It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

Post subject: recent scores?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:43 pm 

what have you guys come up on lately?

Some recent ones for me are:

NEW
Luke vibert & Jean jaques perrey - moog acid <dope, dope, dope found a new copy at dusty groove in chicago, this one is only a few years old, but is already hard to find and expensive, been on the lookout for it for a while.

Mr chop - sounds from the cave <hard ass drums and dope production all around.

Hudson Mowhawke - Polyfolk Dance <dope abstract-ish electronic beats, although I haven't been able to figure out why it's named after a jean-luc ponty song..

OLD
Ramsey Lewis - Mother Natures Son <Bunch of Jazzy funky beatles covers

Dorothy Ashby - The Rubaiyat of Dorothy Ashby <got lucky and found the OG pressing in absolutely Mint condition for $6, dope record with some real nice harp work and hard drums.

The Rotary Connection - Songs <psychadelic soul on cadet concept, fresh cover of respect that i could listen to on repeat all day.

Donovan - Hurdy Gurdy Man <get thy bearings, again I could listen to this one over and over.

John Klemmer - Eruptions and Magic Momments <psychadelic, fusion-y sax playing, again on cadet concept/chess

Lee michaels - ST <drums, drums and more drums and some dope grooves as well

I think there are some more that i'm forgetting...I'll post an updated list and some pics when i get home tonight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:15 am 

got a copy of switched on bach today for a dollar from st vinnies!

Have always been eyeing it down at the 'collectors' store in town where they want $30 for it. . but its more novelty than anything else so wouldnt ever pay that much for it... A dollar is very agreeable though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:49 am 
505 Award Winner '09

today I got some russian gypsy balalaika music, some caliope fun-house weirdness, a guy playing 20th century composition (reich, glass) on flute (totally, totally killah) and some weird soul stuff with a pair of handcuffs on the cover...great open basslines.

on the whole, a great haul.

dusty!

post post post rock:
http://www.myspace.com/faunaflage | http://soundcloud.com/faunaflage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:02 am 

yeah, $30 for switched on bach is crazy...that flute album sounds dope fauna.

some recent ones for me are:

john klemmer - waterfalls, dope soul jazz sax album. it's all about the sax being freaked through the echoplex...

coven - whichcraft destroys minds and reaps souls, crazy dark acid psych. i guess it was one of if not the first "satanic albums" lucked out and pulled a good copy for $5 ish goes for around $100

salvation army - salvation army, cool early 80's southern california garage punk psychedelic record. i guess they had to pull the record because they got threatened by the real salvation army. came out a few years later with a different name, the three o'clock

st george and tana - is now, nice semi-obscure 60 pop folk semi-psych album, has a dope cut called reno nevada(which is where i'm from/currently reside)

3 claudine longet albums, more 60's pop psych, but kinda loungy. guess she was like the OJ of her time, she shot and killed her olympic skier boyfriend and got away with it

the new folk - born yesterday (i conquered death), crazy trippy private press xian record hard to find anything about it, but the one copy on ebay has a BIN of $125. too bad my copy has a wack scratch on the B1 track that goes parallel to the grooves and skips...

shawn phillips - spaced, dope record that ranges from folk/psychish stuff to super funky jazz type stuff with the headhunters running the rhythm section. shadow sampled one of the folkish vocal tracks for what does you soul look like(part 1)

some ebay scores too:

black milk - stern 7", one of my favorite hip-hop songs in a long while

mazinga phaser - cruising neon glories, 90's space rock/psychedelic album that came with some crazy good recommendations.

i got a handful of other ones that have pretty cool random sample fodder as well, but i can't remember the names right now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 pm 

Went to Record Store Day in Athens and got a ton of free records the library was giving away

Alot of cool spoken word stuff, A tour of germany and eastern europe on see through amber vinyl, some french sing a longs for kids, a big boxset from readers digest that just says "HAPPINESS" with an old picture of a broad smiling in the woods, should be cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:22 pm 
Newcomer of the Year '09

I just found a decent record store today in Zurich. Cheapest records are 5 bucks, which sucks. How much do you guys averagely pay for your wax? Ah yeah, I might pick up some movie soundtracks, like Ben-Hur, and Mortelle Randonée, if I ever find that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:01 pm 

8BIT wrote:
I just found a decent record store today in Zurich. Cheapest records are 5 bucks, which sucks. How much do you guys averagely pay for your wax? Ah yeah, I might pick up some movie soundtracks, like Ben-Hur, and Mortelle Randonée, if I ever find that...

generally .25-$2(stupid northern california goodwill's in the sacramento/auburm area tend to charge $2 otherwise it would be .25-$1), most of my digging is done at thrift stores since where i live that's pretty much all there is, we have one used record store and that's it. stuff i occasionally cop from that place on average is about $8. they have some stuff that i really want that's in the $12-20 range, but it's hard when i feel like if i keep hitting the cheap spots i'll eventually come across them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:44 pm 

Just started out copping vinyl for making hip-hop, I want to make remix's to acapella's from 12"s

So I picked up these to start out over my summer break from university...

Herb Albert & The Tijuana Brass - The Beat Of The Brass

Kashmere Stage Band - Zero Point

Eddie Floyd - Baby Lay Your Head Down(gently on my bed)

Seals & Crofts - Closer

Gil Scott Heron - Pieces Of A Man

Morris Albert - Feelings

... and whole bunch of others I bought from a friend including a Barry White LP, and a Motown LP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:57 pm 

Gil scott heron.....Nicee....were did you pick them? I wanna go digging in london sometime soon....sounds of the universe looks dope..

selectadisc in notts just closed...which sucks...gotta travel for my digging now...

http://www.myspace.com/fadefordays

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:03 pm 

reignbear wrote:
john klemmer - waterfalls, dope soul jazz sax album. it's all about the sax being freaked through the echoplex...

copped this about the same time you did last week, very sick stuff, flipped a track off it already this weekend, the rhodes on that album is so tight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:05 pm 

Jmoki wrote:
Gil scott heron.....Nicee....were did you pick them? I wanna go digging in london sometime soon....sounds of the universe looks dope..

selectadisc in notts just closed...which sucks...gotta travel for my digging now...

I actually swooped all these off ebay, Im based in Stoke at the moment for uni, but for sure when I reach London at some point over the summer I will be going shopping.

I heard Manchester has some crazy places for vinyl, so me and a few friends are going up there to see what we can swoop.

So are you based in Notts?(don't know the P Bros. do ya lol) I would imagine there should be a few spots to dig seeing as its a big city like London.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:09 pm 

P brothers are tooo dope......

Theres a few places, selecta disc was my favorite, but alas it has been closed....
The coolest place looks like robs records, check it out..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/360/whe ... ords.shtml

bbc did an artical on it, never been organised...looks crazy.. once I get some bread Im there...

http://www.myspace.com/fadefordays

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:29 pm 

Quote:
Containing an unestimable (over 200,000) records tapes and CD's

That place looks like heaven :D I can't even begin to think of all the gems that lay with in that store, I could take a vacation in there.

Quote:
they normally leave with a large carrier bag full of vinyl and still have change from a fiver.

I could dribble at the thought of that lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:01 am 

Dr Van Nostrand wrote:
reignbear wrote:

copped this about the same time you did last week, very sick stuff, flipped a track off it already this weekend, the rhodes on that album is so tight

word, post that ish up!

I haven't even had time to sample anything and, i've been getting all these dope records...at least they are good to listen to while i'm working on other stuff. right now i'm working on this video project for my girlfriends BFA thesis show, maybe i can flip some stuff for the score to that...

some more stuff that i've picked up lately:

keith jarrett - hyms - spheres. jarrett freaking the funk out of some crazy baroque organs. ish was done live all improv, you can pretty much just needle drop and find dope samples.

rotary connection - s/t and aladdin. more dope psychedelic soul.

daughters of albion - s/t. more psychedelic ish

midnight cowboy - ost.

Post subject: Re: recent scores?
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:01 pm 

Went Manchester today and did a lil dig around, went in a charity shop and picked up these two

I then went to Vinyl Exchange and swooped "Batteria for the beatheads vol. 3" (loads of dope drum breaks) & "A sack of Nas" (loads of samples used on Nas' best joints), I also got some cd's for dirt cheap, Endemic: Terminal Illness, Muggs/Asia: Pain Language, Large Pro: 1st Class, Dudley Perkins: Expressions, Madlib: WLIB AM:King of the wigflip.

Looking to go again midweek, I could've spent all day in there, but I felt sorry for my girlfriend who was patiently waiting for me haha :lol: