It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

Post subject: Faulty memory card?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:37 pm 

I recently purchased an SP-404 and a compact flash card. When I turn on the sampler without the card, it functions properly. However, if I insert the memory card (1 gb Transcend CompactFlash) the screen freezes on "404" when I turn on the sampler.

I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on my situation. I am new to using samplers (and this forum), and I am confused. Is my SP-404 broken or is the card broken? I would like to start using my sampler, but I cannot format the card.

Any info is appreciated. :wink:

-Alex

Post subject: Re: Faulty memory card?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:37 pm 

Hi

The card could be faulty - or just not compatible with the 404. Not all cards are the same electrically - some types could even be too fast or need too much current.

Can you put the card in a card on reader on a computer to see if it works then? Can you format it there? Use FAT 16 ( or just FAT) if you format it on the pc, although the 404 will still have to reformat it in it's own way, FAT16 is closest to the 404 format.

Finally, if you're doing this on battery power, are the batteries good?

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:43 pm 

I have tried 3 different cards now and I have the same problem with all of them.

Specifically, when I go through the steps involved in formatting, it just doesn't format.

I hit cancel and remain, then a bank letter (C/G), then delete. Instead of the dots under "fmt" flashing multiple times like I've seen on youtube videos of cards being formatted, the dots blink once and then go away.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Does anyone have any advise?

Thanks.

-Alex

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:01 am 
505 Award Winner '09

are all three cards you tried 1gig transcends?

if so it could be the 404 doesn't like transcends. i tried some verbatims and the 404 wouldn't even turn on.

i try to stick to ultra II sandisks, others like others.

if you've tried a few dif brands of cf cards, and no dice, you may want to try restoring factory defaults on the 404.

or, as suggested by jim, try using a card reader on a pc.

good luck.

post post post rock:
http://www.myspace.com/faunaflage | http://soundcloud.com/faunaflage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:39 pm 

well i have a sandisck ultra 2 compact flash card 4gb (100x) and my sp-404 dosnt pick it up when i format it it takes for ever and when i think its formated my sp-404 dont make no sound at all from the pads is the card faulty or it to meany gb for the sp-404...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:09 pm 

1GB is the largest compact flash card the SP404 will take.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:19 pm 

Hello, I just got a 404. it came with 2 512mb lexar cards. One works fine. When i put the other one in the 404 counts backwards from 100 and then reads 000. I cant access the card or even banks a and b. is there anyway to make it work?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:24 pm 

Put the card in a PC carder. Once it pops up in "my computer" (for windows) Right Click the card and select "format". Put it back in the 404 and try again. Sometimes this can fix memory cards.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:05 am 

Heres the deal tried 5 different Sandisk Ultra II 1gb tried 512. Tried other brands and restored factory resets tried formatting on computer via card reader. None of this stuff works. sometimes it FMT blinks once and then stops try and sample on other banks c/j with no luck. Sometimes it FMT blinking lights forever . ive let it go 24 hours still blinking. is the Card reader broke.??? BTW i have the o.g404 obviously because of the cf card. Anyways called Roland and they said they cant just replace card reader only whole mother board. any advice??? Ish is wack.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:00 pm 

I have been having the same problems with my sampler. It only worked with a smaller memory card but is supposed to work with up to 1 GB.
Roland suggested they could reformat the system to accept larger memory cards or update the latest software for the SP 404.
Has anyone tried this? I'm tired of spending money on this system trying to fix it!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:43 pm 
Awesome Member

troutmask wrote:
When i put the other one in the 404 counts backwards from 100 and then reads 000

:lol: Thought I know all bugs and stuff but this sounds really cool...
i would be scared like shit if my 404 would count backward from 100...
the 404 already looks like a bomb to some people, and now this?!

take cover! it's loading a CF!
NOOOO--

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:00 pm 

hi guys, i just had this exact same problem with the sp not even turning on with the card installed, thing is all my cards are 1gb and from the same brand,
so this one had to work right?
i tried everything everything stated here before and formated the card a couple of times with FAT @16kb - still wouldnt work, when i went back to one of my old previously used cards that 100% worked 10 mins ago the same problem came up, SP not turning on?!
so i know this sounds silly but i just gave the card a little nudge into the card reader since i have no lid for it, anyway after this i reboot the SP and all the cards old and new are working perfectly
its not rly tech info but it might help someone, just make sure the card is rly snug in there and the [ . . . ] start blinking when its loading
peace*