It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm

Post subject: Finding a buddy for the 303
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 am 

I have no idea if this is the right section to ask this but here it goes:

Of course I'm really fond of the 303 and the only functions that are lacking is decent timestretching (though I sometimes like it's messed up effect) and a decent pitch/tuning..

I have the MPC2000XL which has these decent functions but it's pretty slow and I'm thinking of selling it and buying an unit that does the trick faster.

I was aiming for the Akai S950, I believe it could do that and I like that 12-bit sound and then do the further processing with the SP.. Yet I don't know how quick it is and I don't need that much memory for my samples.. The longest I've taken in once might be 30 seconds or something. And doing the process of stretching and tuning over and over again for different samples is no problem.

So yeah, any other suggestions besides software?

Post subject: Re: Finding a buddy for the 303
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:12 pm 

keep what u have..the 303+2000 can do tons
if time is the issue..
and unless you want to be more specific, the slowest thing i noticed bout the 2000 is the time stretch??
it might be faster in the end to just use the 2000 stretch (which really only takes minutes) than to sell and buy more gear which can take weeks.
assuming that is your problem.

also 303 can get some grit, dont glorify the 12 bit too much
can't lie, i'de like an s950 too but u should be alright with what u got
maybe get a computer program for fast timestretching?
good luck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:05 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

Buy a usb smart media card reader to load samples from your computer to the 303 and just use time stretch in a program. You also get higher fidelity than using the rca inputs. Then all you need is a usb turntable and you can load high quality vinyl wav samples into your 303. Hope that adds something to what was already mentioned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:32 am 

im on 404/2000xl. do most everything in 404 then use 2000xl when I need better sequencing or more pads. Been thinking about saving up for a 2500 again and then selling the 2000xl, but the sp/mpc combo is pretty solid anyway you cut it. Also sometimes I chop on the comp (recycle) then use a program to dump those samples on the card with a pgm file to lay them out, then just load up in MPC and go. Iv got the CF card for the XL which definitely speeds up this process. Have you tried doing everything in SP but using MPC as midi controller? Just some ideas on how to use it differently.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:58 pm 

@DON_GOLDMAN Yeah, mostly resampling and timestretching is the slowest on the 2KXL (dependant on how long your sample is).. And about the grit, and still thanks for mentioning, I'm aware that you can get grit out of the 303.. I just thought the S900/950 sound would be a nice extra. So it's sound is definatly not the main reason I was aiming for it.

And right now I use FL Studio to timestretch and then record it into the 303. But I just want to work with hardware as much as possible. Software + 303 is great and quick though, but I'm pretty much done with looking at a computer screen all the time (except for mastering and maybe mixing). :o

@Euclid I'd rather record it directly from FL Studio -> Audio Interface -> 303, to prevent ejecting the SM card as much as possible. And it works pretty solid so far, so that's not really the problem. I guess it's more the processing time itself that's my problem.

@roygbivs I might give that a shot, even though I'm not really bothered by the SP's way of making tracks. I love the resampling method and really sped up my method of making tracks with the SP. Maybe I'm just too stubborn when it comes to combining gear.. Or I suffer from gearlust.

Though my point is, to be more specific, instead of having a MPC that can sequence even better (though it's not the problem) has functions like chopping, resampling, timestretching, tuning/pitching, MIDI and all that. I'd rather sell the MPC and buy a machine that mainly has a good timestretch and pitch/tuning at a faster pace than the MPC for a cheaper price, which saves me money.

Sorry for the long ass post. Hopefully I'm clearer now with my "needs".. Maybe I just suffer from gearlust (once again). Or just searching for a perfect combo I can stick with. Thanks for y'all input though!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:13 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Okay, I believe I understand now. Maybe check out something like the NI maschine or the maschine Mikro. I have not tried either but they look interesting and relatively well priced for the features. I considered buying a maschine mikro, but I got a 404sx on the way instead. I have software and usb controllers that suffice for a computer set-up that I already own and I genuinely enjoy making music on SP 303/404 samplers the most. Ableton Live 9 would also be a deadly combo with a 303, it's expensive to me but well worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:31 pm 

I'v gotten so used to resampling now that it's hard for me to go back to a sequencer like the MPC. debating on ditching the MPC for a 404SX and doing OG + SX.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:25 pm 

maybe im not understanding but if all you want is good pitch and dirtier sound maybe you could just get a 202 (i got mine for $70) and then you wont have to sell anything

*edit: reread and saw you wanted timestretch. the timestrech sucks on the 202 acutally nvm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:54 am 

roygbivs wrote:
I'v gotten so used to resampling now that it's hard for me to go back to a sequencer like the MPC. debating on ditching the MPC for a 404SX and doing OG + SX.

Same here. It will be OG + 303, SX + 303 or even the 202 + 303 (less likely though).

While thinking about it alot I figured the SP's are just way more fun and quicker to work with. Now I only need to decide whether I want the SX or OG 404...

/research mode on

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:34 pm 

I was actually looking at the SP 555 last night, seems like a nice middle ground. The pattern to sample and live looping caught my eye cus that's how I do most stuff on 404 anyways.

I did start using the MPC more this weekend, here is my kind of setup. Everything goes to mixer and then mixer goes into 404 so I can sample PC/Vinyl/Synth/Etc into the 404. 404 goes into MPC, MPC to PC for recording. I do all my sampling and setup on the 404. Use the quick chopping of using the mark feature to chop my sample and sample each chop into each pad individually on the MPC, same with my drums once I get them how I want them. This way I have very little to do with chopping/layout/mixing on the MPC and use it mostly for sequencing. Here is a little example I did testing this out this weekend just using some rhode sounds and drums I chopped/layered on the SP (http://db.tt/lnV7SSbP).

I have been using the pattern duplicate feature on the MPC to mimic the resample method on the SP. Start with a one bar loop, get basic hats down/kick snare. Copy that to a 2 bar loop, add more drums in, go to a 4 bar loop by duplicating and add my samples in. Duplicate again for a 8 bar and add sample variation. Duplicate again and add in/change stuff around for a nice 16 bar. Same basic principle of how I was doing resampling just using the MPC's bar duplicate feature.

Im gonna give the MPC/SP combo a go for a while and just force myself to use this workflow and see how I like it instead of spending more time trying to get new gear, just need to use the shit I got and figure out a way to get a workflow that vibes with me. Let me know how the dual SP combo goes if you go that route.