It is currently Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:44 am

Post subject: Re: Would this be a possible card reader alternative?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:30 pm 

TGN wrote:
https://shop.tattiebogle.net/product/prod_EkTnv3Tk2Trxhf

A working solution for 200 bucks. You save on micro-sd card with this ide-simulator. Only limitation: you have to save manually one time (shift+exit) before turning off the sp-808.

Can't speak for the original author of the thread, but personally I'm considering just buying an M-AUDIO HAMMER 88 and going back to my old Ableton Live 5 installation until these demeted manufacturers come up with something worthy of my hard to come by cash!

I really liked the SP-808 and would have been very happy with it if it were in the condition it was advertised to be in, and the drive that still has not surfaced, had actually done so. For those reasons, I don't regret returning the SP-808 even though I like it.

Unfortunately, the drive you mention is a bit of a hack in my opinion. For people to be truly happy they need a proper solution, just as the AKAI drive can be considered a proper solution. You were extremely lucky to find one with a proper working drive solution!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:59 pm 

I really think, this is a good alternative to the mpc 2000 xl's compact flash drive. Installation is easy - ok you have to format your micro-sd once with linux (dd), but then you're good to go. The creator of this ide simulator writes about it here: https://issues.tattiebogle.net/dokuwiki ... ulator:uhd

Some users of a sp-user-group on fb tested it already and confirm, that it works!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:06 pm 

Sorry bro, I could have worded that a bit better than I did :lol:

I'm not suggesting the Tattiebogle drive doesn't work (in fact it's cool to hear it does work), but what I meant by "a proper working drive solution" is something more elegant. For me personally, it's just not physically elegant enough and lacks a proper housing, so considering all of that along with the price he's asking for it, I personally would only have gone for that drive solution as an absolute last resort.

To be clear, that's not meant as disrespect for the Tattiebogle guy or his drive, absolutely not. He is in fact a real life-saver and is to be congratulated for producing a drive that actually works. Let's face it, it clearly has at least two other potential drive manufacturers baffled, so the Tattiebogle guy obviously knows his stuff!

Buy yup, the SP-808 was a short but interesting ride for me. And while I don't regret returning it, I still think it's a great bit of kit and I don't regret the time I spent with it.