It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Good news! aka the Look What I Just Got thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:11 pm 

Well I've decided on the new Sledge but haven't actually bought one yet. I've been looking very carefully into this and cannot see anything bad about it other than I wish the sample memory for giving the Sledge a 'Custom Sample ROM' was a bit bigger.

That said, I only want to drop some nice Harpsichords and Organs in there anyway, that would be my 'Custom ROM' so I could just set it and leave it in there permanently. Thankfully that sort of stuff would fit in there easy enough, especially the organs since organs are remarkably small anyway since the samples for such instruments are naturally small being easily looped.

Like I said though, haven't bought it yet, no point, might as well wait until after getting the SP-404MKII, just in case something else arrives in the meantime, something new from Roland perhaps. Assuming nothing else does though, my decision is made-up on this one, in fact I almost bought it today and had to resist.

Another possibility when looking into the sledge was the Poly D, but I was disappointed with that one after realising how 'Polyphony' was set up. I don't see the point in designing a sound using four oscillators, if that sound cannot be used in "Poly" mode. All it does is take each of the oscillators and use them per note, meaning you really only have a one oscillator synthesizer in that mode. It's real analogue, that's good, but the Sledge obviously sounds very analogue and liquid smoooth, it obviously runs at an insanely high sample rate to do what it does, has three oscillators per voice, and has proper 24-voice polyphony. Add to that the PPG Wavetable system and a 'Custom Sample ROM' and to be fair it's not surprising the Sledge won me over.

It's more expensive than the Poly D, but not by too much, and to top it all off you get a high-quality 61-Key Fatar Aftertouch Keybed. Apparently the company that makes the Sledge, Studiologic, is the same company as Fatar, it's basically the musical instrument division of Fatar.

So it looks as if I'll be buying my first Italian synth, and if she turns out to be as hot as the women I see in those 'Italian Giallo' movies, I think I'm onto a winner 'ere!

She's 'Beauty and Beast' combined, and I must admit, she does look and sound devilish :twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOiKZrhN0h4

Attachments:
DevilSynth.jpg
DevilSynth.jpg [ 76.85 KiB | Viewed 13648 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:28 am 

Good luck! But you shouldn’t be so quick to ditch it if doesn’t live up to your expectations. You my friend go through synths like water when you find they have their short comings. You gotta find something out there that works for you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:06 am 

True, but it's not as if I don't do my best to prevent having to return something. Admittedly, having to return the OPSIX was entirely my failt, I suspected I wouldn't get along with such a ridiculously short keyboard, and I was right, so I should have followed my heart and not my ears. As for the MODX though, man, you would not believe the amount of time I spent trying to figure that one out, but in the end it simply didn't do what it was supposed to do, so there was absolutely nothing I could do about it, it was just a massive waste of time and energy that one!

Turned out to be a blessing in the end though. The 404MKII is bloody perfect cause it means I can look at synths such as the Sledge that I would otherwise not have been interested in. The 404MKII isn't just for trying my hand at Hip-Hop, it's going to be my one and only DAW. The difference being the 404MKII is a hands-on creative DAW, whereas a computer DAW is an infuriating, over-complex and uninspiring box of crap as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be sooooooooo pleased once I have the 404MKII and a nice synth to feed it 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:50 pm 

I got a guitar pedal, and a synth to pay off before I’m ready to save $500 for a mk2. And I need a DJ mixer now, because this one female dj can hook me up with mixing lessons in her DJ Academy. Plus she can get me studio time to record with! I can hook her up with discounted furniture from my job, so I’m right there with ya. Trying to get things set up for 2022 I may find the opportunity to do. I’ve already got boxes & crates full of records, and a new shop just opened up yesterday. Couldn’t buy anything but I asked the owner to hold a stack for me. They had a unopened Prince & The Revolution 12” for Pop Life for $4!! HAD to grab it.

But the 404og & Mk2 can be my Batman & Robin for a DJ setup if you will. Probably let the og just fire off vocal samples, basslines, loops, etc, and have the mk2 be more of the fx processor & possibly even help me cue up the next record I want to spin (by having it sample it while another record is being showcased).

Oh the 404og can use fx when needed too, but the mk2 is like a SP606 on steroids! I wouldn’t be at all surprised if I love the mk2 so much I just end up buying a 2nd! That’s serious gas right there, but being so small, why not? Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I have a RC505! Guess that’ll be BatGirl! Lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:20 pm 

Headphones:
- Regular furniture salesman by day
- Banging DJ by night

Headphones is in da house :mrgreen:

So you got a YouTube channel then or don't you bother with that sort of thing?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:21 pm 

Naw. Too busy. Don’t got a clean room to showcase my studio/bedroom, and no time! Trust me, if I could review gear on YouTube I would.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:45 pm 

Believe it or not, I think I might have changed my mind again :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfCjPOsqsb4

Not sure what the hold-up is with this thing, I mean the beta testing on it ended three bloody months ago now. Regardless, if it really is going to sell for $899 then I'll be going for this instead, and I like that they've stayed true and not included effects on it, perfect for putting through a 404MKII.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:24 pm 

Nice. I’m happy with my TD3/RD6 & Crave, but a clone of a Oberheim ain’t too shabby! I never see those on the used market, so I’m glad Behringer is going to just change that by cloning it. They just announced a DFAM clone for the Crave called The Edge.

https://youtu.be/mJ8t0L8FZrY

It has that Malibu Barbi Pink color thing going, but I don’t care about that. I like it because I can patch it to the Crave & Vice versa, but also have the RD6 sequence it for 16 steps even though it’s a internal 8 step. So that alone is gonna be some fun. Plus they announced a TD3MO awhile back (Which reminds me, I need to pre order that)

https://youtu.be/-hQaOMXS_W8

And that is another 303 clone on steroids. Nothing wrong with the TD3, it sounds like a original, but the MO just gives you more possibilities for changing the sound.

And I want a RD9 as well, but I’ll get a SP 404 mk2 first.

When Behringer’s PPG Wave clone drops, I definitely want to have my cash lined up to order that. The originals had a rather short life span in the synth market. Very buggy & gave Gary Numan a few headaches when he toured with them. But I’m sure Behringer can fix those issues.

And Winter Namm is coming next year, so there’s gonna be more midi/CV synths announced. So 2022 is gonna be interesting!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:02 pm 

Headphones wrote:
but also have the RD6 sequence it for 16 steps even though it’s a internal 8 step. So that alone is gonna be some fun.

wait, the rd6 can send midi notes?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:37 am 

Through midi it should. It has CV clock in/out & midi. But I’d imagine you just set up the proper midi channel and everything should work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:37 pm 

Headphones wrote:
Through midi it should. It has CV clock in/out & midi. But I’d imagine you just set up the proper midi channel and everything should work.

cool, so basically you could use it also as a seq, for that price is not bad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:32 pm 

Think of it like the $200 version clone of the Moog Drummer From Another Mother. But you can’t put it in your Eurorack. But it is Eurorack compatible, and has midi in/through unlike the DFAM.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:08 pm 

Headphones wrote:
It has that Malibu Barbi Pink color thing going, but I don’t care about that.

I love that colour, reminds me of the 80s, and that's no bad thing :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:44 pm 

Bet you can't guess what I just bought (seriously I bet you can't, but have a guess) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:12 pm 

Did you buy…..A SP404 mk2??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next