It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:45 am

Post subject: Is the 808 still what I need/want???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:07 am 

Hey all, I'm a newbie to the forum, but I got the SP-808 right when it came out, and I currently own 3 of them. I've used it for songwriting, sampling, production, etc. But what I love it for the most is live with my band. I love the effects and most of all I love the D-beam live to tweak the effects on samples.
MY PROBLEM: I mount the unit on a large snare drum stand, and I often have to change zip disks in the middle of a set, even the middle of a song. It is also too large for just triggering a couple samples and using the d beam, and the zip disks make file management super inconvenient.
My question is, what other sampler is out there that has a d beam feature that triggers cool effects like delay? And is smaller and uses something better than zip disks?
I actually bought the SP-505 when it came out and I was disappointed. It was smaller and had better media, but the d beam didn't tweak the effects like the 808, and I promptly returned it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Is the 808 still what I need/want???
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:49 pm 

the sp606 got dbeam too but it has just filters/synth/trigger capability, i don't know if the 808 has assign possibilities on its dbeam (like the great mc909 does...)

Post subject: Re: Is the 808 still what I need/want???
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:06 am 

The 808 is great if your rocking the d-beam that way. I dont know of any other "hands waving in the air" fx unit like the 808. The sp55 might be worth some researcxh but im sure it doesnt have the amount of control the 808 has.
You might end up having to get one of those korg kp3's or one of those tiny korg fx things for cheap. Mini-kaossilator or whatever. Get like 2 of those and run multi fx, or different fx per 808 you use.
Have you considered running a sampler with a better media storage device into the 808 and use it as an fx unit. I've used the 808 as a send return box in the past just for the fx on the master. Then you could sample on the fly. Since you said you have more than one, the possibilities are endless.