It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 pm

Post subject: Sp-303 issue - Static/crackle when recording into Logic...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:33 pm 

Hello...I recently bought an SP-303 on eBay and am having issues with it...I can't tell if it's faulty or if I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm trying to load samples from my laptop into the 303, then record back into Logic with some of the 303s FX applied. I can get samples onto the pads fine, but when recording back into Logic, they have a really bad crackly/static sound. Sounds like it's been badly bitcrushed, especially melodic stuff.

I've got an RCA-to-quarter-inch lead connecting the 303 to my audio interface. I've also tried recording from the headphone out into the interface with a different cable. I've made sure levels are low so there should be no clipping.

The weird thing is samples sound fine through headphones plugged into the 303, but shitty when arriving into Logic. I bought my interface new about a month ago and am using brand new cables so can't imagine the problem is with them.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Sp-303 issue - Static/crackle when recording into Logic.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:02 pm 

If samples are ok in headphones, it seems the problem is in your soundcard / computer...
Do you have the same issue if you record anything else (not SP303) to your computer?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:09 pm 

I record guitar, bass and a mic through the interface regularly with no problems at all...It's pretty much brand new (Motu M4). This is driving me nuts!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:55 pm 

line level (or headphones level) from sp303 is louder than level from instrument or even mic. Check if gain on your audio sound card isn't set too hot. You can also try to record something from a phone e.g. to check if it causes the same problem.
As I said, if SP303 is OK in the headphones, problem seem to be in your soundcard / computer (or cable).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:23 am 

Awesome, just tried it again and seems to be working fine now.

Weird I'm sure I tried recording with gain way down already but it wasn't working before...anyway, all good now. Thanks for your help!