It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 pm

Post subject: Chopping tempo?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 am 

K, so i saw somewhere that if you want your chops to cancel each other out (not play over each other basically), you need them all to be the same tempo.

What im wondering, is after I record my sample at a certain tempo (say 100), how do i chop it into 8 pieces that are all also at 100bpm?

Also, if anyone knows a site that has a decent tutorial, let me know, cause it's SO hard to find good help for the 303 online.

Post subject: Re: Chopping tempo?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:52 am 

Copy the same sample onto 8 pads. Use the "mark" button to edit the start/end points of each of sample. Yes you need to do it one by one. Doing it this way you can get the chops exactly how you want so they don't overlap. Do not worry if the SP does not register them as the same tempo.

Hit up youtube for video tutorials on how to do this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:59 am 

yeah don't sweat the tempo at all, go with the sound, if you are choppin somethin out of a sample that is roughly 90 BPM, and you want a piece that plays from the AND of 3 and goes for a beat and a half (beginning of the next bar), its probably not gonna read anything close to the tempo of the pattern your going to make, especially if your cutting something and changing the time sig, like taking something thats 6/8 and chopping it and rearranging it so what used to 1 2 3 4 5 6 might be like 1 2 4 5, being played in 4/4 but using the hi hat rhythm as a guide and chopping everything around that

if the problem is that you want to chop something and have it be a certain tempo in the end and so you need to record it in at a certain speed like off the turntable, your best bet is to just try it and see how fast it is when chopped, and if you need to sample it all back in faster or slower then do that, but i usually just roll with whatever comes out, but if the beat is too fast or too slow i might go back and redo it, i usually can judge by a head nod if its straight though hahha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:37 am 

@formal:

that's sorta what i did...what i did was i recorded into bank 8 at 100bpm, and then i copied the first bar into pad 1, 2nd into pad 2, etc...
yet when i finished i realized that all the new samples were different tempos, and would continue to play even when a different pad was hit.
hopefully someone gets what i means and can tell me what im doing wrong/is there maybe another way to get them to stop playing when another pad is hit?

p.s - the problem isn't that any of the banks are longer than 1 bar, it's the fact that say i want to hit one then the other right after it, the first one continues to play until it finishes...i need a way to make it stop right when the next one is hit.

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:41 pm 

Watch all the parts to this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkDdoHDwEEs

Thank 7th City when you're done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:48 pm 

you can't just figure out where you want to chop them by ear??? you seem to know when you want each sample to turn off, so mark it at that point and it will stop playing then, or use the gate function and hold each pad down until you want it to stop playing.........this definitely isn't to complicated, don't worry about the BPM read out of each sample and just go by your ears

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:51 pm 

Dr Van Nostrand wrote:
you can't just figure out where you want to chop them by ear???

Yeah i could, but i just got my sp the day i wrote this, so yeah, i was wondering if there was an easier way, apparantly it's possible on mpc's and such.

Anyhow, thanks everyone for replying, i now know i have to just chop the sample myself, and am already getting the hang of it =D

I LOVE SAMPLERS!