It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:50 am

Post subject: Exporting songs?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:42 am 

K, so maybe this is a dumb question that's probably already been covered, but I couldnt find it anywhere so here goes.

How in the ***** do you export beats that you make? I currently have all my samples and my patterns set up so that i just have to pads 1-6 in pattern select mode for my entire song to play...but now how do i get that song onto my computer??? The manual didn't have anything on it, (at least not that I could find), and internet doesnt seem to either.

The only way I can think of is to just record what I play into a program like Audacity, but then I would probably lose a bit of sound quality, not to mention I would have to have perfect timing when hitting each next pad, which I dont and would be absolutely ridiculous if I had to just to export a song I made.

Anyhow, I find it pretty crazy that it's so hard to find an answer to this, so hopefully somebody here will know.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Exporting songs?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:00 am 

yeah you gotta record out, gotta make due with what you got for now, but you can record out to tape if you have any sort of boombox that has a line in and can record, and possibly purchase a cheap 4 track off of ebay, or a digital multitrack, or a decent audio interface for your computer, or another sampler or anything that records and has rca ins

as for the timing, i wouldn't sweat it, do the best you can, and if your really unhappy use audacity and cut and copy things where the loop is perfect, like letting a pattern play through more than once so the beginning transistion sounds smooth, and then line that up with the end of the pattern you wanna change from when its making a smooth transition, zoom in and look for the zero crossing, but i really wouldn't sweat the pattern changing, that shit makes it sound raw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:52 pm 

wait, so is it possible to record to audacity by plugging the SP into mic line in?
i tried, but can't seem to find a way, maybe you know of one?

if not, my stepdad has a mixer, would it be probably be possible to record onto the mixer, THEN put it onto the computer and get rid of any bad timing with audacity?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:22 pm 

it is absolutely possible to record straight into audacity, if your running windows, go down to the bottom left of the screen near the clock and click on the little bullhorn looking volume control thing, and make sure the mic in is checked to be on, then open audacity and do sound tests so you know how loud the input should be, probably want stuff to barely peak out for those loud snare snaps and bass kicks or whatever

and i don't know what you mean by recording into a mixer, does it record itself or are you just saying you can run shit through it, then into the mic in, or maybe the mixer has some sort of computer hook up, or someway of exporting audio in a format that allows you to hook it up to a computer and transfer, either way, this is absolutely fine, and if it records stuff itself it might be better so you don't have to sweat the quality of your sound card and audio interface, like with the 404 you can export a pad to wav and then plug the card in and drag it off, so i record out to tape, then back into the 404 and export that pad that has the entire beat on it, plug it in, and drag it onto my desktop, i know you don't have the 404, but if this piece of equipment your steppops has can do something similar i would go that route

and then yes, you can use audacity for wav form editting so you can cut and copy pieces of the beat to your liking