It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

Post subject: Advice sought on Korg Electribe MX-1
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:54 am 

I'm thinking of getting a Korg Electribe MX-1, does anyone have any experience of using one in conjunction to the SP-404?

Are they worth the cash, I would be making chilled out vibes and possible nu jazz style tunes.

Also is it over kill considering I have a microKorg and a Micron?

It seems likie it would be good for making beats and the basic tune. And I would use the microKorg/Micron for the other riffs. The 404 would be used to trigger some samples during the track.

Any advice would be well received.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:28 pm 

i think you would find it useful -

you could use it to sequence all of your gear (micron, microkorg, sp-404),
so it could become the centre of your setup.

the microkorg/micron will sound better,

the emx has 2 main good features 2 you:

- the sequencer being able to control all of your gear from the emx.

- the immediacy of the synth parts - you'll be able to program a sound quicker than on the micron/microkorg, because most of the synth parameters for the emx have knobs on the front panel, rather than being hidden in menus.

if you're not the kinda guy that is interested in sequencing tracks (would rather just play keyboard/sample it) then maybe its not so useful to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:36 pm 

Thanks cartesia, sounds pretty damn fine to me then. I can sequence everything and mess around with the synths on the emx whilst I record to a 4 track. Then if I want to bust some keyboard solos then I can lay them over the top.

I'm putting the order in now then (stocks tlook thin on the ground).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:25 pm 

just so you know the red one does alot of the same stuff but can sample.. its a short amount of time but yea... if you already have keys and synths the emx has 4 keyboard parts while the esx has 2.. you get sampling on the sx though.. theres a pretty dope useful sample organizer thing for the sx also.. ive had an sx since august.. making boom bap drum stuff rather than that uhmm tissst techno ish..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:29 pm 

timfromtexas wrote:
just so you know the red one does alot of the same stuff but can sample.. its a short amount of time but yea... if you already have keys and synths the emx has 4 keyboard parts while the esx has 2.. you get sampling on the sx though.. theres a pretty dope useful sample organizer thing for the sx also.. ive had an sx since august.. making boom bap drum stuff rather than that uhmm tissst techno ish..

I've already got the 404 for sampling thats why I was thinking EMX1, but if they do roughly the same then the decision is more difficult. Although I still feel the extra synth parts will be useful.

Do you have any examples of tunes you've made with the ESX?

Oh and does the arpeggiator work with imported samples? That looks really useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:04 pm 

yea the arp thing works on any pad basically from what i remember..

you have kind of a good point you can always use the mx to trigger the samples on your 404 (long or short samples) ive never use it like that but i know it can be done..

http://www.box.net/shared/jbudhc9vba pretty lame! but i used the korg as the drum a simple as poo 4 bar loop and the farty bass was done with an alesis micron i had gotten a few days before.. i got wrapped up on the keyboard and forgot to change up the drums..

if youre looking for programming synth sounds and making bass lines and stuff you should look at the micron too.. it has some reallllllyyy cool functions and you can program it like an electribe or record live and replay stuff.. its a complicated machine but if youre patient and put the time in its powerful..

the tribes are simple and fast as far as dabbling goes.. i dont know much about the mx or the synth stuff but i know it has way more synth stuff/controls and slots than mine does.. i was gonna get that but i liked the alesis a lot.. it sucks the majority of the stuff made on the tribes is the same ol stuff over and over again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk3hU-pV8cQ

this guys stuff convinced me that you could make some pretty cool non techno stuff with an electribe.. he makes mainly that stuff but i like his hiphopish stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:44 pm 

Yeah I dig the micron, although I find programing the sequencer a bit tedious, the tribe looks way slicker for putting together ideas. I'm hoping to use them all together :)

Thanks for the link I'll check it out when I get home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:08 pm 

before u buy, check it on youtube...well it helps me with my decissions on should I buy this or that.

I´m sorta stuck also at the moment...should I buy an Access Virus Indigo or should I get the Ectribe MX. Ofcourse my Music genre is way different than urs but we seem to have the same probs =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:30 pm 

Cheers guys, you tube has spoken to me and has said go buy the emx-1.

I think this will be a great machine to have fun with, should be a nice complement to the rest of my gear.

That Access Virus Indigo is a sick machine. I also like the monomachine - I could get into creating some weird shit with those.

Can't wait to start putting some beats together on it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:42 pm 

more doods on here use the emx than the esx.. they get all wild into the synth stuff discussions..

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... m.php?f=48

a guy on there started another board too (one of the most knowledgable doods on there)

http://electribe-forum.com/index.php?si ... ae2248ec56

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:56 am 

Cool, cheers Tim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:07 am 

timfromtexas wrote:
more doods on here use the emx than the esx.. they get all wild into the synth stuff discussions..

The emx has more synth sounds but no sampler, the esx has a sampler , therefore less synthsounds....both r great machines, just depends on what ur needs r...Korg has em :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:34 pm 

I've got my EMX now, its a top bit of kit :D really quite versatile. Great sounding synths and drums and a doddle to program.

Linked up with the 404 it the ****

All I can think about it making music 8)

Post subject: ESX synth parts
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:04 am 

I run an ESX1 as part of my set up & while I love its flexibility I gotta say its synth parts are weak compared to the MX1. Only one note per part at a time (therefore no 3+ note chords from its sequencer- damn). One the other hand, it rips at getting some old style rave synth sounds.

The synth part in the ESX1 works by pitching samples across a keyboard. Basically, enter an accurate root note & the sample's pitched nicely to play like a synth. The amp attack-sustain-decay-release controls etc don't exist because it's a sampler after all.

Generally I use the ESX1 synth parts for dubstep style wobbling bass & glockenspeil riffs. For more complex synthing, don't worry with the ESX1.

Post subject: Re: Advice sought on Korg Electribe MX-1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:51 am 

I lost mine to a pawn shop a couple years back, but it was quite powerful for 8 bar loops(when most sequencers only had 1 or 4 bar loops). What I didn’t like was it was pretty much a rompler as far as all the sounds were concerned. You could edit & add all the FX you wanted, but it wasn’t easy to coax it to sound completely new. I miss it, and if I found a good deal, I’d likely get it again. But I never got around to getting the ESX, so that’s what I’d rather find.