It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:58 am

Post subject: Card reading
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:11 am 

The other day I bought a SM card reader, followed the instructions in the 303 manual to transfer samples from the computer to the card but no transfer was made. Has anyone else had this problem? What is the right method of doing it? Am I right in thinking that a card reader is a card writer as well?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:21 am 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Yeah, it's a writer too. You should check if your SM card has it's 'write protection' on if it has one. It's a small thing you can move on the card itself, at least ... if it has this write protection ability. Also, don't pull out the card or card reader too soon, it might corrupt data or no transfer may have occurred.

These are about the only things I can think of why it wouldn't want to write to your card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:08 am 

Thanks, but no write protection sticker is in place and I don't remove card before I should. You obviously don't have this problem - you use the method described in the manual, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:03 pm 

I have an SP-555 and SP-606, but the basic routine for the SP-555 is very much the same when I don't use the Wave Converter software with it, so yeah ... I do follow the manual instructions.

Can you describe what's happening exactly when you try to copy to the SM card through that card reader? When you try to copy samples, you don't see a dialog box thing that tells you that it's busy copying files? If it does show up, perhaps something else is wrong, like the names of the samples.

I could imagine it can't handle files that are too big either, but I don't think that's your problem here, just thinking out loud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:40 pm 

You need to Format the SM cards in order to use them with a 303. I forget the exact procedure, but it's just a combination of button presses to do it (It's in the manual). You Format the card, then load samples from your computer onto it, and then you should be able to transfer them to sampler pads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:00 am 

Thanks, but the card has been formatted.

I've just done test; I formatted the card again in case, I checked the capacity using the REMAIN button - 32 minutes, I loaded samples from the computer following the instructions - changing names to those in the manual - SMPL0001.WAV etc, but when I insert the card in the 303 and turn on the power the display does not say 'UAU' as it says it should and banks A-D don't blink. When I pressed REMAIN to see the capacity, it showed 31.5 so the data seems to be on the card but the 303 isn't recognising it.

What am I doing wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:21 pm 

What's the capacity of the card you are using? The max the SP 303 can handle is 64MB. Another thing is you can't load samples that are shorter than 100 milliseconds. Off course you probably know this though since you've read the manual.

If all fails, perhaps try a different memory card, but if even that fails there might be something wrong with your device. It doesn't seem to me that you are doing something wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:14 pm 

After reading through the thread I am pretty sure it has something to do with the bit rate and or sample rate on your samples (or maybe even file type). I would do this:

Sample into the 303 via the RCA inputs. If that stores on the card correctly, you know it's not the card or the SP itself. If that doesn't work either you have a fucked up card, or maybe something is wrong internally on the 303. My guess is that sampling into it will work fine, which means it's got to be the bit or sample rate.

I've never used a 303, so I'm not sure what bit rate or sample rate the samples have to be in, but I'll bet that's your problem right there.

Anyone know what it has to be for the 303 to recognize them?

I could be wrong, as I've never used a 303 before, but that's the only thing not covered in this thread.

EDIT: I would format the card before you try that, just to clear out what is there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:01 pm 

The sample rate required for the 303 is 44.1 kHz. Length and sample rate of samples I'm trying to load are correct. I can record onto the card conventially using the 303 no problem.

I really appreciate all the replies and advice but would like to hear from an actual 303 user - I don't think anyone who has replied uses a 303, do they?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:34 pm 

Naw man, I don't use an SP303, but I had this exact same problem with my MPC1000 and my compact flash card when I first got it. I put files on the card, and the MPC showed the space as being taken up, but I couldn't play them. I could sample into the MPC and save to the card just fine. Come to find out I was using the wrong bit rate. I use an SP202 which also uses smart media cards, so I'm familiar with that storage type.

So you've checked the sample rate, that's good. Any idea what bit rate you are trying to use? The SP303 is 16bits, so maybe if you're trying to load 24 bit samples maybe it's not recognizing them? If you're trying to save 24 bit WAV files to the SM card, I would convert those to 16 bit and try again.

Also, is the internal memory all filled up, or is there room there too? I would make sure you have a little room there. At least enough to store what you are trying to access from the card (just as a troubleshooting step).

I know you said you wanted someone who's used a 303 before, but these are just a few more thoughts I had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:04 pm 

Thanks for your help Dr.

Internal memory not full but I will try the bit rate idea and get back. How can I check a sample's bit rate once stored on the computer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:26 pm 

^^^ Right click the file, then click properties. It'll be listed somewhere in the window that pops up, you may have to search for it. Although I'm pretty sure the 303 should already be displaying "UnS" if the files are not correctly formatted. What program is your DAW, and what specific type of card are you using?

Just for clarity: I believe the SP303 is actually 12-bit, but it only converts 16-bit files. I'm not completely sure about the 12-bit thing, but it's what I've been told before. I believe the bit difference contributes to that grimy-ness of 303 beats, versus the relatively cleaner 404 sounds. Either way, the files need to be in 16-bit 44.1 kHz in order to load.

Just another thought: be sure to designate Bank C as your destination if you're not already doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:48 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

The 303's internal A/D converter is 20bit 44.1khz but it can only sample and store samples at 16bit 44.1khz. The 404 has a 24bit A/D converter but also only handle 16bit 44.1khz samples. I would get the latest version of the sp-303 OS from Roland then initialize your memory card and install the new OS in the card. Load samples that are 16bit 44.1khz and name them SMPL0001 to SMPL0008 since you can only load 1 full bank at a time. When you load your samples in the sm card folder there should be like 3 other files already in the folder that are system info the 303 needs for patterns etc..make sure these haven't been erased accidentally. If this doesn't work make sure you have a compatible sm card, the largest it can handle is 64mb and it has to be 3.3v version as others can lead to complications or loss of data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:44 pm 

I followed your advice and downloaded the update. I even tried another SM card I have, hoping perhaps the other was faulty, but nothing loads. It's a mystery. I think I'm just gonna sample direct from the computer to the 303. Just want to say thanks to everyone who tried to help.