It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:26 am 

2 problems:

Problem 1: I recently purchased an sp404...tried to update to version 1.02 etc..
downloaded the file ...extracted it etc....followed the install directions exactly!...
......didnt work!!!....(note: i use a apple g4/ g5 and logic pro)
CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!???

problem 2: since im still classed a "newbie" im trying to sync my sp404 to logic...
ie: Can i play a beat /loop/sample etc.....into logic pro?
im using the alesis i/02 interface connected by usb into the G5 but to no avail!
when i press a pad on the 404...i'll see a signal coming thru to logic
but when i press record...either the recording bar will move cross the screen but nothing will actually record!!??......or the bar wont move at all??!!!....sorry if this is a really simple problem but as i say im totally new to this and would appreciate someone giving me .....STEP....BY....STEP.....EASY....TO....FOLLOW....DIRECTIONS....AS....TO...SETTING...UP...the sp404 with logic
ie: plug your blah blah lead into the socket that says.....
click the button that says ......in logic etc...you get my drift
simple to follow instructions to help me set this up....

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE PEOPLE....

note: I been messing wid the sp since i got it and i must say its a pretty dope little machine (aside form the probs im having)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:38 pm 

im not sure i can offer advice on syncing to logic(because i dont use recording software).

Although, you should try upgrading to os 0.4. see if that works. its a newer/better anyway.

can you explain why it doesnt work when you upgrade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:49 pm 

Hey thanx 4 replying 1st off.....
umm......ok...i follow the instructions on the roland website (how to download the update, insert card ...start up sp404....)

But then it says the sp should start flashing etc.....indicating that its updating...
but that doesnt happen for me??!!....(oh im also using an apple g5/ so i download the mac update obviously!!.....)
i truly am getting frustrated with this thing...cos i got samples etc.....on the sp...and when i open the folder on the flash card...there not saved as WAV'S as the book says....(maybe my machine is faulty i dunno!!!???)
thanx again in advance for any help offered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:26 am 

Even if the samples are saved on the sp when u turn it on, u stiil gotta export the samples for them to show up on the flash card. The maual should tell u how 2 do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:49 pm 
Are you trying to get a loop into Logic as audio or trigger loopvia midi?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:12 pm 

Thanx 4 replying people.....

1st off....im trying to update my sp404 to the new OS ......doing EVERYTHING the manual says etc....nothings happening ??!....it says the sp should update automatically once you've dragged the file onto the ROOT level of your card etc....
but when i turn the sp back on..nothing happens!!!?!!......i've contacted roland on several occasions....emailed them etc.......they havent bothered to contact me back ......so now im stuck with a machine that i cant use.....cant update...tried everything ive been advised to do......and £250 out of pocket......THANX ROLAND!!!!!!!....your the best!!!!!..........

.....and in response to Christs post:
Im trying to get a loop/ sequence beatr i've made etc..into logic so i can then continue to work on it in logic pro.....i have got an I/O 2 audio interface but as im a newbie .....i was told by a sales assistant in Turkey that all i had to do was click on the midi clock button??!.....and i should be able to play/record whatever into logic........but the more i read the manuals etc...the more confusing it gets!!...its probably something really simple im missing...but i just need someone to literally guide me through the process in setting up the sp404 to logic...via AUDIO.....

thanx for your time and help people

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:02 pm 
Just put the output of the Sp-404 into the line in on the I/O 2 and set up logic to record audio (audiotrack) from the line in on the I/O 2. Record the output from the Sp-404.

On your problem with updating the Sp-404, I have just upgraded:

Downloaded the file from Roland US site and unzipped it.
Put the bin file I downloaded in the compact flash card folder at root lvl(outside te Roland folder).
Put the CF card in the Sp and turned it on, the SP updated, counter to zero, turned the SP off and took out the CF card. Deleted the bin file and put the CF card in. The SP booted up and working OK.

Who have you emailed at Roland? Try emailing someone higher up in the chain at Roland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:54 pm 

thanx 4 responding so quick!!.......

1.ok....i have my card in the card reader hooked up to my mac
2.Downloaded the bin file (DCOAPL.BIN) and it opened automatically coz i got stuffit expander and the resulting file when opened is a piece of paper with a folded top right hand corner.
3.Dragged this file onto my mem card...and placed it on root level (next to the folder which says roland)
4.ejected folder and placed card into 404..turned on machine.........
5.NOTHING!!!!!!!!!??!!

ps: ive emailed the "technical support".....rang them etc.......no reply....5 weeks now...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

crazy stuff. did you already try to format your card before upgrading?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:58 pm 

hey thanx for responding
i've formatted my card....over and over..tried to repeat the whole process
tried a different card...but its not working!!?.......im starting to think my machine may actually be faulty!!?.....but everything else works fine???????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:57 am 

Go over to a friend with a pc and ask him/her to write the bin file to your cf card. It seems like mac users have been having problems upgrading the os on their sp-404 :

http://forums.rolandclan.info/?action=show_thread&thread=14359&fid=3&page=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:48 am 

YO!!!!!!.....IT WORKED!!!!!!!...........
thanx for the help man, really appricate your help......thanx alot
...hmmmm...now i just need to find out why i cant make my samples loop perfectly as a pattern?!....im trying to create a pattern that will loop perfectly ie: 4 bars
so im guessing that i have to try and stop the recording as accurately as possible in hope that it will loop back round perfectly??!!!.....remember people i am a "newbie"..and i have read the manual.....but i still cant get my samples to loop perfectly..im new to this whole "quantize thing".......i understand the basic principles of it
..but i just cant seem to get it working for me........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:49 am 

Problems looping sp-404-pattern sequencer
Hey people! my question is this:It seems the pattern sequencer is not intended for samples off of :cd's/records/tapes etc but for smaller samples like drum kit samples or short sounds etc,I'm I right or wrong ? I cannot get it to flow smoothly when I record a sample into pattern sequence mode. I'm I doing something wrong? I'm quantizing/setting up the length etc!!!!

thanx again 4 all your help people

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:29 am 

Yeah, i gave up looping full bars on the 404 a while back. I dont mind because i like chopping and making my own phrases out of loops..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:22 pm 

sowf wrote:
I cannot get it to flow smoothly when I record a sample into pattern sequence mode. I'm I doing something wrong? I'm quantizing/setting up the length etc!!!!

try and do it with gate off and loop off. if you need to repeat the loop try and loop it manually by triggering the sample again...it may take a few takes