It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm

Post subject: Midi clock send.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:18 pm 

Hi all, in the booklet it says - "If the SP-555 is synchronized to an external MIDI device, it will not transmit timing clock or synchronization-related MIDI messages"

This sux. Octatrack here I come.

http://www.elektron.se/

Post subject: Re: Midi clock send.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:13 am 

why does that suck?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:41 pm 

Well.. I just want to get the clock from my master (mopho keyboard) and pass it through to my other sampler (404sx).. seems so simple but I can't have them be in time following this chain because once I have -synced up with my mopho - the sp-555 wont play ball and send clock or start stop messages to my other sampler via the midi out. It's just annoying - I'll need another piece of gear now to make it happen..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:48 pm 

Anyway - have you guys seen the octatrack? it looks amazing. It's going to squash all those annoying sp-555 limitations..

loop capture drifting..
save to pad stops audio..
no decent live sampling of loop capture..
no undo..

and now no syncing with the 404 or an other device if my clock is external...

I still love my sp-555 but even the basic algorithms for time stretching and pitching is pretty dodgy. This is vital to me in making sample based music and making songs melodic.. I'll welcome the upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:13 am 

Yeah I'm sure the octatrack will be great, I'm not sure if it is locked to 16th quantize or not? that would be the only thing to check before you got it..

But hey if you pay an extra $1500 for something, you gotta expect more :P

If you feel like taking the easy way out, just buy a midi splitter ('Y') cable.. plug the single end into the mopho out, and plug the 'Y'/double end into the 404 & 555 Ins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:36 am 

I'm not sure this will work.. How would the 555 send start/stop/continue messages from the in port?

I think it can't be done. The 555 does not send system real time messages if both the midi in and out is synced. It has to be the master. That's a real shame.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:38 am 

if you're using the 555 to control the timing then why do you need the mopho to be at the top of the chain?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:12 am 

Because if I have 6 songs in my pattern sequencer - its a pain in the ass to manually dial them in for each song. Have you ever had to set a tempo of 165 bpm on that thing. It jumps over some numbers randomly using the knob to set the bpm. 165 is a good example.. try it out.. I have a few friends with 555 samplers and they all do the same thing. If i use my mopho - i just click a patch and it has the BPM assigned. so easy.

BTW - the mopho has 2 MIDI outs so if I want to have the clock sent for both its all good. The issue being I have a drummer that has a DB-90 boss metronome that has MIDI in.. it needs start/stop/continue messages in order to activate. If my 555 could use the Midi out as well as the midi in - I could simply roll with that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:51 am 

Ah well that sucks,
the SPs have pretty terrible midi implementation for the most part

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:09 am 

sorry, i know this is ancient, but has anyone used the sp555 as the midi clock for their set up? basically i have a monotribe with midi in capabilities, and i want the sequencer of the monotribe to run in time with the sp555 pattern sequencer. i don't have any cables to try it out though. anyone know if this will work? how do i get it so that only clock info is sent and not any midi notes from the pads being triggered?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:00 am 

does the monotribe only respond to midi on a certain channel? it should, but im not sure. this is how most things work, you just set them to different channels.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:38 am 

ya it only responds on channel 1 but the pattern sequencer on the sp-555 is always set to 1 also and you cant change it : :( :( :( :x :evil: :x :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:25 pm 

I managed to solve this one in 3 different ways. I had to treat the SP like a spoilt kid!

I had the SP in a chain and it is a swine because it will accept clock in but not pass it on....it really does not play ball in a chain and does not make a very good friend to anything else further down the line.

One way is to stick it right at the start of the chain so that everythign else responds to it.

Alternatively stick it at the end of the chain so that it cannot mess up any other bit of kits fun.

Finally, and the best solution, get hold of a midi thru unit. I have a Philip Rees 1 to 3 midi thru box. I plugged my MC303 to the IN. Basically that gave me 3 seperate routes all generating midi clock. I simply sat the SP on a dedicated line and then chained everything else off of the other lines.

Hope this helps.