It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 pm

Post subject: sp 808/808ex production bible
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:32 am 

Hey guys wanted to know if anyone is interested in putting together a production bible for the sp808/808ex were it would really go indepth on how to use the machine and each forum member could add new ways to use the machine from beginner to advance i think this would help alot of ppl out cause i aint seen anything online tutorial wise for the sp808 or 808ex so if anyone is down lets do this for an example of what im talking bout check out the one they got online for the mpc's.

Post subject: Re: sp 808/808ex production bible
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:59 am 

richiedinero wrote:
Hey guys wanted to know if anyone is interested in putting together a production bible for the sp808/808ex were it would really go indepth on how to use the machine and each forum member could add new ways to use the machine from beginner to advance i think this would help alot of ppl out cause i aint seen anything online tutorial wise for the sp808 or 808ex so if anyone is down lets do this for an example of what im talking bout check out the one they got online for the mpc's.

f**k yeah! 8)

Digs From the Yesterday Window EP
out now:
http://gematrium.bandcamp.com/
NOW FREE!
(though donations are very much encouraged and appreciated)

“Art is never finished, only abandoned.” -Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:34 pm 

i can definitely add some tips and secrets i have figured out. I got a few to share! Start a thread specifically for the tips rathert than trying to morph it into this one which will probably get a whole bunch of responses before the tips start filling it up!.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:32 am 

I see you didn't manage to do the bible for the last 3 years :) thete is no youtube video or other free video materials abot the 808 in the net. there was a great youtube multipatrition video les$on some guy has done with the 808ex just a few weeks ago, but it's now gone :(

If you guys still got the spark, do some lessons for the sp lovers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:39 pm 

thats anice idea but my english is very bad but i hope ican help you with that.using sp808 since 8 years and knowing a many about it.

greetings
paranox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:29 pm 

I would really appreciate a video tutorial on boom bap production. i still don't understand how chopping works on this thing. After I eventually figure it out I will make some video's, but until then I hope that someone posts something.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:31 pm 

fresh-produce wrote:
I would really appreciate a video tutorial on boom bap production. i still don't understand how chopping works on this thing. After I eventually figure it out I will make some video's, but until then I hope that someone posts something.

I don't have the SP yet, but i can nearly tell you how to do that:
firstly you need some good samples preferably from soul, jazz, funk compositions, an drums beat break or/and drum machines 1shots + the bass sound.

Record the samples to your SP and assign it to an pad.
For example your sample sounds like ..."ABCD"...
Set the start point (on the beginning of the "A" sound) and the end point (on the the end of the sound "A" , just before sound "B" start) of the sample to trim it (in this pad you will hear only the sound "A" ), then put this sample to the clipboard and copy it to the next pad, then in the copied sample move the start point to the end (now its the "B" start), and the end point move until "C" start (now you chop the sound "B") and so on.
or you can sample each sound separately, trim it and then truncate.
for ex. sample sound "A" to pad 1 - trim it (set start and end point) then truncate (delete sounds before start point and after end point), sample sound "B" to pad 2, trim and truncate and so on.
(Consider that "A" is the kick, "B" the hat and "C" the snare)

Here is the SP video tutorial many things are explain there.
http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/4406185/
Any sampling procedure are the same no mater what instrument you use (hardware or software), you set the start and the end of the sound.
I'm glad that you are interested in making boom bap beats, but i think that it's some thing that you must feel, none tutorial can teach you how to make it, just listen to music (90s hip hop, soul, funk, jazz...) practice in sampling and beatmaking, and after some time you will get some good productions!

Hope it's help... peace and good luck!

p.s: Excuse my English)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:07 pm 

I understand that part. There was no useful information to be found on the internet how to chop samples on the sp 808. I have figured it out now, although I greatly prefer chopping on the 303 and 404. I'm mostly into one shots, and the 808 seems to be designed more for loops.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:09 pm 

Chopping samples with the mark button on the 303 and 404 is my favorite thing about sp's. It's so much faster than editing a wave form, or manually adjusting start and end points. You just listen to the beat, and hit the button, it's the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:16 am 

When your in the sample parameters, you can set up one shots quick with the start and end point, when you hit (enter or whatever button?) on the start point, it plays the sample and you hit a button to set the start, same for the end point. If its a longer process than the 404, its like milliseconds longer. Trade those milliseconds for mute groups, and a thousand effects and your a winner.