It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

Post subject: the mark mystery + the delete disaster
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:49 pm 
Awesome Member

you might noticed that sometimes when you release the mark point the sample plays from the beginning and sometimes it plays from the mark point... now I figured out why... hope i'm not makin myself a dumbass like this 4times cancel=all stopp but alright...

as you know you can set a start and an end point by pressing mark twice and you can set only a start point by pressing mark and the sample pad afterwards.
now you have a start point but the sample plays to the end... if you mark your sample this way and you release the mark point the sample starts playing from there...

what's this good for? chopping/resampling! Back in the days I used to listen to the beginning of a loop like 100times before I resampled the chops I needed... way too complicated... now I just set a start point / resample / release /new point / resample / release / new point . . . .
After releasing the mark point you can immidiately set a new one.... so you can jump through your samples real quick... ctrl-fine-tuning at start and end points works fine....
not sure if this is new to you...
some people wanted multi-mark-chopping...well this is the downgrade. 8)

long text for a simple information.... :roll:

Last edited by wax inspektor on Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: the mark mystery
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:15 am 

you know i noticed this a few weeks ago...but some how if i am using the mark button i don't do it. but i need to chop that way, it just makes sense.

if your chopping around the sample place in a song that is. i have been making beats with chops all around the songs though. good reminder for me though...thanks Wax!

http://www.7thcity.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:59 am 

genious, i'm sure i'll forget to do it all the time, but this is something that i've been trying to figure out for a while, i always try to hold the pad down and then press mark thinking that had something to do with it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:02 pm 
Awesome Member

yeah it's hard to change the flow but this helped me to chop up long samples way faster. just thought i share this... personally I prefer to chop up stuff with cool edit... jus go through the song step by step and sample the shit out of it. 8)

i'm still curious about the bug in pattern rec mode... sometimes when you delete a sample in a sequence and you press del again, everything else will be ereased too... hard to explain for me but i guess you all had this problem before... maybe it's possible to take control over that, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:08 pm 

i hate that shit, whenever you have delete on it deletes one pad whether your pressing it or not, only happpens from time to time, but man is it annoying, it sucks when your deep into pattern adjustment and you try to get around it by turning delete on and off real fast so you don't lose shit,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:42 pm 
Most Helpful Member of the Year '09

Sounds interesting, this fast-chop technique, but I'm not sure if I understand correctly yet. Have to try this out.

www.myspace.com/phemoxband
www.myspace.com/phemox
www.soundclick.com/phemox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:15 pm 

i think the key to having this work is to be somewhat familiar with the sample in the sense that you know the parts you wanna cut out, so that you resample a piece from the beginning of the original pad, then stop recording, play the original pad and mark it in a little bit for the part you want to resample next, but don't press the mark to set an end point, then resample again for that part, then start playing the original pad again, press mark to unmark it, but it should be playing from where it left off last and not restart so that you need to be ready to press mark again, that way you don't have to listen to the whole sample a million times while your spreading it into pieces on other pads for further chopping, very smart indeed, especially for those samples where you don't know how you wanna chop it and you got a good chunk of music to work with, where your gonna have tons of chops and your gonna play with em to try and figure out how your gonna rearrange and sequence

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:52 am 

and i found another thing that is weird. i have not had the O.G. 404 since it came out, so i don't know if this is on that too. but on the SX you canNOT straight up sample a lo-fi right into the box...only on resamples.

and now i can't do the "mark mystery"....i think when it did play from the mark i made, it was like i stumbled on to it. now i can't get it to happen from how y'all was talking about it. i clearly remember this happening to me a few times.......huh?

also...the delete thing......SAME THING. it is not doing that for me when i try. it was good for when you made a pattern and you could delete a bar you did not like. now it is not working. what the hell is going on....or is my brain not working tonight????? bumbaclot!!! (no i think it is a lack of sleep) night :cry:

http://www.7thcity.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 pm 

Word up! I like to take advantage of the 404s extended sample time, and sample long passages of a song, then chop out tons of little pieces, so I'm constantly sitting through the same 30+ seconds of music to get towards the end to do a new chop... This will be helpful...

The 202 and the 303 differ from the 404 in the way their mark buttons function.. The 202 and 303 play from wherever they were in the sample when you release the mark button, even if you had start and end points selected... I find this vastly superior to the 404... I'm glad you cracked the mystery here, wax...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:34 am 

Wax Inspektor wrote:
i'm still curious about the bug in pattern rec mode... sometimes when you delete a sample in a sequence and you press del again, everything else will be ereased too... hard to explain for me but i guess you all had this problem before... maybe it's possible to take control over that, too.

Yeah, unfortunately I have the same problem...I also noticed that if I Mark a reversed sample, it will kind of "freeze" and I can´t use the "Mark-Button" on that particular sample anymore...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:17 am 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

man, i've spent the last 45 minutes trying to figure out this chopping technique. what is this about releasing the mark button? i don't get it. is there any other way to explain this?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:41 am 
Awesome Member

alrighty ima try to break it down again...

let's say you have a sample some saying '1,2,3,4'
and () is the marked region

The 2 ways of marking:

start+end point
1.press sample
2.press mark / start point
3. press mark / end point
example: 1(2)34

start BUT no endpoint
1.press sample pad
2. press mark
3. PRESS SAMPLE PAD AGAIN
example:1(234)

can you make it until here??? I think SX users can't do that but I know you're oldschool...

I might repeat but if you mark your samples the second way you can release the mark point after you played the sample so that you you can set a new one right after that...

1234 -> 1(234) -> 12(34) -> 123(4)

example:
1(234) play the pad´+press mark and the sample will start from '2'... let it play until '3' press mark / press pad and you have 12(34) / resample the 3 / release the mark and so on... I reached my limit dude.. sorry :lol:

*gave a little pm lesson, maybe that one is better...
Wax Inspektor wrote:
Alright Ima try to explain but my wordpool is kinda limited... so here we go:

there are 2 ways of marking a sample:

X = point
O= sample
bold=area of the sample you hear

first is to set START and END point by pressing
1.the pad
2.mark (->start point)
3.mark (->end point)

OOOXOOOXOOO

second way is to set a START but NO END point
1.hit pad
2.mark(-> start point)
3. hit the pad again

OOOXOOOOOO

If you mark your sample without an endpoint, you can release the start point (press mark) and the sample plays starts from that X-point, which allows you to mark it again without to hear the beginning over and over...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:22 am 

:lol: this shit is hard to explain, major props for Wax doing it so well in a foreign language!

this is a damn good ninja technique for chopping

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:42 am 
Awesome Member

:lol: me no good english...

kel wrote:
what is this about releasing the mark button? i don't get it.

Can you mark your samples without an end point?

if so do it and 1. press mark and after that 2. the pad... so the mark point dissapears and the sample plays from that position.... (mark again for a later Cue-point / chop marker / startpoint...) if you would use endpoints, the sample would have started from the total beginning after releasing that start point.

Come on man... it's nearly that chop style you wanted... still with resampling in between though... get on that shit kel, it's cool! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 am 

this is cool.. im never fast enough with the mark button tho, i gotta use the slow old start/end