It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 am

Post subject: Leak a technique
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:34 am 
Winner of Bronze Medal
Winner of Bronze Medal

I saw something like this back when I first visited the forum. Maybe I can get some of yall to post some sp recording techniques. i'll start.

record a break at low input gain (round 25) with a high pass filter and put to a pad.
record the same break with a deep low pass filter at normal gain and place on another pad.
put subsonic on the lower one, so that it dies quickly before each snare. turn the subsonic effect about 75% wet on the sample. resample it.
turn the vinyl compressor on both pads at play at same time. freakishly-compressed slappin drums!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:14 pm 

Cool man, I'll have to give that a try

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:13 am 

I've gotten some really cool kicks with the voice transformer. Radio tuning can produce some nice snare sounds, to

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:00 am 
303 Award Winner '09

Chromatic PS for snare variations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:23 am 
555 Award Winner '09

resample with lo-fi comp then tweak that sample with the isolator ...starts to get nice and crispy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:38 pm 

i've talked about this before,but i got it down to more of an exact thing now....for swing-have 2 or 3 kicks,3-4 snares,3-4 hats-the same sounds or samples,obviously pitched a little differently,prefferebly...i usually use 3 snares,3 hats,2 kicks,and a "little kick"..resample your sounds so you have a half second or so of empty space in front of them,then get them all at their precise start points-then lay your snares on 16.3,your kicks unquantized or 16.3/16,& hats on 16--get this down right and it'll already have some pretty good & acceptable swing...BUT- then,put one snares startpoint at -1,
one at -2,and leave one how it is..put the kicks at -2 & -3,little one at -4 or 5..then put your hats at -2,-3,-4....play them in a somewhat random but planned order & lay your chops over that shit unquantized-- your swing is gonna be crazy and as good as any machine or producer out there. when yall hear some of my new beats you'll hear what i'm talking about--although i'm sure a few of you old school sp heads already know.seems like a lot of work typed out, but its not at all really,just a few minutes,and to me is SO much iller than not quantizing anything..never underestimate the importance of some dope & consistent swing to your drums......

also,for some "double time" hats just resample them with a small 16th (or was it 8th?:)delay and play them like a regular 8th note pattern,works really well

also,lol..i just realized that instead of putting reverb on an entire snare to get a tail on it,resample it with the reverb,but then chop off the snare,and play the remaining echo/reverb part a 16th or so after the dry one,maybe putting some compression on it..if that makes any sense--that way you're not changing the sound of the entire snare,making it all tinny and shit

maybe all this is some common knowledge,i dont know..i've just learned a whole lot the last few months due to extreme excessive compulsion

now i gotta try that break tip that started the thread,sounds really interesting...1

www.myspace.com/druphit

www.myspace.com/adruthemisphit

www.myspace.com/beird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:12 pm 

i fuxxed with that swing technique you described adru, it turned out terrible! maybe i'll get it right soon enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:06 pm 
303 Award Winner '09

That trick does work it just might take some tinkering to have it sound right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:04 pm 

i figured, i'm definitely going to experiment with it some more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:25 pm 

its possible that it may have sounded fucked up just from quantizing with 16.3-it can be kinda tricky and i can very rarely lay down a 8 bar sequence in one take without at least 1,maybe two of my snares being a little(or a lot,lol) off...but when you get it right on that setting it's a lot betetr than 4,8,or 16-you gotta really pay attention to that metronome...just make sure you start with all your start points precise when you play your pattern out-then after its layed down right make your start point adjustments-as a general rule you want your kicks a little further back than your snares start point wise --and your hats a little further back than that.so just try and move a couple of your snares back one or two notches,your kicks 2 & 3,and your hats 3 & 4-or something like that-nothing too dramatic-and it should come out sounding dope.i promise you this works well and makes a really big difference in the overall quality of your beat...1

www.myspace.com/druphit

www.myspace.com/beird

Post subject: adru
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:29 pm 

Maybe its just me but the explanation is a bit off for your technique. Could you put it in a form like this:

I would be interested to read but the sentences bleed a little bit and for newbs like myself to the 303 or sp boxes, its kind of confusing.

If you can't no problem, we all figure things out in time.

cheers

s0le

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:00 pm 

keep in mind-your swing can still sound pretty dope with your snares and kicks at 16.3 with no alterations...but to me,messing with the start points a little puts your swing at a level much more close to that of machines that actually have a swing function--but still,over the last few years it seems producers have taken their drum placement and swing to a whole new level,and i'm sure a lot of cats that use mpc's are doing some of this as well...

1.sample or resample your snares,kicks and hats with a little bit of empty space in front of them-if you resample,just hit the pad once,wait a half second or so,and hit it again,and use the second hit.

2.put your snare samples on 3 or 4 pads,kicks on 2 or 3,hats on 3 or 4,and set them at their exact start points

3.play out your pattern as you normally would,quantized on 16.3 or 16-and vary the order in which you play the hits(still make it a somewhat consistent order though)

4.after your patterns laid tightly,start moving your start points back with fine adjust.theres a few different ways to do this--for starters, leave one snare as is,one at -1,one at -2.do the same with the kicks and hats-for the kicks, put em at -2,-3,hats at -3,-4,maybe one at -5.as an example if you have say a ~ kick-kick-snare-hat ~ part of your pattern it could be like (-2) kick-(-3)kick- (-2) snare- (-4) hat
but again,you can vary your settings in many ways,you can try moving your kicks and hats even further back as well...its really the placement of the kicks and hats that have the biggest effect on swing,in my opinion.

5.its really not too complicated,just throw some space in front of your shit and you'll see what i mean.
peace

www.myspace.com/druphit

www.myspace.com/beird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:47 pm 

i take 25 minutes to break this down for you,and no reply?yall think im on some bullshit...new beats on the way

www.myspace.com/druphit

www.myspace.com/beird

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:05 pm 

haha, thanks. that was a great write up though. helped me understand the technique a little better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:50 pm 
555 Award Winner '09

lol adru ive been reading your shit and its helped some but i was just to f*cking lazy to reply haha and yo guys adru aint on any type of bullshit just check his page or pages and check out his dope you tube spitting fire anyways PEACE! thanx adru.

Last edited by JayLost on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.