It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:33 am 

Yeah the R3 has more hands on control than the Micron. Personally I'd get the Micron, has alot more possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:37 am 

what do you mean by more possibilities with the micron over the r3 okay i feel you guys about the moog what about the ms2000 or 2000b sorry about asking so many questions i just wanna get the right synth and having some good pointers def helps thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:15 am 

The Micron has a built in step/phrase sequencer for the synth and builtin drumkits and a drum sequencer. It's almost a groovebox in it's own right. It also has a vocoder and full sized keys. They usually go for around $200-300 on eBay, cheaper than the R3 by a margin. From what demos and such I've found they sound pretty damn nice, same synth engine as the Ion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:25 am 

ms2000 is same as microkorg, but has more knobs, and no keyboard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:33 am 
Awesome Member

the ms2000 has keys, the ms2000r is the rack mount version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:47 am 

woops yeah.. keep forgetting theres a keyed version cos i was only ever interested in the rack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:28 pm 
Awesome Member

yeah that rack looks phat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:54 am 

what about the evoler desktop anyone got one or use one if so how is it ?thinking about getting that and the micron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:21 am 

I'm waiting for one (still :x )

dont buy more than one synth if its your first synth, seriously.
The micron alone will be more than enough to keep you busy for a long time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:06 am 

still not really sure which synth to get anyone heard the new sixtoo loving that synth sound on there the r3 sounds cool messed with it a little bit but kinda sounds a little housey and trancey to me any got the r3 and can shed so light i know ive asked the same quetion a couple times but really wanna get some good info i mostly do alot of down tempo trip hop instumental stuff if that helps thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:48 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

cartesia wrote:
Quote:
if i could get the tones of the 32 with a simpler interface, i'd be really pleased.

You'd lose the groovebox components, but gain an even better sounding synth & better interface, by getting a jp8080 . . costs a bit more though :lol:

it's a good point and obviously, cost is a consideration. i guess like everyone i'm trying to find that balance between straight 'outta the box' tones (versus complex programming) and price. i know i could get every tone i could really want from the sh-32, but sitting there tweaking knobs and sliders for several hours at a go tends to crush the creative side of things for me. again tho, i like my sh-32, its just - as every reviewer says - a ridiculous interface. i've got some stuff set up on it that i like.

there is not an equivalent forum (like this one!) for the sh-32, and that's what most users would really benefit from, i think. learning new tricks n tweaks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:53 pm 
505 Award Winner '09

thebizness wrote:
still not really sure which synth to get anyone heard the new sixtoo loving that synth sound on there the r3 sounds cool messed with it a little bit but kinda sounds a little housey and trancey to me any got the r3 and can shed so light i know ive asked the same quetion a couple times but really wanna get some good info i mostly do alot of down tempo trip hop instumental stuff if that helps thanks

i've heard the newest sixtoo record (and i pass that guy nearly every day). you should be able to find out what keys he's using. i know there's some 'studio' stuff of Rob recording that record on YouTube, for ex.

he tends to be pretty open about gear and stuff so info may be out there. howevs, i'll take a look around and see if i can find out. times i've seen him play he's laying into that MPC 'trigger finger' type of interface going into a laptop running ableton. i fink he records with an MPC tho....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:16 pm 

I use a microkorg (I'm starting to get a hang of the prgramming, finally erasing all those factory presets) for thick basslines, organ sounds, crunchy string/rythm-guitar like sounds and really, I like those small keys, even though I have big hands. It's a little tricky to play chords, but hence it's 4 voice polyfony that's not really a big problem. For fast leads it's great too. I have a roland creative keyboard (crap) with big keys and I really dislike playing those. Microkorg is NOT multitimbral, whatever they say, it's not true: you cannot split the timbres. So only one sound at a time (up to four voices though)... I really like this synth alot! And it holds up 128 sound presets (all over-writable by user sounds). It's really easy to program, but it takes a little longer because you allways have to turn the dial to the right section. The vocoder is great, but you really have to use a decent mic (I use my sm58 direct out from the mixer).

The roland sh201 (I do not own this synth) has very limited storage (only 32 user sounds can be stored). It has lots of buttons though, adsr and stuff-> easy straight forward programming.

I have a second hand novation nova hooked up to the Roland now, that's a 6 multitimbral 12 (16-20) voice polyfonic tabletop synth with three oscillators and great sounds and lots of effects. Lots and lots of buttons to program the sounds you want. Great pad sounds! Great bass sounds, nice clear plcuky sounds... I guess it's just great for about everything...Very easy to use with a sequencer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:54 am 

novas are one of the great virtual analogues, i used to own one..

I'm still surprised they arent selling for as much as nords/virus's. . cos theyre in the same class, definitely

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:04 am 

cartesia wrote:
novas are one of the great virtual analogues, i used to own one..

I'm still surprised they arent selling for as much as nords/virus's. . cos theyre in the same class, definitely

Yeah, I'm surprised about that too...

You don't want to know how little money I paid for the nova...

280,- €

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next