It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

Post subject: WAV conversion and using the space better
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:51 pm 

Hi,
I am a member of a theatre group and we're using an SP-303 for sound effects. So just simple stuff like thunder, a phone ringing and such. One problem I cannot solve. Our files are sometimes pretty large. I'd like to convert them one by one hence.

1. I copy a WAV-file to the SmartMedia card, name it SMPL0001.wav.
2. I put the card into the sampler, it shows UAU, assign the sample to say pad 1 and let it be converted.
3. Now the card is almost full. So I put it back into the card-reader, remove the first wav, add the second, name it SMPL0002.wav, let it be converted.

So far so good. But then I had another idea that would let me use the card even better. The size of the SP0 file is always about 1/3 of the original WAV, so my upper limit is 3/4 of card-space. Fine. Suppose I had four files all about 3/4 of card space. Wouldn't work, as after the first conversion, the SP0s take up 1/4. So I thought I'd back up the SMP000nx.SP0s to the computer, convert the next WAV, backup the SP0s and so on. At the end I would copy all SMP000nx.SP0s back to the card and be happy. But alas, only the last sample is assigned to a pad after this procedure. Seems the machine notices that I removed the SP0s from the conversions before and updates its index (SMPINFO0.SP0 I assume, I left that on the card all the time).

Question:
Is there a way to add SP0-files back to pads on bank C and D?
Is there a way to really fill the card with SP0-files when doing WAV-conversion?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Henrik

Post subject: Re: WAV conversion and using the space better
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:48 am 

With a smart media reader you can save in your computer all the file hosted in your card. You just need to do a sort of back up in your pc and load the stuff.
Anyway i found this way REALLY complicated for nothing. why are you using a damn sp instead of a simple software? It's a really waste of time IMHO.

Post subject: Re: WAV conversion and using the space better
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:01 pm 

Meanwhile I found a way to achieve my goal. I cannot just remove the converted files from the card and copy them back later. As soon as the file is gone, the corresponding entry will be deleted from the index at the next conversion run. But I found I just need a file with the name of the SP0-file. So I do copy the result of a conversion back to my computer and replace it by a zero-byte file of the same name. Then I convert the next wav. At the end of that procedure, all placeholders get replaced by the original SP0s and all's fine.

Sure, this is complicated and time-consuming. But we sometimes have people doing continuity and sound-effects at the same time. Some of them I just don't trust with a computer. It is easier if it just says in the prompt-script: press button 1 now, hold it down and release it when you can see that guy on stage lifting up the receiver. And that is exactly what you can do with the little sampler. It is easy to handle.