It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

Post subject: Finally joining the club
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:30 pm 

Was in a pawn shop & spotted a 404 Original for $150!!! Only question I had was the memory cards. You can order 8 GB for $31 from Amazon. Is that the limit or can you go higher? Or does it refuse to format beyond 8GB??

Thanx! Getting one on layaway. Just had to ask about the original.

Attachments:
862DA2D7-DBC5-497C-A26C-FBA815669FD3.jpeg
862DA2D7-DBC5-497C-A26C-FBA815669FD3.jpeg [ 175.52 KiB | Viewed 5813 times ]

Post subject: Re: Finally joining the club
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:20 am 

Location: Out the back.Im digging up the yard and spying on the devil
@Headphones

Just be aware that you can only use 1 GB max with an O.G. 404, ,anything above that will not work.

I like to use the even smaller 512 megabyte cards personally as they seem to enable a faster work flow with the machine.

$150 is a great price btw..looks like you've snagged yourself a real bargain there!

https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:42 am 

Excellent score on a working sp404 for $150.

As for 8gb, where did you here that?
the manual has a max card limit of 1gb.
link to manual

Original "OG" SP 404 Manual

It's on the front page of the manual. 1gb, in hopes you were right I just tried three different 2gb cards and I could not get them to format. I'm pretty sure 1gb is the max for the original sp404 but it is more than enough to fill the banks.

Edit: Dan posted up the same as I was slowly typing up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:16 pm 

I was typing in memory cards in the search engine, and I spotted 2Gb, 4gb & 8 gb cards to choose from. I wasn’t sure if any of those would work. That’s why I asked.

As for the price, they hadn’t gotten around to putting it online, because they would have jacked up the price for sure! So I had to get $40 from my ATM, but he had it in the back for me. I am down to my last $14 until payday. But I’m pretty sure I’m getting this Friday, and getting my Technics 1200 with it. I would probably have enough for the bigger memory cards, but I’d be crushed to find they wouldn’t format or load! I’ll see where a 1gb card runs me.

I might have gotten it so low because there was a bit of cosmetic damage, but if it works, then who cares? I have to get a stereo setup to audition the turntable & output it to the 202/404/505.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:46 pm 

You seem to get some hella good deals from that pawn shop. The shops around here try to sell shit for twice what is sells for on ebay.

Even with a fresh set of pads from mpcstuff, some new pots (if they are wobbly) and a cool clear faceplate if yours is beat up, you are still coming out ahead.

Having both, I think the original 404 sounds better than the sx, especially when looping a break, so you should be pleasantly surprised when you get that beast, well worth the $150.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:31 pm 

Crane wrote:
You seem to get some hella good deals from that pawn shop. The shops around here try to sell shit for twice what is sells for on ebay.

You could say that pawn shop probably bought it for $50-75. :mrgreen:
So it's a good deal, except for the seller.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:07 am 

Crane wrote:

Even with a fresh set of pads from mpcstuff, some new pots (if they are wobbly) and a cool clear faceplate if yours is beat up, you are still coming out ahead.

Having both, I think the original 404 sounds better than the sx, especially when looping a break, so you should be pleasantly surprised when you get that beast, well worth the $150.

This is Palace Loans on 1st, right by Pike Place Market. They are a bit doomed because they want to tear down their shop, plus the Seattle Showbox venue to build some stupid high rise hotel we don’t need. So I wasn’t even sure they were still there. They not only are still there, but had a SP404 at a incredible price. So it’s a good thing I was headed that direction to go to my bank. Otherwise I could have assumed it was long gone, when it wasn’t. And also not be aware it was there at all. This is going to be it for awhile until fall. But can’t complain when it comes to all this incredible gear at a price I can come up with. My next purchase is a 4 or 5 channel DJ mixer, because I probably will save up for a 2nd Technics, but I know I won’t get the other one as cheap as the first. But with the 404, and my records, I should be ok. I’ll buy a few 1gb cards from Amazon to keep interesting loops & 1 shots handy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 am 

Quote:
My next purchase is a 4 or 5 channel DJ mixer, because I probably will save up for a 2nd Technics, but I know I won’t get the other one as cheap as the first.

I would recommend the DJ-99 mixer by Roland (it is a DJ tech DIF 2s with a paint job) Adorama camera had them for $80 the other month but it looks like they are back to $250 right now. They can be found for around $100 new and are pretty sweet scratch mixers with an innofader, although it would be better to save up for a used Rane ttm56.

For the 5 channel up mixers, don't get a dj mixer, find a mackie VLZ 1202 or up, again they can be found for cheap and the way that the mackie mute buttons work as alternate outputs is great for incoming sound vs outgoing with no feedback loop.

Is there a reason why you are stuck on Technics for turntables?
I was a technics fanboy for 20 years till Numark started putting out real tables. All and anyone can burn me if they want (and I am more than willing to do a scratch battle using the Numarks) but I currently have 3 TTX and a tt200 in operation, the black Technics 1200 is in a box in the basement for sale.
The tt200 is not as solid as the 1200 but is has the same torque and feel, I haven't touched a tt500 but I assume it would be better, the ttx blows the 1200 back to 1970.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:51 am 

Headphones wrote:
I’ll buy a few 1gb cards from Amazon to keep interesting loops & 1 shots handy.

PM me your address.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:56 am 

Crane wrote:
Quote:
My next purchase is a 4 or 5 channel DJ mixer, because I probably will save up for a 2nd Technics, but I know I won’t get the other one as cheap as the first.

I would recommend the DJ-99 mixer by Roland (it is a DJ tech DIF 2s with a paint job) Adorama camera had them for $80 the other month but it looks like they are back to $250 right now. They can be found for around $100 new and are pretty sweet scratch mixers with an innofader, although it would be better to save up for a used Rane ttm56.

For the 5 channel up mixers, don't get a dj mixer, find a mackie VLZ 1202 or up, again they can be found for cheap and the way that the mackie mute buttons work as alternate outputs is great for incoming sound vs outgoing with no feedback loop.

Is there a reason why you are stuck on Technics for turntables?
I was a technics fanboy for 20 years till Numark started putting out real tables. All and anyone can burn me if they want (and I am more than willing to do a scratch battle using the Numarks) but I currently have 3 TTX and a tt200 in operation, the black Technics 1200 is in a box in the basement for sale.
The tt200 is not as solid as the 1200 but is has the same torque and feel, I haven't touched a tt500 but I assume it would be better, the ttx blows the 1200 back to 1970.

A 2 channel mixer won’t do the job I have in mind. I want 2 turntables, 2 samplers for now, but might get CDJs down the road. I will need at least a Pioneer 5 channel, or a new Behringer DDM4000. Midi in/out would be nice as well.

As for a 2nd Technics, it makes sense to stick to one brand, rather than 2 different makes/models. Technics are going up in value, so I already know I won’t find as good a deal as I did on the 1st one. For whatever reason they didn’t have 2 Technics. Only the one. I might need to wait until some debts are cleared by late fall, so I’m in no hurry. I have a Mackie CFX20 desk mixer, but I might need a bigger one later. It does the job for now. But a 5 channel DJ mixer is mainly just for cueing up samples for my 202/505 & shortly 404. (Not to mention Akai S20 & ST224). But I might try to take some dj lessons & step up to learn some beat mixing on turntables BEFORE I learn on CDJs.

Anyway, I reached out to you Crane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:05 pm 

Today’s the day. I got a fresh pack of batteries, my trusty headphones, Korg Kaosspad mini, and plenty of RCA cables. Wish me luck!!