you could easily kill your equipment and it's easy done when they all look the same!

I hear you on the manual situation, it's not just Behringer though, documentation has been going downhill in general since the popularisation of PDF. I remember when Korg for example used to distribute not one, but three printed user manuals with a new synthesizer. Now you get a shitty booklet directing you to an online PDF.

When you have cv cables of different colors, it’s a non issue. Same with audio cables. Different colors let’s me know what I’m patching. If they were all the same color, it’d get confusing quick! Especially on the Crave!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:20 pm 

PHeMoX, it's all voltage regardless of whether it's a pulse, a gate, or varying over time. Even MIDI involves voltage which is why they fit them with Opto-Isolators.

There's a company or two make miniature FM synthesizers the size of a MIDI plug that takes all of its power from the MIDI out. You basically plug this thing the size of a MIDI plug into your MIDI out and you have an FM synthesizer. You access all the parameters via MIDI, which makes perfect sense of course cause it's plugged right into that.

See Here: https://hpi.zentral.zone/flash

Headphones, good move on the coloured cables, definitely better to have some way to differentiate them. I don't have anything using CV myself, but I would definitely do that if I did. My cables are all black so I'd pick-up some red for CV connections.